nootropics anyone?

mdimarco

400mg huperzine a helps me with clarity and depth of thinking for a couple hours

Peata

I'm also interested in this topic.

Anyone else have experiences with a particular supplement, good or bad?

Or have any come to mind that would not be Peat-approved?

I've been reading about Huperzine and will probably pick some up today.

Peata

Ended up getting Vinpocetine because that's what the health food store had. I'll report back effects, if any.

Stilgar

I have very good effects from Piracetam, roughly a 2-4g dose. It lasts a good 6 hours. I use it mostly in the winter when I have cold hands, and it warms them up very well. As bonus side effects, I feel more social, have reduced anxiety, feel more stimulated without dips, and can say what I am thinking more clearly. Generally, I feel more aware when I take it, and more hungry. As a negative, it sometimes gives me headaches, but only if I take too much. 2g is good, and 4g I would need to spread it over the day.

I think Peat said once it could help absorption of thyroid hormone into cells, so could work synergistically. Search piracetam into the forum and I think it comes up.

jaa

Back in my vegetarian no egg days, I would take piracetam with choline and notice a calming effect and increased mental clarity and focus.

A few years later I tried Joe Rogans alpha brain and noticed no effects.

I'm not sure if piracetam works and the Alpha Brain doesn't, or if the piracetam + choline was providing me with nutrients I was sorely in need of back then.

Peata

Stilgar & Ja, thank you for the reports. I've been doing some reading, and Piracetam comes up everywhere.

As far as the Vinpocetine, I have taken it for 2 days with no difference. I think I wasted my money. I might sound impatient, but I had different expectations. I read people saying they had a noticeable effect within an hour of taking it, but both days of taking it, nothing. I wanted a supplement I could take "as needed" and it would work at least within a couple hours, not something that one has to take over days and days to help.

I'm just looking for something to help me, even just a little, with focusing on certain tedious tasks that need my sole attention for a chunk of time. But instead, I'll find my mind wandering, bored, or rotating around to other things (internet sites) instead of what I should be focusing on.

There have been times in the past though where I had laser focus and this was so great - I was able to dig in and get things done and feel accomplishment.

mandance

I have focus issues as well. Have you ever tried smoking pot? I dont recommend smoking it, but you can vaporize it. Anyways, when I smoke...I am highly productive, motivated and focused on any task.

jaguar43

Stilgar said:
I have very good effects from Piracetam, roughly a 2-4g dose. It lasts a good 6 hours. I use it mostly in the winter when I have cold hands, and it warms them up very well. As bonus side effects, I feel more social, have reduced anxiety, feel more stimulated without dips, and can say what I am thinking more clearly. Generally, I feel more aware when I take it, and more hungry. As a negative, it sometimes gives me headaches, but only if I take too much. 2g is good, and 4g I would need to spread it over the day.

I think Peat said once it could help absorption of thyroid hormone into cells, so could work synergistically. Search piracetam into the forum and I think it comes up.

Which brand of Piracetam did you use?

Peata

Mandance, I just take stuff legal in my state. There's a lot to try. I am reading good things about l-theanine + caffeine as a pretty safe combo and effective for what I need. I'm putting an order together, and I'll post if it works.

Peata

L-theanine alone or with caffeine didn't help my focus problem. It was all pretty unspectacular. I did a fairly high dose of l-theanine (800 mg.) spread out over the course of the day, just to test out what it would do.

It was definitely calming. At first it gave me too much sedation. Not helpful for focus, as you can guess. One interesting thing I noticed over the day was that if I had too much sedation from theanine, I drank more caffeine to counteract it... and if I felt I'd had too much caffeine, I took more theanine and it took away that anxiety edge from the caffeine.

I had unpleasant dreams all night long - the kind where you are working and trying to figure things out and you end up feeling more tired. The next morning I had the feeling I was "back to my old self" as it had worked it's way out of my system.

So, I decided not to give up on it, but just to take a lower dose. Mainly because I feel like its slight calming effect is good. Even if it wasn't helping me with focus and motivation, it did seem to help me be a little more level as far as anxiety. I just didn't need to take so much.

So yesterday and today I've taken 300 to 600 mg. Also had some decaf green tea with sugar, just for the pleasant taste and the act of having tea is nice sometimes. Have slept great too without weird dreams.

Peata

Also at the lower dose, I was as alert as normal - not feeling any sluggishness. And I had caffeine throughout the day as I normally do.

pyttsan

CBD, seriously. I'm so glad I've finally gotten my hands on this stuff - helps with insomnia, hypertension, anxiety, depression and a lot else.

Peata

Haven't heard of it, pyttsan. Glad you found something that helps you.

Gabriel

Now Foods Niacinamide 500mg.

Getting a pure powder product is probably the best solution, if youre good in dosing with spoons or scales.