nootropics anyone?

Peata

I've still been taking l-theanine, 200 mg at a time, anywhere from 400 mg to 1 g. per day, just depends on what I'm doing. I haven't had the dulling, sedative effect since that first day. Rather, I think it's just helping my overall level of calmness. Also seems to help me tolerate caffeine without a jittery feeling. If I take it before bed, I still get "busy" dreams. They aren't necessarily unpleasant.

I've read conflicting things on l-theanine's affect on seratonin. Both that it raises and lowers it. Here's something from pubmed:

Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 1998 Apr;62(4):816-7.
Theanine-induced reduction of brain serotonin concentration in rats.
Yokogoshi H, Mochizuki M, Saitoh K.
Source

Laboratory of Nutritional Biochemistry, School of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University of Shizuoka, Japan. [email protected]
Abstract

Following the administration of theanine, the brain tryptophan content significantly increased or tended to increase, but the contents of serotonin and 5-hydroxyindole acetic acid (5HIAA) decreased. The use of inhibitors of serotonin metabolism enable us to speculate that theanine reduced serotonin synthesis and also increased serotonin degradation in the brain.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Isn't tryptophan a precursor of seratonin? Wonder what's going on there that tryptophan rises but seratonin does not.