Nordic Diet Recommendation Given Genetics

baccheion

I ran my genes through a diet recommendation service (My Gene Food). Nordic diet (55/20/25 carbs/protein/fats%; 10/65/25 fruits/fiber/grains%; 60/17.5/20/2.5 beans/poultry/seafood/red-meat-eggs%; 30/30/20/20 MUFA/omega-3/omega-6/SFA; no dairy, as I'm likely lactose intolerant) was the recommendation.

Thoughts on the high amount of PUFAs (12.5% of calories) and making it work? Does a 3:2 n-3:n-6 ratio along with MUFA protect against lipid peroxidation? What are other concerns?

Apparently, I have unfavorable saturated fat processing and very good carbohydrate processing. Favorable conversion of carotenoids and precursor PUFAs. Celiac genes were favorable, leading to little worry about gluten. More omega-3 than omega-6 (3:2), as I have genes that bias toward oxidative stress and inflammation. Or maybe it was due to APOE 4/3 or G6PD.

Effectively, it appears staples are beans and starches/fiber. Chia and flax seeds. Walnuts. Olive oil. Etc.

Nordic - Gene Food

Last edited:

Kartoffel

I ran my genes through a diet recommendation service (My Gene Food). Nordic diet (55/20/25 carbs/protein/fats%; 10/65/25 fruits/fiber/grains%; 60/17.5/20/2.5 beans/poultry/seafood/red-meat-eggs%; 30/30/20/20 MUFA/omega-3/omega-6/SFA; no dairy, as I'm likely lactose intolerant) was the recommendation.

Thoughts on the high amount of PUFAs (12.5% of calories) and making it work?

Apparently, I have unfavorable saturated fat processing and very good carbohydrate processing. Favorable conversion of carotenoids and precursor PUFAs. Celiac genes were favorable, leading to little worry about gluten. More omega-3 than omega-6 (3:2), as I have genes that bias toward oxidative stress and inflammation. Or maybe it was due to APOE 4/3 or G6PD.

Effectively, it appears staples are beans and starches/fiber. Chia and flax seeds. Walnuts. Olive oil. Etc.

Nordic - Gene Food

Well, good luck with that.

redsun

Thoughts on the high amount of PUFAs (12.5% of calories) and making it work?

Nordic - Gene Food

Nords and beans? That doesn't sounds right...

I thought "gene foods" was largely a myth.

Like so many things are proven to be accountable for non-genetically, I would assume food to a large extent also applies in this regard.

I honestly don't know if I could trust "genetic-based 'X'" much after seeing so many things believed to be genetic shown to be more environmental/epigenetic than anything, giving straight-up genes a much smaller role to play (overall) in most life affairs, including health.

OP
B

baccheion

Nords and beans? That doesn't sounds right...
Protein breakdown..

60% Plant
Lentils, black beans, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, pinto beans, navy beans, chickpeas, walnuts, broccoli, natto

17.5% Meat
Small portions of pastured poultry

20% Seafood
Wild salmon, sardines, cod

2.5% Dairy
None or small amounts of goat and sheep dairy and pasture eggs

Avoid
Most dairy products, beef, pork, processed meats, processed plant proteins such as tempeh

OP
B

baccheion

I thought "gene foods" was largely a myth.

Like so many things are proven to be accountable for non-genetically, I would assume food to a large extent also applies in this regard.

I honestly don't know if I could trust "genetic-based 'X'" much after seeing so many things believed to be genetic shown to be more environmental/epigenetic than anything, giving straight-up genes a much smaller role to play (overall) in most life affairs, including health.
Could be. Recommendations appear to match my genes, though. How would I change my predisposition toward poor handling of saturated fats, for example? APOE 4/3? G6PD?

Could be. Recommendations appear to match my genes, though. How would I change my predisposition toward poor handling of saturated fats, for example? APOE 4/3? G6PD?

Not sure, but I would just personally lower fat intake I guess for the time being (like under 20g most days if you think you really can't handle them or know it).

You could also look at this a different way and balance out an optimal SFA with heightened choline intake, among other considerations:

Saturated Fats (SFA) Increase Glucose Oxidation While PUFA Decrease It

SFA Causes More Liver And Visceral Fat Accumulation Than PUFA

Saturated Fat Is More Metabolically Harmful For The Human Liver Than Unsaturated Fats Or Sugars (?)
(Read the last post)

I don't personally see loads of saturated fat as healthy in general for anyone (all elevated fats can be bad) but generally better than PUFA overall of course. I think most of the diet should always be carbs ideally -- least should be fat for the most part anyways.

Basically if one is not handling SFA well it could be not part of an optimal diet or metabolism like many things (i.e., not likely a "genetic problem" or etc.).

OP
B

baccheion

Not sure, but I would just personally lower fat intake I guess for the time being (like under 20g most days if you think you really can't handle them or know it).

You could also look at this a different way and balance out an optimal SFA with heightened choline intake, among other considerations:

Saturated Fats (SFA) Increase Glucose Oxidation While PUFA Decrease It

SFA Causes More Liver And Visceral Fat Accumulation Than PUFA

Saturated Fat Is More Metabolically Harmful For The Human Liver Than Unsaturated Fats Or Sugars (?)
(Read the last post)

I don't personally see loads of saturated fat as healthy in general for anyone (all elevated fats can be bad) but generally better than PUFA overall of course. I think most of the diet should always be carbs ideally -- least should be fat for the most part anyways.

Basically if one is not handling SFA well it could be not part of an optimal diet or metabolism like many things (i.e., not likely a "genetic problem" or etc.).
The service recommends 25% of calories from fat, a lower but not low fat diet. The percentage lines up with my own assessment. 30% MUFA, 50% PUFA (3:2 n-3:n-6), and 20% SFA. That puts SFA at 5% of calories. APOE 4/3s are recommended to keep SFA below 7%, so it's also been consistent in that regard.

I wouldn't have flinched regarding PUFA%, but then I managed across this forum some time ago.

The service recommends 25% of calories from fat, a lower but not low fat diet. The percentage lines up with my own assessment. Further, 30% MUFA, 50% PUFA (3:2 n-3:n-6), and 20% SFA. That puts SFA at 5% of calories.

I wouldn't have flinched regarding PUFA%, but then I managed across this forum some time ago.

Eh, well, that 10+% PUFA seems a bit higher than necessary. Maybe you could leave it as is (overall diet) but play around with switching the fat types up a little (i.e., try more MUFA and less PUFA or replace SFA with PUFA temporarily and see where you go there). A 12% SFA diet sounds like it'd work for nearly anyone if placed in a sufficient diet with factors as I linked above implemented -- if not then there is always just lowering all fat altogether even more and upping protein/carbs. PUFA is pretty much unavoidable, but the general idea is that they aren't very much necessary (high amounts unneeded) -- and in higher doses/portion totals of a dietary intake have many more cons than pros.

OP
B

baccheion

Eh, well, that 10+% PUFA seems a bit higher than necessary. Maybe you could leave it as is (overall diet) but play around with switching the fat types up a little (i.e., try more MUFA and less PUFA or replace SFA with PUFA temporarily and see where you go there). A 12% SFA diet sounds like it'd work for nearly anyone if placed in a sufficient diet with factors as I linked above implemented -- if not then there is always just lowering all fat altogether even more and upping protein/carbs. PUFA is pretty much unavoidable, but the general idea is that they aren't very much necessary (high amounts unneeded) -- and in higher doses/portion totals of a dietary intake have many more cons than pros.
I'm wondering about the cons and if they are relevant given my genetic makeup. What are they? I'm aware of lipid peroxidation (MUFAs like okive oil are said to lower) and inflammation/oxidative-stress (said to be due to omega-6s and is rebalanced by sufficient omega-3s). What else and what can be done about them?

OP
B

baccheion

What about your genes.Your actual genes.
You have some phony beans-diet as recommendation received,
What do they say and have to show as analysis,what genes did they test for etcetc.
They have 136 SNPs listed at the bottom of the report. Would be a pain to copy them all. Some of the genes: PPARG, APOA2, FTO, ACE, G6PD, FADS1, ADIPOQ, CBS, NOS3, MTHFR, APOE..

They have 136 genes listed at the bottom of the report. Would be a pain to copy them all. Some: PPARG, APOA2, FTO, ACE, G6PD, FADS1, APOE..

I see.
I would advise against their diet reccomendations though,lol.
I dont know if they know what they are talking about.

OP
B

baccheion

I see.
I would advise against their diet reccomendations though,lol.
I dont know if they know what they are talking about.
Why? What would you recommend and based on what? Switch from saturated fats to olive oil, but keep everything else Peaty? Drink milk anyway, though likelihood of intolerance is higher? Fruits anyway? What foods?

Skim milk + orange juice + pineapple juice + olive oil + salt + gelatin? What would replace milk?

What would make fruits a bad idea? The carb recommendation for me was 10% fruits (calories), 65% fiber, and 25% grain.

I have favorable gluten/celiac genes.

Why? What would you recommend and based on what? Switch from saturated fats to olive oil, but keep everything else Peaty? Drink milk anyway, though likelihood of intolerance is higher? Fruits anyway? What foods?

Skim milk + orange juice + pineapple juice + olive oil + salt + gelatin? What would replace milk?

What would make fruits a bad idea? The carb recommendation for me was 10% fruits (calories), 65% fiber, and 25% grain.

I have favorable gluten/celiac genes.

Foodchoices,macrocut,Plant-based Proteins are toxic,High PUFA,i dont know to be honest,too much wrong.

somuch4food

What are the problems with nuts, seeds, and beans?

They are higher in PUFA and generally not recommended by Ray Peat since they are harder to digest, but many members of this forum including myself still have them as part of the diet without downsides.

I was going high fruit, high animal products, low fibers over the summer, but I'm going back to a more plant based diet since I haven't been able to replicate how I felt at the end of last year. Peaceful sleep, high focus and low inflammation.

I now believe that diet is highly individual and while PUFA still seem bad as a whole, there might be some people that are better able to deal with their effects. I also think that some people do badly with higher animal intake and that it might be my case.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals