Noise Sensitivity Through The Roof Making Me CRAZY! HELP!

satsumass

Forum Supporter
Hi--hoping someone can help!

I live in San Francisco, near the main street of a small neighborhood (not super dense, but it's the main commercial drag of Noe Valley). Noise has been a problem for me in the past, in a previous apartment and at previous time periods. It tends to get worse and better, and has gotten extremely bad recently. I have construction around me, and kids screaming next door at the preschool (and work from home), and the bus below my window. But my sensitivity to these noises has gone through the roof.

I am currently on various of IdeaLabs and Peatish supplements, and other medications for bipolar/depression and other issues. I hesitate to list them all as, sure, any one MAY be having an effect. I'm more interested in hearing from folks who have had these issues and whether any particular hormone worsens or improves this.

@haidut would really appreciate your thoughts as i've purchased and tried a number of your products.

Curious if there is any worsening of noise sensitivity from the following:

5a-DHP (in the thread I seem to remember allopreg. in fact improves tolerance?)
Pregnenolone
Testosterone
Prolactin
Estrogen (sign of super low estrogen maybe?)
A
K2 (Mk4 kuinone especially)
Andosterone
DHT
E

Anything anyone has tried or stopped or hormones manipulated that has improved noise tolerance? I can't even meditate in my own apartment, even with earplugs. And prior experience has shown long term use even for a few hours a day of complete sound blocking earmuffs actually tends to WORSEN the hyperacusis, so I'm super hesitant to do that.

OP
S

satsumass

Forum Supporter
Maybe this is relevant???

A stress steroid triggers anxiety via increased expression of α4βδ GABAA receptors in methamphetamine dependence
A stress steroid triggers anxiety via increased expression of α4βδ GABAA receptors in methamphetamine dependence

Methamphetamine (METH) is an addictive stimulant drug. In addition to drug craving and lethargy, METH withdrawal is associated with stress-triggered anxiety. However, the cellular basis for this stress-triggered anxiety is not understood. The present results suggest that during METH withdrawal (24 h) following chronic exposure (3 mg/kg, i.p. for 3-5 weeks) of adult, male mice, the effect of one neurosteroid released by stress, 3α,5α-THP (3α-OH-5α-pregnan-20-one), and its 3α,5β isomer reverse to trigger anxiety assessed by the acoustic startle response (ASR), in contrast to their usual anti-anxiety effects. This novel effect of 3α,5β-THP was due to increased (3-fold) hippocampal expression of α4βδ GABAA receptors (GABARs) during METH withdrawal (24 h – 4 wk) because anxiogenic effects of 3α,5β-THP were not seen in α4−/− mice. 3α,5β-THP reduces current at these receptors when it is hyperpolarizing, as observed during METH withdrawal. As a result, 3α,5β-THP (30 nM) increased neuronal excitability, assessed with current clamp and cell-attached recordings in CA1 hippocampus, one CNS site which regulates anxiety. α4βδ GABARs were first increased 1 h after METH exposure and recovered 6 wk after METH withdrawal. Similar increases in α4βδ GABARs and anxiogenic effects of 3α,5β-THP were noted in rats during METH withdrawal (24 h). In contrast, the ASR was increased by chronic METH treatment in the absence of 3α,5β-THP administration due to its stimulant effect. Although α4βδ GABARs were increased by chronic METH treatment, the GABAergic current recorded from hippocampal neurons at this time was a depolarizing, shunting inhibition, which was potentiated by 3α,5β-THP. This steroid reduced neuronal excitability and anxiety during chronic METH treatment, consistent with its typical effect. Flumazenil (10 mg/kg, i.p., 3x) reduced α4βδ expression and prevented the anxiogenic effect of 3α,5β-THP after METH withdrawal. Our findings suggest a novel mechanism underlying stress-triggered anxiety after METH withdrawal mediated by α4βδ GABARs.

haidut

Forum Supporter

I live in San Francisco, near the main street of a small neighborhood (not super dense, but it's the main commercial drag of Noe Valley). Noise has been a problem for me in the past, in a previous apartment and at previous time periods. It tends to get worse and better, and has gotten extremely bad recently. I have construction around me, and kids screaming next door at the preschool (and work from home), and the bus below my window. But my sensitivity to these noises has gone through the roof.

I am currently on various of IdeaLabs and Peatish supplements, and other medications for bipolar/depression and other issues. I hesitate to list them all as, sure, any one MAY be having an effect. I'm more interested in hearing from folks who have had these issues and whether any particular hormone worsens or improves this.

@haidut would really appreciate your thoughts as i've purchased and tried a number of your products.

Curious if there is any worsening of noise sensitivity from the following:

5a-DHP (in the thread I seem to remember allopreg. in fact improves tolerance?)
Pregnenolone
Testosterone
Prolactin
Estrogen (sign of super low estrogen maybe?)
A
K2 (Mk4 kuinone especially)
Andosterone
DHT
E

Anything anyone has tried or stopped or hormones manipulated that has improved noise tolerance? I can't even meditate in my own apartment, even with earplugs. And prior experience has shown long term use even for a few hours a day of complete sound blocking earmuffs actually tends to WORSEN the hyperacusis, so I'm super hesitant to do that.

Are you taking all of these together??! That's a lot of stuff and hard to say which one may be having a noise sensitivity effect, if any.
Noise sensitivity is usually due to potassium deficiency or high stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline. Have you tried some orange juice with baking soda before bed?

OP
S

satsumass

Forum Supporter
NO.

I am taking:

Preg oral 50mg/day
Kuinone
Test Cyp
5a-DHP 3-5 days a week 5-10 drops [but issue was going on before this]
Occasional andosterone

I am on a low carb medically supervised diet which is going very well, have lost 30lbs in last 2 months which was impossible to lose via other methods, so no OJ for me for now. I did remember the potassium (as of course electrolytes can go haywire on low carb low calorie) and took some Lite Salt which has potassium plus sodium in it after I wrote the post...somewhat helped. It was just really severe this morning. It is still not great, but might be potassium.

Richiebogie

Ray Peat is the opposite of low-carb. He recommends OJ and papaya because the sucrose lowers stress. (Low stress will help you tolerate noise).

I recommend a fruit based diet (no tomato or peppers) with some eggs, shrimp, parmasan cheese and aged cheddar cheese. Perhaps your medical staff can convert you to that?

Are you taking meth by prescription or as part of the San Francisco party lifestyle? (You might be happier without it.)

OP
S

satsumass

Forum Supporter
Jesus. I'm not taking meth. It was an interesting study with respect to 5-a-DHP. I didn't ask for diet advice. I know the Ray Peat nutrition thesis. I'm doing extremely well with respect to weight loss and tried moderate carb and even ray peat eating in the past to no avail.

Atalanta

Are you getting enough magnesium?

A few years ago, I read somewhere that a magnesium deficiency can cause sensitivity to noise. I was experiencing that problem at the time and it went away after a couple of weeks of taking a magnesium supplement(Mag citrate).

tankasnowgod

I had this exact issue. I used to live in Hollywood, on Orange between Sunset and Hollywood Blvd. Noise at practically all hours. Jimmy Kimmel Live would do 3 or so outdoor live performances a week (extremely loud). The football field across the street was in use till 10pm with some sport seemingly every day. Lots of cars driving down Orange, and lots of car alarms. Helicopters hovering over the area a few times a week. Truck and van backup beeping at early AM hours. Drunken Partiers walking down the street being loud at all hours. And so on and so on.

Ultimately, I had to move. This is the only true fix. I know it's not easy, but life is DRAMATICALLY better now. Here's a list of some things I did that could be short term hacks-

1. Running the Air Conditioning simply for white noise. This would mask many of the noises quite well, and is a better solution than earplugs or earmuffs.
2. Also using music or the Television to mask noise
3. Went for walks several times a day, and always during the stupid Kimmel performances. Total lifesaver. (I still hate Jimmy Kimmel with a passion, by the way).
4. Used Blackout Panels on my bedroom window. The function was two fold. Yes, it (almost) eliminated outdoor light, which was also bad, but I made them out of 3/4" drop ceiling panels wrapped in balckout shade curtains, so they also cut the noise. Ultimately, mass cuts sound, but things like eggshell foam or moving blankets also seem to help.
5. Scheduling Travel during especially egregious events, like the LA Marathon, or stupid Hollywood Christmas Parade. Both a disaster for Hollywood residents.

I didn't take any specific supplements for the noise (didn't even think about it at the time), but I remember Danny Roddy and Haidut talking about using cyproheptadine when dealing with an inescapable stressful situation.

OP
S

satsumass

Forum Supporter
I had this exact issue. I used to live in Hollywood, on Orange between Sunset and Hollywood Blvd. Noise at practically all hours. Jimmy Kimmel Live would do 3 or so outdoor live performances a week (extremely loud). The football field across the street was in use till 10pm with some sport seemingly every day. Lots of cars driving down Orange, and lots of car alarms. Helicopters hovering over the area a few times a week. Truck and van backup beeping at early AM hours. Drunken Partiers walking down the street being loud at all hours. And so on and so on.

Ultimately, I had to move. This is the only true fix. I know it's not easy, but life is DRAMATICALLY better now. Here's a list of some things I did that could be short term hacks-

1. Running the Air Conditioning simply for white noise. This would mask many of the noises quite well, and is a better solution than earplugs or earmuffs.
3. Went for walks several times a day, and always during the stupid Kimmel performances. Total lifesaver. (I still hate Jimmy Kimmel with a passion, by the way).
4. Used Blackout Panels on my bedroom window. The function was two fold. Yes, it (almost) eliminated outdoor light, which was also bad, but I made them out of 3/4" drop ceiling panels wrapped in balckout shade curtains, so they also cut the noise. Ultimately, mass cuts sound, but things like eggshell foam or moving blankets also seem to help.
5. Scheduling Travel during especially egregious events, like the LA Marathon, or stupid Hollywood Christmas Parade. Both a disaster for Hollywood residents.

I didn't take any specific supplements for the noise (didn't even think about it at the time), but I remember Danny Roddy and Haidut talking about using cyproheptadine when dealing with an inescapable stressful situation.

Thanks for your note. I have found music to help but often I can't concentrate on other things (reading or work). I find when the noise barrage and sensitivity gets bad, it leads to more of a learned helplessness reaction where I Just sort of cocoon -- trying to esacape it by going out to the outside world "somewhere" doens't happen, but taking supplements or meds or somethign (sometimes compulsively and often ineffectively) is a more likely response.

To previous poster---yes I do take plenty of magnesium, but have also been using topical magnesium chloride spray more frequently. It does help. As does niacin/nicotinamide I believe, and I'm trying more potassium.

Thanks.

Gl;itch.e

NO.

I am taking:

Preg oral 50mg/day
Kuinone
Test Cyp
5a-DHP 3-5 days a week 5-10 drops [but issue was going on before this]
Occasional andosterone

I am on a low carb medically supervised diet which is going very well, have lost 30lbs in last 2 months which was impossible to lose via other methods, so no OJ for me for now. I did remember the potassium (as of course electrolytes can go haywire on low carb low calorie) and took some Lite Salt which has potassium plus sodium in it after I wrote the post...somewhat helped. It was just really severe this morning. It is still not great, but might be potassium.
Sounds like Haidut has the right angle with the adrenaline/cortisol thing. Although I don't know how the adrenaline/cortisol raising effect of a low carb diet would pan out when introducing "supplements" that should lower these hormones.

Regina

p.s. and btw, one can make very effective cheap sound panels by making a sandwich of 2 pieces of 1/4 drywall with Green Glue in between.

Gl;itch.e

p.s. and btw, one can make very effective cheap sound panels by making a sandwich of 2 pieces of 1/4 drywall with Green Glue in between.
lol my mind cut this sentence off half way for some reason and filled in the blanks with a mental image of someone making sandwiches and then using them like earmuffs!

WestCoaster

I've had these before and it's my understanding it's Testosterone based. The lower the T, the less tolerance one has to annoyances. Testosterone has a calming effect and has the ability to help one endure things like noise (I have noisy neighbors myself).

In my experience cortisol has nothing to do with it, because at the very time when noise tolerance was the lowest was also when my T was the lowest, and Cortisol was also in the normal range. You can easily test this yourself; the quickest way to give yourself low T levels is to have poor sleep, so simply, make a point to get only 2-4 hours sleep one night and watch the next day how you literally will have no tolerance to noise whatsoever.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals