Amazoniac

cream of tartar for extra potassium
Jenn, this is from Max Gerson's, A Cancer Therapy:

upload_2016-12-20_14-40-48.png

upload_2016-12-20_14-42-24.png

What do you think?

T

tca300

Honeydew melons are really high in potassium, as well as a decent source of magnesium, B6, Folate, and vitamin C. :cigar:

David PS

Insomnia

I missed this message. The idea that potassium, janellium, or whatever bitartrate is safe for being neutralized should also absolve lactate used in intravenous solutions.

@Insomnia

Thanks Amazoniac, I'll keep my hands off this stuff. My story does seem to indicate that I need potassium (still not sure though) but I need other reliable sources. My diet isn't netting it on a daily basis and I need approx 500-750mg extra potassium. Are there any potassium forms that are non-toxic and that are safe in small doses?

Amazoniac

B

Braveheart

The European RDA is 3500...much easier to reach, even on my current low carb...I think the US RDA is unnecessarily high.

jaakkima

[edit: posted this and then saw Amazoniac's post... Some good ideas there....Maybe can try some yam and tomato puree... :)]

Any other easy potassium source suggestions? Anyone think it would be feasible to temporarily rely only on supplemental potassium while dealing with restrictions? I realized I had to give up on OJ, most high potassium fruits, and milk as my gut can't tolerate any of them and I'm treating long-standing bacterial and fungal infections finally, and inflammation that went along with them. Considering relying completely on potassium supplementing? As the most convenient foods for me right now are rice, Coca-Cola, liver, ricotta, sour cream, prawns, eggs, venison, etc. Might try reintroducing some potatoes and coconut water soonish, I don't believe I have a hard time with either but will have to see. It's still gonna be hard as the most convenient K rich foods generally mess me up currently.

Last edited:

Motif

Yah coconut water is amazing for potassium. Also has a lot of magnesium. I find it odd that more people don't mention it around here.

1L coconut water gives:::
2.4g of potassium
67% sodium
60% manganese
60% magnesium
43% copper
42% B2
24% B6
24% B1

It even has a 1.2:1 ratio of calcium to phosphorus with 230mg of calcium, 0g of PUFA and 7g of protein.

I can get 100% potassium, magnesium and calcium from 2 latte's and a litre of coconut water and only 800 calories (200 of which is white sugar). I see no reason to supplement these things. Spend money on food.

But it's damn expensive

schultz

But it's damn expensive

Yah it can be a bit of a burden. There are a couple brands where I live that are on the cheaper side but also happen to be the best tasting.

Malee Coco and UFC coconut water. They both come in 1 litre containers and are between $2 and $3 CAD. In Canada that's a good price... Of course from what I remember everything is cheaper in the States (I lived there for a couple years). I would buy cheese for like $3 in the States and the same cheese here is $8+. When Trump brought up the issue a few months back about our dairy tariffs I was very excited that we might finally get cheaper dairy imports. It doesn't look like that materialized the way I wanted it to. We have up to 270% tariffs on imported dairy :(

jitsmonkey

Milk
OJ
Dates
Potatoes
get me to a minimum 5-7g potassium daily.
not hitting this level is one of the more notable benchmarks in my experience.
Its also pretty stunning how few people get enough (myself included prior to the last few years)

Hgreen56

Life-Threatening Hyperkalemia from Cream of Tartar Ingestion
"Based on its formula (C4H5KO6), cream of tartar is 20% potassium. A consumer bottle of cream of tartar usually contains about 28 g/oz; therefore, six tablespoons would be 3 oz or 84 g, of which 16.8 g (430 mmol) is potassium."

I have no idea how safe it is. I'm just sharing in case someone's interested.
Molecule of the Month: A pinch of salt is a matter of life and death:
"A large dose of several grams of potassium chloride will paralyse the central nervous system, cause convulsions, diarrhoea, kidney failure and rapid death from heart failure. But what Dr Cox did illegally in Britain is done legally in the United States - as a method of capital punishment. Condemned people who agree to donate their organs for transplants may be executed by 'non-toxic lethal injection' of potassium chloride. Unlike poison gas or the electric chair, it leaves all organs intact."

I am confused, if high intake potassium a day is not giving any health problems, than what exactly is dangerous then?
High amount potassium at once? or these potassium chloride aka losalt/cream of tartar stuff?

Last edited:

Amazoniac

I am confused, if high intake potassium a day is not giving any health problems, than what exactly is dangerous then?
High amount potassium at once? or these potassium chloride aka losalt/cream of tartar stuff?
Yes, a large dose at once that the person is not used to, 'overwhelming the ability' of the kidneys to clear it.

- Hyperkalemia from Dietary Supplements

"Normal kidneys can maintain potassium balance if the intake is increased to 500 mEq/d slowly over a prolonged period. This ability of the kidneys to handle a lethal potassium dose is called K+ adaptation [8]. Impaired kidneys cannot handle excess potassium acutely and hence consumption of salt substitutes can lead to hyperkalemia."​

- Cardiac arrest due to oral potassium intake

"The mechanism of developing hyperkalaemia after ingestion of potassium is probably twofold: (1) it takes time to take up potassium in the cells, which normally protects the extracellular fluid against hyperkalaemia and (2) the rate of absorption from the gastrointestinal tract exceeds the excretory capacity of the kidney when large amounts of potassium are ingested, which is aggravated by dehydration."​

- Life-threatening hyperkalemia from nutritional supplements: uncommon or undiagnosed?

"Severe hyperkalemia from oral potassium is extremely rare if kidney function is normal because of potassium adaptation. The oral potassium dose has to be large enough to overcome the normal renal excretory mechanisms to cause severe hyperkalemia. This occurs most commonly in patients with renal impairment or those who take potassium-sparing diuretics, angiotensin receptor blockers, or angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors."

"Once an urgent situation has been handled with intravenous push of a 10% calcium salt, short-term measures should be started with agents that cause a transcellular shift of potassium, namely, insulin with glucose, β2-agonist, and NaHCO3."​