Non-toxic indoor wall paint?

imei3489

i want to paint the walls in my house, but i know nothing about what makes a paint toxic, so i was hoping somebody could educate me.
the house is already painted, will a new less harmful paint effectively seal in the fumes from the old paint? can paint still release bad fumes after 20 years?
-what are the ingredients i need to look out for?
-what are the most harmless types of paint?

also, if anybody has any suggestions of colors, please feel free to chime in!
i need a color for my bedroom,which is a small room where i only sleep, nothing else. something that can put the mind to rest and lessen racing thoughts
a color for my living room and kitchen,which is where we cook and eat, nothing else
a color for a room where me and the wife spend our time cuddling and watching movies, unwinding, the room needs to be as cozy as possible

when im already in the process i might as well ask:
what is the best oil for oiling the kitchen counter, cutting boards etc? my kitchen counter was done in linseed oil, which seems pretty safe to me.

Lilac

From past research, I have some ideas. You should probably check them for accuracy.

1. Ventilate the room thoroughly while you paint and for at least a week afterward.
2. Maybe low-VOC paints are a better option. (They're sold as that, anyway. As for the truth, probe further.)

I remember reading that new parents will often paint the nursery, and that this is a bad thing for an infant. Too many harmful fumes.

AlphaSandwich

i want to paint the walls in my house, but i know nothing about what makes a paint toxic, so i was hoping somebody could educate me.
the house is already painted, will a new less harmful paint effectively seal in the fumes from the old paint? can paint still release bad fumes after 20 years?
-what are the ingredients i need to look out for?
-what are the most harmless types of paint?

also, if anybody has any suggestions of colors, please feel free to chime in!
i need a color for my bedroom,which is a small room where i only sleep, nothing else. something that can put the mind to rest and lessen racing thoughts
a color for my living room and kitchen,which is where we cook and eat, nothing else
a color for a room where me and the wife spend our time cuddling and watching movies, unwinding, the room needs to be as cozy as possible

when im already in the process i might as well ask:
what is the best oil for oiling the kitchen counter, cutting boards etc? my kitchen counter was done in linseed oil, which seems pretty safe to me.
My apartment has been painted with non-toxic paint. I used Yolo colorhouse paint which is non-toxic and zero-VOC but I would also highly recommend AFM safecoat paint

Veritas IV

The previous replies will get you off to the right start imho. Low or no VOC's etc etc, possibly researching the brands online to see if the claims are actually true.

As for paint, new furniture and carpets, i use a window fan for minimum 24 hours, set to exhaust out the window, low setting. One piece of furniture was so bad i left it outside for 2 days, then used a window fan for a few more days after that. It made a big difference. I plug the sides of the fan to reduce air leaks during cold weather.

And agreed with Perry, less smell = less concern.

OP
I

imei3489

i ended up finding a paint that soudns very good.
ingredients:
water, chalk, kridt, crushed marble, linseed oils, titanium dioxide, cellulose glue (from trees)

is titanium dioxide a problem when its in a paint?

dlind70

Bedroom-- do a ceiling white throughout the whole room. just do white if you're looking for minimalism I know it's quite odd but it's very traditional. Use high quality ceiling White and put it throughout the whole room ceiling and walls. White.

The bedroom, moreover, it's very peaceful color and traditional it prevents racing thoughts because your room already has enough going on. You want to be in a minimalist State there in your bedroom.

Kitchen: peach
--very inviting warm color or it's called 'home sweet home' it's from Benjamin Moore the bedroom. Use eggshell finish and with eggshell you should be cutting and rolling all within the same hour with other finishes it's okay if you split it up like did one cut in a few hours later but with eggshell finish it should be done right away for the best look of the wall. use a color called home sweet home in the kitchen. Base coat of a pink or a light red that will set the color before your final color it could even be pink because it doesn't really matter what the base coat is.

For the living room you can do a lavender if it's all about cuddling or you could do a very traditional color called Navajo white, Navajo white is very basic and you want less clutter and a non offensive color in the living room where you're going to spend a good deal of time there. Both Sherwin-Williams and Benjamin Moore paints I use is called regal select and this is low VOC, just look for it on label. The smell dissipates in one day or so it's proof right there that it's working it really is gone after about 1 or 3 days the smell I don't worry about it.

Good luck

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals