haidut

As most of the people on this forum know, Peat has spoken many times about the optimal values of TSH and has said that its value should be as close to 0 as possible. I posted a study some time ago showing that "normal" TSH levels above 2 are associated with a number of health issues that baffle doctors trying to diagnose them.
Optimal Levels Of TSH Are Much Lower Than Official Guidelines

As a confirmation of the study above, this new study below shows that TSH values above 2 are likely the cause of many cases of unexplained infertility in females. As the study below hints (and controls for), prolactin is the leading biomarker that most doctors check when a female patient is infertile and most doctors do not bother checking TSH or other biomarkers of thyroid function. On top of that, many doctors consider TSH values hovering around 2 to be a sign of impending HYPER-thyroidism. Thus, many females may be iatrogenically driven into infertility by being told to eat goitrogens in order so suppress thyroid function or (worse) are put on thyroid-suppressive drugs. Conversely, if a female is having trouble conceiving despite normal prolactin levels, this study should serve as a justification to ask the doctor to run a thyroid panel.
Finally, as the first thread on TSH above mentions, TSH is also strongly correlated with cortisol levels and as such is inversely correlated with testosterone (and thus fertility) in males. Put in another way, TSH is a good biomarker of hypogonadism in males and suboptimal ovarian function in females. So, I think TSH may be a decent biomarker to check for both the man and woman in any couple having trouble conceiving.

Higher TSH levels within the normal range are associated with unexplained infertility | The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism | Oxford Academic
"...Women with UI had significantly higher TSH levels than controls (UI: 1.95mIU/L [1.54, 2.61] versus severe male factor: 1.66mIU/L [1.25, 2.17]; p=0.003). This finding remained significant after controlling for age, BMI and smoking status. Nearly twice as many women with UI (26.9%) had a TSH >2.5mIU/L compared to controls (13.5%; p<0.05). Prolactin levels did not differ between the groups.
Conclusions: Women with UI have higher TSH levels compared to a control population. Further studies are warranted to determine if treatment of high-normal TSH levels decreases time to conception in couples with UI."

ddjd

prolactin is the leading biomarker that most doctors check
is prolactin a generally stable blood marker? i.e. it doesn't vary too much throughout the day, but reflects cumulative stress or lack of stress?

haidut

is prolactin a generally stable blood marker? i.e. it doesn't vary too much throughout the day, but reflects cumulative stress or lack of stress?

It is both an acute and chronic biomarker of stress. So, it is best checked a few months in a row and if it is always elevated then it is a reliable indicator of high stress load. It can also be combined with AM/PM cortisol for even better indication of how well the organism is doing.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Chris-R Anybody Else Have Hypothyroid Symptoms With Low/normal TSH? Polls 16
ecstatichamster Cortisol Lowers TSH - Can Make Hypo Thyroid Person Seem "normal" Scientific Studies 3
ecstatichamster Even “normal” TSH Levels Correlate With Arterial Stiffness Scientific Studies 5
VendettaRed911 Stopping Thyroid Hormone - How Long Until TSH Returns Back To Normal Ask For Help or Advice 11
N Normal TSH (1.3) But Low Thyroid Hormones Thyroid and Hormones 25
bionicheart Anemic, TIBC Still Low, TSH Good/normal, Help? Blood Work, Labs 6
D TSH Normal But Feel Tired All The Time? Metabolism 1
L Low T3 With Normal TSH Blood Work, Labs 1
M TSH goes from hyper to normal Messtafarian 5
B High TSH, Normal T4 Blood Work, Labs 9
Attakai Cured my fatty liver and shrank it to normal size in under a year Blood Work, Labs 26
username Is it normal to get very pale stools from drinking lots of milk? Milk 6
S Using Thyroid Despite Normal Temps? Thyroid and Hormones 7
T Ok Updated Thyroid Is This Normal Bad Or Good? Blood Work, Labs 1
haidut Simple Metabolic Change Sufficient To Turn "normal" Cells Into "cancer" Scientific Studies 3
Energizer Five Ways “The New Normal” Is Getting Worse And Worse. Curfew, Masks At Home, Immunity Passports, … Breaking News 0
Orangeyouglad Why Would I Have Normal/High Blood Cortisol, But Low Saliva Cortisol? Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 1
ScurveDream Time To Revolt? Mask Mandates & Social Distancing & The "new Normal?" The Ray Peat Forum Lounge 51
yerrag A Better "New Normal." No To The Tyranny Of The Drugged And Vaccinated Miscellaneous Health Discussions 10
M Fight Back! This Is Not The New Normal! Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 16
fitnessgirl High Diastolic Blood Pressure, Low/normal Systolic? Blood Work, Labs 1
Drareg Please, Let’s Not Go Back To Normal( Celebrities) Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 6
H ‘Incredibly’ Low Progesterone Levels For An Adolescent Normal? Blood Work, Labs 28
J Why Is Raw Milk And Pro Biotics Giving Me Issues But Not Normal Milk? Working Through Milk Issues 5
S High Iron Saturation, Normal Ferritin Blood Work, Labs 1
C Feel Cold With Cold Hands And Feet But Normal Temp? Ask For Help or Advice 3
Kingpinguin Why Do People Think New Coronavirus Is A Normal Flu? Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 180
Amber Low/Normal BMI, Diagnosed With Liver Fibrosis. Need Help Heart, Heart Rate, Blood Pressure 13
V Hypothyroidism With Normal Values? Metabolism 28
GorillaHead Just How Healthy Or Normal Is A High High Sex Drive Male Issues 31
GorillaHead What Would Cause Low Zinc Hair Tests But Upper Normal Serum? Hair & Nails 9
T I Can Feel My Heart Beating And My Pulse When I'm Sat Still - Is This Normal And What Could It Mean? Ask For Help or Advice 24
Lewis Acid Medical Therapy For Decreased Orgasm With Normal Hormone Profile Sexuality 2
Gadsie "Infrared" Incandescent, Same As Normal Incandescent? Light 1
JCastro Dangers Of Iodized Salt; Normal Use Rapidly Induces Iodine Toxicity Scientific Studies 55
_lppaiva Sooo Hungry! Is It Normal? Diet 16
Tristan Loscha Study:Normal To High NaCl Intake Is Associated WithPsoriasis, CNS-Disorders,IL17 Sodium 7
E ALT High AST Normal. What Do I Have To Do ? Ask For Help or Advice 0
tankasnowgod Just Ended An Early Morning Work Shift, Going To "Normal" Hours Insomnia, Sleep Issues 3
Lejeboca Lower Body Temperature Ranges Might Be Now Considered Normal In Adults Scientific Studies 3
T Thyroid, Cortisol, Prolactin, Estrogen, Testosterone Are Normal - So Why Are Temps And Pulse So Low? Blood Work, Labs 29
Viiiiyu Dont Drink Water Nor Much Liquid Food.Normal? Diet 0
K Normal Temp / Low Pulse Rate Metabolism 8
NHF Could One With Normal Thyroid Levels Follow Peat's Eating Advice? Blood Sugar 6
JanP Normal Serum Copper, Very High Free Serum Copper Ask For Help or Advice 1
F Low Free T Due To Normal TT But High SHBG & Albumin Blood Work, Labs 4
Aleeri Normal Progesterone Levels In Men? Blood Work, Labs 29
Mito The Plasma NAD+ Metabolome Is Dysregulated In ‘‘Normal’’ Aging Scientific Studies 18
T Any Ladies Back To Normal After Coming Off Birth Control? My GF Is Putting On Weight Fast Female Issues 15
X Taking DHEA At The Age Of 17. Is It Normal? DHEA 3