Non-Milk Calcium Sources?

I'm not a big fan of milk. It gives me excess mucus. However I do love yogurt and cheese. I also eat a lot of eggs every week, and I hear that egg shells are a good source of calcium.

Could yogurt, cheese, and eggshells be used as a good source of calcium over milk? Or any other good sources? Thanks

sweetpeat

I've heard nettle tea is a good source of calcium, having as much calcium (or more) per cup as milk. I've never had it though, so I can't vouch for its taste.

Energizer

I'm not a big fan of milk. It gives me excess mucus. However I do love yogurt and cheese. I also eat a lot of eggs every week, and I hear that egg shells are a good source of calcium.

Could yogurt, cheese, and eggshells be used as a good source of calcium over milk? Or any other good sources? Thanks

Sure, why not? As long as you're getting your nutritional needs met, it certainly seems doable. You can also make a broth of leafy greens like kale and chard for example, has comparable calcium and magnesium if you boil a lot of greens at once. I would recommend strained over acidic yogurt if you plan to have a lot of it:

"A spoonful or two of acidic yogurt isn't harmful, but a cupful of the
acidic type can be enough to deplete the liver's energy stores,

because lactic acid is converted to glucose in the liver, requiring
energy. The "strained" type that isn't acidic is similar to cottage
cheese and is safe." – Ray Peat (Email advice)

Last edited:

mmb82

Not sure if you are interested in only food sources or willing to use supplements as well, but if supplements are an option, here is an article/short video from Chris Masterjohn.

OP
wealthofwisdom
Sure, why not? As long as you're getting your nutritional needs met, it certainly seems doable. You can also make a broth of leafy greens like kale and chard for example, has comparable calcium and magnesium if you boil a lot of greens at once. I would recommend strained over acidic yogurt if you plan to have a lot of it:

"A spoonful or two of acidic yogurt isn't harmful, but a cupful of the
acidic type can be enough to deplete the liver's energy stores,

because lactic acid is converted to glucose in the liver, requiring
energy. The "strained" type that isn't acidic is similar to cottage
cheese and is safe." – Ray Peat (Email advice)

I like this idea. Well not the mixing with yogurt, but making green broth. I would eat the yogurt separate :)

OP
wealthofwisdom
Not sure if you are interested in only food sources or willing to use supplements as well, but if supplements are an option, here is an article/short video from Chris Masterjohn.

I do supplement with calcium right now, but I"m trying to move to all diet supplementation. Thanks for the video though.

baccheion

Collards, turnip greens, maybe egg shells.

Collards (frozen and zapped in the microwave) are great, as bioavailability of calcium is 2x the norm. Calcium:phosphorus is conveniently high.

Minimal

Why is there so much calcium in milk byt not so much in fresh cheese like cottage or quark?

In Cronometer the phosphorus to calcium ratio tanks between milk and cottage cheese. Where did the calcium go? Gone with the whey?? If so, why isn't whey powder a good calcium source?

mrchibbs

Sure, you don't need milk. Good aged cheese and greek-style yogurt is perfect.

If you learn to clean, sterilize and pulverize your egg shells into a dust (with high-powered blender), you can tend add half a teaspoon of that fine eggshell powder to your yogurt, add some marmalade and honey and you've got a powerful anti-inflammatory snack.

A few sticks of cheese throughout the day, and maybe make a cream of spinach soup (with a huge amount of spinach), that will give you another source.