Not Sure About Sugar. First Foot Fungus Infection Ever And My Digestion Sucks More Than Ever

Peater Piper

I don't think that's true. I've reversed SIBO in a friend and Crohn's in another within days. Fruit juice, lettuce, meat, seafood for them. With the extra potatoes and basmati for the calories, and mineral water with high Calcium. The goal of my post is showing that a handful of foods give you all the micros in great balance.
Judging by the posts I've read here and on other forums, I would suspect your friends were fairly healthy otherwise? Once there's reduced thyroid function and other health issues layered on top of the intestinal issues, it becomes a complicated mess. Just about any food can cause issues in a very compromised person, which is how they end up eating a refined diet, because they've learned to avoid everything that causes distress (which in some people, can be almost all food). If simply switching to some fruit and meat were the fix for everyone, I think everyone would be doing it. It's not, unfortunately, which is why we have diets like AIP, specific carbohydrate, GAP, fast tract, elemental, FODMAPs, and other elimination diets. Many people move through them with limited success, because underlying problems that lead to the SIBO and dysbiosis in the first place aren't being corrected. Personally, as someone who spent the first 25 years of my life never experiencing any kind of stomach distress regardless of what I ate, I never understood why so many people had issues. Now that I have what I believe is SIBO, and have spent years playing with different foods and antimicrobials without much success, I now understand what an inconvenience it is, and I can still eat a fairly large variety of foods compared to many people (overdoing dairy or fruit of any type are a big no-no in my case, though).

Ulysses

Ray has said that apples are a good way to feed bacteria.
This. Apples are basically the only fruits that give me digestive trouble. I eventually had to cut them out of my diet completely because even one or two would cause horrible flatulence. I can tolerate applesauce much better, but it seems expensive (and obnoxiously far towards the low end of the energy density scale).

Herbie

This. Apples are basically the only fruits that give me digestive trouble. I eventually had to cut them out of my diet completely because even one or two would cause horrible flatulence. I can tolerate applesauce much better, but it seems expensive (and obnoxiously far towards the low end of the energy density scale).

Yeah he mentioned it in an east west healing interview.

Judging by the posts I've read here and on other forums, I would suspect your friends were fairly healthy otherwise? Once there's reduced thyroid function and other health issues layered on top of the intestinal issues, it becomes a complicated mess. Just about any food can cause issues in a very compromised person, which is how they end up eating a refined diet, because they've learned to avoid everything that causes distress (which in some people, can be almost all food). If simply switching to some fruit and meat were the fix for everyone, I think everyone would be doing it. It's not, unfortunately, which is why we have diets like AIP, specific carbohydrate, GAP, fast tract, elemental, FODMAPs, and other elimination diets. Many people move through them with limited success, because underlying problems that lead to the SIBO and dysbiosis in the first place aren't being corrected. Personally, as someone who spent the first 25 years of my life never experiencing any kind of stomach distress regardless of what I ate, I never understood why so many people had issues. Now that I have what I believe is SIBO, and have spent years playing with different foods and antimicrobials without much success, I now understand what an inconvenience it is, and I can still eat a fairly large variety of foods compared to many people (overdoing dairy or fruit of any type are a big no-no in my case, though).

I guess there's always a worse scenario but no, they were far from being healthy. Leaving the doctors totally clueless, or blaming the now trendy "stress".

People don't really wanna embrace a very basic diet though. I can understand that. But it really was as simple as sticking to this for a week:
  • wakeup: couple of fruits
  • AM snack: couple of fruits
  • lunch: 8oz seafood, side salad, betaine HCL
  • PM snack: couple of fruits
  • Workout nutrition: couple of fruits
  • dinner: 8oz meat, side salad, betaine HCL
  • pre-bed: dark chocolate
plus a quart of fortified OJ to sip on throughout the day, to which I’d add collagen peptides. Salt well. NO SUPPLEMENTS. This is my diet, and I suggest they switch basmati or tubers instead of fruit if fruit isn't tolerated.

dreamcatcher

I guess there's always a worse scenario but no, they were far from being healthy. Leaving the doctors totally clueless, or blaming the now trendy "stress".

People don't really wanna embrace a very basic diet though. I can understand that. But it really was as simple as sticking to this for a week:
plus a quart of fortified OJ to sip on throughout the day, to which I’d add collagen peptides. Salt well. NO SUPPLEMENTS. This is my diet, and I suggest they switch basmati or tubers instead of fruit if fruit isn't tolerated.
In regards to salads, Ray Peat advises against eating raw or undercooked vegetables, specially when there is weak digestion because it creates endotoxins.

somuch4food

The pectin of apples has been proven to feed beneficial bacteria. If they give you flatulence, I would look at the rest of your diet not simply avoid apples. Instead of having to remove something from your diet, you might have to add a missing piece and there might have some inconvenient symptoms that happen while your microbiota balance shifts.

Linbaba

In regards to the foot fungal infection, I would like to just share my experience about it.
I picked it up at some time when my immune system was severely suppressed from very little sleep (3 hours total for 3 days), almost no food, and a lot of physical activity (this was in the military), and had problems with a few warts on my hand, and a larger fungus-like wart or something below my foot. Of course I went to the doctor and got some creme to put on it. Kind of worked, but not very well, and it definitely didn't solve any of the underlying problems.

All of this was before my RP time, and I had self-diagnosed myself with Candida, so I went on a very low-sugar (and carb) diet, while I took a quite expensive supplement called Syntol AMD (a "yeast cleanse"). Went right on the therapeutic dose and I had some days with die-off, brain fog, memory problems and very low energy but things improved after about a week. The warts and the fungus under my foot was gone within a month. Also got more solid bowel movements.

Hans

Forum Supporter
sugar is only half glucose so it would not work to use sugar too carb load cause the other half is fructose. not only that its an oxidizer so it work like lighter fluid it makes things burn faster and your run out of fuel quicker. bread pasta rice oatmeal could be good sources of glucose for your work out.
Why would sugar not work for carb load?
Fructose isn't lighter or rocket fuel. Yes it burns a little faster than glucose yes, but the body can also increase and decrease glucose oxidation. The body wouldn't just go crazy and burn all its sources up and then the body is screwed. It's like the body is burning just fat until there is nothing left and you die. It doesn't work like that.

Sugar is the best carb source to replenish glycogen stores with and glucose and fructose works synergistically together to support and boost the metabolism.

Peater Piper

This is actually very similar to a diet I tried last summer, to awful results (felt light headed, digestion was awful, no energy). I'm definitely someone who does better with a bit more starch compared to fruit, but it's really more of a band aid for me, because my SIBO is still noticeable whenever I go a little too crazy with fruit.

valzim

This is actually very similar to a diet I tried last summer, to awful results (felt light headed, digestion was awful, no energy). I'm definitely someone who does better with a bit more starch compared to fruit, but it's really more of a band aid for me, because my SIBO is still noticeable whenever I go a little too crazy with fruit.
Can you elaborate on SIBO symptoms?
I’m trying to figure out things too.