Normal Blood Tests But Hypothyroid Symptoms

mrdannyg3

Hi all - 28yr old male. New to the forum. I have been researching and learning about the Ray Peat style of eating for about 8 months now when I came across Danny Roddy. Like most here, it took a while to understand Peat's articles but the information has been invaluable, with special thanks to everyone on this forum contributing thoughts and opinions. Anyways, I have seen improvements in my health as I changed my diet to a Peat way of eating. However, recently I have had bad insomnia from stress and life circumstances. It pushed me to see my doctor and get some tests done. I mentioned possible thyroid issues to the doc and he did the following tests below as well as a general health panel. The tests came back in the normal range, but I have every hypothyroid symptom in the book.. cold hands and feet, dandruff, low body temp and pulse (96 in the morning, 60s pulse), dry skin, ridged nails, sleeping issues, yellow palms, poor digestion. And these symptoms have been as long as I can remember. Below are the tests. In a nutshell, I am trying to understand why I exhibit hypothyroid-like symptoms yet appear healthy based off of standard tests? Any feedback? Diet is largely milk, oj, potatoes, gelatin, liver, carrot salad, the works. Much appreciated, guys.

T4 Free: 1.2 ng/dL (normal is .8-1.8)
T3 Free: 3.1 pg/mL (normal is 2.3-4.2)
TSH: 1.2 mIU/L (normal is .4-4.5)
Testosterone: 481 ng/dL (normal is 250-827)

HLP

No one else welcomed you yet?? You seem to be on the right track and have done your homework. I had similar trouble with normal labs with hypothyroid symptoms. You are in the right place for fixing things and empowering yourself.

OP
M

mrdannyg3

Thanks @HLP for the welcome. I have been feeling a lot better, actually. Ironically, nothing specifically was changed in my diet to obtain this result, it came more so from adding activities in my life that are meaningful and interesting to me. Go figure. In my case, I was just worrying too much about how I was feeling. However, I have added coffee, niacinimide, and aspirin daily. So who knows. I wouldn't say I'm completely out of the woods yet. But sleeping now with more daily energy. That's such a big plus.

aguilaroja

Thanks...I have been feeling a lot better, actually....it came more so from adding activities in my life that are meaningful and interesting to me ...I have added coffee, niacinimide, and aspirin daily....
[/USER]

Glad to hear things are better.

Blood tests alone are NOT a full assessment of thyroid function and metabolism.

Restorative measures, especially newly started after long depletion, work more quickly in the months of more daylight (and warmth and infrared). In the northern hemisphere, the accumulated cycle of months of winter stress has turned.
- -
Genes, Carbon Dioxide and Adaptation.
“Curiosity, esthetics, creativity, and stimulation are necessarily and deeply linked to metabolic efficiency and structural-anatomical development. For example, the known effects of stimulation and success (or isolation and depression) on brain anatomy and function should be linked meaningfully with metabolic, hormonal and dietary processes.”

Serotonin: Effects in disease, aging and inflammation
“…there have been suggestions that early life isolation of an animal can affect its serotonergic activity and increase its anxiety, aggression, or susceptibility to stress ..., and these effects are associated with increased risk of becoming depressed, and developing organic problems. Animals kept in darkness...become nearsighted, as the eyeball grows longer under the influence of increased serotonin, and the eyes are protected against myopia by serotonin antagonists....”[/user]

Opioidus

It seems to be a common thread that a significant number of people suffer from hypothyroidism despite normal or even optimal labs. I am one of those people and as I have said elsewhere on this forum I take T4 on my own, I know most of this website and Peat are against T4 only treatments but it works.
If I wanted to listen to others instead of my own body I wouldn't be even taking the T4 to begin with since "you're not hypothyroid". T4 makes me more social, less anxious, more energetic, it improves my adhd, it helps with motivation massively.

If hyoerphagia and weight gain weren't a problem I'd be on this stuff indefinitely.

I've met plenty of other people online with a similar situation. And interestingly we're all children of alcoholics or addicts!