Normal Ground Beef: Is There Any Gelatin Or Organs In There?

encerent

The normal ground beef at the grocery store: does it have a significant amount of gelatin or organs?

Does fattier ground beef have more gelatin and organs?

tankasnowgod

The normal ground beef at the grocery store: does it have a significant amount of gelatin or organs?

Does fattier ground beef have more gelatin and organs?

Organs, likely no. Gelatin, maybe. Glycine? Yes, quite a bit. I think most ground beef has a 3:1 Glycine to Methionine ratio, if you are interested in such a thing.

There is a place called Novy Ranch in California that offers an "Organ Blend" of heart, kidney, and tongue, that can be used as ground beef. That stuff tastes great, if you have access.

tara

I asked a local butcher what goes into their mince, and they said it was the off-cuts from all the other cuts they prepared - steak etc from various parts. My understanding was that meant muscles not other organs, not particularly much gristle, and a mix of tougher (more collagen/glycine?) and tenderer cuts. I'm guessing the local supermarket butchers do similar.

I think McDonalds likes to brag that all their burgers are from chuck, so I doubt it gets any worse (or better in our case) than that.

lvysaur

chuck actually has quite a bit of gelatin in it.

Giraffe

Where I live (I think it's European law, actually) there are upper limits for the amount of collagen allowed in ground meat. It is around 15% of the proteins (depends on the kind of meat). Producers have to declare that the amount is not higher than that.

Last edited:
OP
encerent

encerent

Organs, likely no. Gelatin, maybe. Glycine? Yes, quite a bit. I think most ground beef has a 3:1 Glycine to Methionine ratio, if you are interested in such a thing.

There is a place called Novy Ranch in California that offers an "Organ Blend" of heart, kidney, and tongue, that can be used as ground beef. That stuff tastes great, if you have access.

Specific organ blends cost too much. I was hoping to get a decent amount of organ and collagen/gelatin in normal ground beef. People 'round here (AMERICA) don't seem to like gelatinous cuts nor organs much so I hoped they would try to get rid of some of that stuff in the ground beef.

Birdie

Yes, I always hope there is plenty of collagen in it.
If you were to ask, they'd think you were complaining.
@Such_Saturation is so funny.