Nose Bleeding

lindsay

I haven't had a nose bleed in a VERY long time until yesterday. And I just had another really bad one. The weird part about it is, I've been supplementing Progest-e for a long time now, as well as vitamin E ( although I've taken less than I normally do the past week, actually) and Vitamin K2 (5 - 10 mg daily). I noticed having a very bad headache the other day (which advil didn't help) and it was kind of bad today. And then I went to take a bath and the nose flood gates opened and it's kind of scary.

Any thoughts? Maybe just ate something irritating?? This never happens to me, so it's a little bit disconcerting. However, we've had the heat on high in the cold weather, so maybe it's just caused by dryness? Any thoughts from anyone else who's had nose bleeds in the past? Can I do something to stop them?? I no longer take aspirin, so that is not an issue. I just eat oranges and a good amount of OJ.

jyb

I assume you meant 5-10mg of K2. That's a lot and in my experience should take care of any K2 depletion effect of supplements such as E or aspirin.

tara

I don't know what's going on for you, but I'd like to. I've never had nosebleeds in my life either until I had one a couple of weeks ago. I have had at least 2-3 mg K2 at least every 2-3 days for months; occsional aspirin, occasional ibuprofen.

HDD

I emailed about nosebleeds for my pregnant daughter.

Dear Dr. Peat,
My daughter is 37 weeks pregnant and is experiencing frequent nosebleeds. Is this normal because of increase in blood volume? She is planning a home water birth.

RP-
"Does she take a vitamin K supplement, or eat kale, aged cheese, and/or liver regularly? Has she had her vitamin D measured?"

Peata

lindsay said:
I haven't had a nose bleed in a VERY long time until yesterday. And I just had another really bad one. The weird part about it is, I've been supplementing Progest-e for a long time now, as well as vitamin E ( although I've taken less than I normally do the past week, actually) and Vitamin K2 (5,000 - 10,000 mg daily). I noticed having a very bad headache the other day (which advil didn't help) and it was kind of bad today. And then I went to take a bath and the nose flood gates opened and it's kind of scary.

Any thoughts? Maybe just ate something irritating?? This never happens to me, so it's a little bit disconcerting. However, we've had the heat on high in the cold weather, so maybe it's just caused by dryness? Any thoughts from anyone else who's had nose bleeds in the past? Can I do something to stop them?? I no longer take aspirin, so that is not an issue. I just eat oranges and a good amount of OJ.

I don't have a guess for the nosebleeds other than perhaps dryness if you're in a cold climate with a lot of heat on. I didn't have a bleed, but I noticed yesterday when blowing nose there was a scant amount of evidence it could have been happening in nasal passages.

But I was curious since you mentioned vitamin E in progest-E and a supplement - is vitamin E known to increase bleeding?

Vita3

Lindsay, it can be dry air, I had it only once in my life , long time ago, but not serious, at school. The air in the class was very dry and it was very hot, I felt also suddenly weak and warm and my nose started bleeding(very little).

One thing else, did you eat enough this day? Did you sleep well?

OP
lindsay

lindsay

jyb said:
I assume you meant 5-10mg of K2. That's a lot and in my experience should take care of any K2 depletion effect of supplements such as E or aspirin.

Yes - sorry! I was thinking of 5,000 - 10,000 daily percent, which is what's on the label. But each capsule is 5,000 mg. Just got another nose bleed now.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

tara said:
I don't know what's going on for you, but I'd like to. I've never had nosebleeds in my life either until I had one a couple of weeks ago. I have had at least 2-3 mg K2 at least every 2-3 days for months; occsional aspirin, occasional ibuprofen.

I just had another one this morning. It's making me nervous, since I've had the humidifier running all morning to help with the dryness. They seem to happen after taking a shower or bath, which is interesting. And they aren't little either. I take about 5 - 10 mg of K2 daily and don't take aspirin - only vitamin E. But I don't take a lot of vitamin E, so it's strange.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

HDD said:

Dear Dr. Peat,
My daughter is 37 weeks pregnant and is experiencing frequent nosebleeds. Is this normal because of increase in blood volume? She is planning a home water birth.

RP-
"Does she take a vitamin K supplement, or eat kale, aged cheese, and/or liver regularly? Has she had her vitamin D measured?"

Gosh! I hope I am not pregnant! Although, that's an interesting correlation. I take daily vitamin K2 (5 - 10 mg) and eat a lot of aged cheese. It's my favorite snack. Probably eat 3 or 4 oz. of cheddar, havarti, etc. daily. I hate liver, which is why I take a K2 supplement. But thanks for the bit about Vitamin D. It is winter and I don't get as much sun.

jyb

lindsay said:
I just had another one this morning. It's making me nervous, since I've had the humidifier running all morning to help with the dryness. They seem to happen after taking a shower or bath, which is interesting. And they aren't little either. I take about 5 - 10 mg of K2 daily and don't take aspirin - only vitamin E. But I don't take a lot of vitamin E, so it's strange.

Well have you tried stopping vit E? Maybe even protest-e temporarily. Because E does deplete K, so it would be the priority to test in my opinion.

Poppyseed13

Hello. My mother and I both experience nosebleeds when our estrogen spikes. Progesterone (Progest-E) was not enough to counter spiking estrogen --especially during perimenopause and menopause. Additionally, we take Vitamin K and D, etc. --but still had regular nose bleeds. But when we took supplemental Potassium our nose bleeds largely stopped.

See: "Potassium: A New Treatment for Premenstrual Syndrome." _Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine._ Vol.13, No. 4, 1998. Beckie E. Takacs, M.S.

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

HDD

lindsay said:
HDD said:

Dear Dr. Peat,

RP-

Gosh! I hope I am not pregnant! Although, that's an interesting correlation. I take daily vitamin K2 (5 - 10 mg) and eat a lot of aged cheese. It's my favorite snack. Probably eat 3 or 4 oz. of cheddar, havarti, etc. daily. I hate liver, which is why I take a K2 supplement. But thanks for the bit about Vitamin D. It is winter and I don't get as much sun.

I remembered you live in the northeast, so thought the vitamin D bit could be relevant. I wasn't suggesting you were pregnant, but it could be a nice surprise? :D

north

Only thing that helped with this for me was riboflavin. Even just one dose had an effect for more than a week.
K never did anything. But I guess it depends on the individual.

i tried riboflavin after reading this by Peat:

"A 3 year-old child who had been having an average of 3 nosebleeds every day, during a nap and at night, for several months, also had an extreme behavior problem. He became angry and sometimes violent when he went a little longer than normal between meals. After an oral dose of about ten milligrams of riboflavin, he was able to sleep without having another recurrence of the nosebleeds, and his tantrums became rare. Apparently, the nerve-regulated vasodilation produced by sleep, combined with a riboflavin deficiency, had been enough to produce nosebleeds."
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ro ... ging.shtml

OP
lindsay

lindsay

north said:
Only thing that helped with this for me was riboflavin. Even just one dose had an effect for more than a week.
K never did anything. But I guess it depends on the individual.

i tried riboflavin after reading this by Peat:

"A 3 year-old child who had been having an average of 3 nosebleeds every day, during a nap and at night, for several months, also had an extreme behavior problem. He became angry and sometimes violent when he went a little longer than normal between meals. After an oral dose of about ten milligrams of riboflavin, he was able to sleep without having another recurrence of the nosebleeds, and his tantrums became rare. Apparently, the nerve-regulated vasodilation produced by sleep, combined with a riboflavin deficiency, had been enough to produce nosebleeds."
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ro ... ging.shtml

Thank you so much for this bit of info. I've had a nosebleed everyday since Saturday at this point. But not as bad as the one on Sunday. I eat a lot of cheese and seafood, so maybe I will add some beef into my diet this week (since it's also high in Riboflavin). Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Ulla

I didn't go through a whole thread but in last 6 or so months I am noticing some sort of nose bleeding. It comes and goes away.

It is not nose bleeding exactly but more like that:
In the morning when I blow my nose I see some coagulated blood. Like a little spots, one or two.
If I repeat blowing my nose right after there is none left.

I see that kind of blood also when I step down of the riding bicycle in cold weather and blow my nose. In cold weather my nose is always running.

I would say blood spots are because of winter time (freezing temperatures and little capillaries cracks) but I already noticed this in summer 2015. It disappeared meantime but lately has recurred.
I cannot figure out what was different in my diet.

I read that nose bleeding is because of vitamin K depletion but I am supplementing it and also eat a lot of spinach and kiwi last weeks.
I have no idea what could that be.

I need to add that nose bleeding is something that I don't have in my life. Right now I am talking about little bloody spots.
Any idea?
It seems like my veins aren't strong enough?
My blood pressure is low.

SAFarmer

Thank you so much for this bit of info. I've had a nosebleed everyday since Saturday at this point. But not as bad as the one on Sunday. I eat a lot of cheese and seafood, so maybe I will add some beef into my diet this week (since it's also high in Riboflavin). Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Hi Lindsay. I'm just curius if you supplemented Riboflavin (Vit B2) and if it worked for your nose bleeds ?

OP
lindsay

lindsay

Hi Lindsay. I'm just curius if you supplemented Riboflavin (Vit B2) and if it worked for your nose bleeds ?

Hi SAFarmer. I did not end up needing to supplement Riboflavin because the nose bleeds stopped when I stopped taking aspirin. I still take baby aspirin sometimes, but too much aspirin makes me prone to bruising and during the winter with the dry indoor conditions, nose bleeds were problematic. But I haven't had a nose bleed in quite some time now. Sorry I can not be of more help.

SAFarmer

Hi SAFarmer. I did not end up needing to supplement Riboflavin because the nose bleeds stopped when I stopped taking aspirin. I still take baby aspirin sometimes, but too much aspirin makes me prone to bruising and during the winter with the dry indoor conditions, nose bleeds were problematic. But I haven't had a nose bleed in quite some time now. Sorry I can not be of more help.
Good to hear. Probably also means you have less stress !

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals