Not eating or eating junk - what's worse?

JCastro

I have noticed that people who have reached 40 years of age and who have followed all kinds of restrictive diets suffer from more health problems compared to those people who did not starve themselves and ate whatever they could find.

They were likely testing out restrictive diets because of preexisting issues they were trying to ameliorate. People who are able to eat whatever they can find and not suffer for it are likely already physiologically resilient to be able to even do so. Ray Peat has admitted to being laid out in bed "for days" after eating a new brand of ice cream that didn't agree with him. He is one of the most sensitive and restrictive dieters in this sphere and has cultivated a severely selectively choice of foods and hasn't eaten at a restaurant in over 40 years due to his sensitivities.

Gânico

Eat if it is an occasional situation. If u are doing this everyday it will harm you, just find a way to bring some lunch with you or try searching for good, peaty filling foods at the nearest stores.

Lollipop2

They were likely testing out restrictive diets because of preexisting issues they were trying to ameliorate.
Not me. Just thinking I was eating healthy and kept experimenting that ultimately tanked my thyroid :-(

I think you painted a large brush stroke that is not accurate.

Not me. Just thinking I was eating healthy and kept experimenting that ultimately tanked my thyroid :-(

I think you painted a large brush stroke that is not accurate.
I fully agree with you. Before I got into vegetarianism and other fad diets due to dermatitis, I had no global health problems. I was in the best physical shape, looked and felt better. I didn't have depression or insomnia. But I had good eating habits since childhood and didn't eat fast food (less than once a month on average)

Lollipop2

I fully agree with you. Before I got into vegetarianism and other fad diets due to dermatitis, I had no global health problems. I was in the best physical shape, looked and felt better. I didn't have depression or insomnia. But I had good eating habits since childhood and didn't eat fast food (less than once a month on average)
Good for you!! You can recover quickly! Because you have such a good history.

Lollipop2

Oops, I misunderstood. Now, due to stupid diets, I have constant swelling, insomnia, joint pain, apathy, gray hair, lack of libido and much more at the age of 19. Strict diets have exhausted me completely.
Still. You understood! Because of your good background in health, you will be able to recover from all of these problems and you are still young! Just be persistent and you will be fine. It might take some time, but don’t worry about it, continue and be persistent!

Still. You understood! Because of your good background in health, you will be able to recover from all of these problems and you are still young! Just be persistent and you will be fine. It might take some time, but don’t worry about it, continue and be persistent!
Thanks. Have you been able to cope with the weakening of the thyroid gland?

Lollipop2

It's great, I'm very happy for you (seriously). I'm very curious to know what foods your diet consists of? I promise I won't copy.
LoL 😂 you can copy all you want! I write that because I eat a large variety of food - a normal diet of sorts EXCEPT FOR A FEW things like:

*NO PUFA oils, ONLY butter, ghee, olive oil, coconut oil
*I eat organic, fresh, homemade NO chemicals or additives in the food - simply won’t buy it with additives. If I can’t find it without, I end up making it homemade.
*I drink whole milk - low temp pasteurized non homogenized.
*Make my own homemade lemon/orange ade with maple syrup and sparkling water.
*I drink sparkling water if I drink water.
*Some starches - occasionally homemade bread, occasionally/rarely white rice, occasionally potatoes, occasionally popcorn cooked in ghee/or air popped with coconut oil, etc., my homemade granola
*Occasionally pecans - just love love love them.
*Veggies - like tomorrow will have roasted broccolini with my beef short rib steak. Occasionally roasted garlic and cauliflower, etc, fresh organic tomatoes, organic cucumbers, organic radishes, organic turnip, organic leeks, shiitake mushrooms.
*I do NOT eat leafy salads or cook greens. My salad I make occasionally is with eggs, crumbled cheddar cheese, organic radishes, apples and my homemade lemon, olive oil dressing.
*Occasionally black eyed peas with butter, onion, green bell pepper, and beef sausage flavored Cajun style.
*Eggs, Grassfed beef - mostly ground, regenerative farming, pasture raised chicken thighs, occasionally white fish and shrimp/crab/crawfish/oysters
*Fruit - grapes, apples, golden berries, blueberries, cantelope, watermelon
*Cheese with no enzymes like gouda, cheddar, cottage cheese, ice cream without gums, stabilizers etc.

I am certain I have forgotten a few things but you get the idea. I don’t drink alcohol, smoke, nor do any drugs.

Lollipop2

LoL 😂 you can copy all you want! I write that because I eat a large variety of food - a normal diet of sorts EXCEPT FOR A FEW things like:

*NO PUFA oils, ONLY butter, ghee, olive oil, coconut oil
*I eat organic, fresh, homemade NO chemicals or additives in the food - simply won’t buy it with additives. If I can’t find it without, I end up making it homemade.
*I drink whole milk - low temp pasteurized non homogenized.
*Make my own homemade lemon/orange ade with maple syrup and sparkling water.
*I drink sparkling water if I drink water.
*Some starches - occasionally homemade bread, occasionally/rarely white rice, occasionally potatoes, occasionally popcorn cooked in ghee/or air popped with coconut oil, etc., my homemade granola
*Occasionally pecans - just love love love them.
*Veggies - like tomorrow will have roasted broccolini with my beef short rib steak. Occasionally roasted garlic and cauliflower, etc, fresh organic tomatoes, organic cucumbers, organic radishes, organic turnip, organic leeks, shiitake mushrooms.
*I do NOT eat leafy salads or cook greens. My salad I make occasionally is with eggs, crumbled cheddar cheese, organic radishes, apples and my homemade lemon, olive oil dressing.
*Occasionally black eyed peas with butter, onion, green bell pepper, and beef sausage flavored Cajun style.
*Eggs, Grassfed beef - mostly ground, regenerative farming, pasture raised chicken thighs, occasionally white fish and shrimp/crab/crawfish/oysters
*Fruit - grapes, apples, golden berries, blueberries, cantelope, watermelon
*Cheese with no enzymes like gouda, cheddar, cottage cheese, ice cream without gums, stabilizers etc.

I am certain I have forgotten a few things but you get the idea. I don’t drink alcohol, smoke, nor do any drugs.
@DenizkaRedizka also:

Tortilla chips cooked in coconut oil, corn tortillas, homemade pancakes from organic Einkorn flour, homemade enchiladas etc etc etc. I hope you get the point, a variety of quality food!

peatyzilian

When i'm on this situation, i always choose the ''less bad'' option.
For example: when i'm very hungry and there is only junk food available, i check the nutrition facts and choose the junk food that has less pufa.