No Starch. Is It Doable With Highly Active Lifestyle?

Uselis

The only starch I eat are white potatoes. It is very cheap and full of vitamins/minerals.

However several times I didn't eat potatoes accidentally I felt much cleaner energy, sharper mood and coincidentaly or not - got my smell back.

When I say "highly active" I mostly mean physically demanding job 4 days a week and 7-8 miles walking on rest days. No weight lifting outside job.

Cronometer shows me hiting almost all nutrients except obviously Vit E and falling short on B3. Perhaps can of Redbull every other day would cover B3? I don't have access to quality meat except deer/elk which is a hassle to prepare properly.

Also calories likely low so if you have some suggestions how to reach 3.5-4k without starch let me know.

All in all obviously I must just go ahead and try it but would be great to get some opinions in case I am missing something or if it's plain stupid idea.

Thanks!
Screenshot_2020-06-26-19-48-46.png
Screenshot_2020-06-26-19-49-38.png

YourUniverse

Its doable, and if your only concern is b3:

Niacin is fairly abundant in coffee, the darker the better (https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-1-4899-2626-5_4#:~:text=The%20niacin%20content%20of%20weakly,than%20the%20corresponding%20raw%20coffee.).

Most people get jittery or anxious from coffee. I feel like this is from chlorogenic acid, which stimulates adrenaline. Darker coffees have less chlorogenic acid (Variations in caffeine and chlorogenic acid contents of coffees: what are we drinking? - Food & Function (RSC Publishing) DOI:10.1039/C4FO00290C).

What little acid makes it to the cup can be neutralized with milk.

OP
U

Uselis

Its doable, and if your only concern is b3:

Niacin is fairly abundant in coffee, the darker the better (https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-1-4899-2626-5_4#:~:text=The%20niacin%20content%20of%20weakly,than%20the%20corresponding%20raw%20coffee
Most people get jittery or anxious from coffee. I feel like this is from chlorogenic acid, which stimulates adrenaline. Darker coffees have less chlorogenic acid (Variations in caffeine and chlorogenic acid contents of coffees: what are we drinking? - Food & Function (RSC Publishing) DOI:10.1039/C4FO00290C).

What little acid makes it to the cup can be neutralized with milk.

Allright, thanks! So probably good idea to switch from instant to ground dark roast just to stay within RDA's on B3?

Hans

Forum Supporter
The only starch I eat are white potatoes. It is very cheap and full of vitamins/minerals.

However several times I didn't eat potatoes accidentally I felt much cleaner energy, sharper mood and coincidentaly or not - got my smell back.

When I say "highly active" I mostly mean physically demanding job 4 days a week and 7-8 miles walking on rest days. No weight lifting outside job.

Cronometer shows me hiting almost all nutrients except obviously Vit E and falling short on B3. Perhaps can of Redbull every other day would cover B3? I don't have access to quality meat except deer/elk which is a hassle to prepare properly.

Also calories likely low so if you have some suggestions how to reach 3.5-4k without starch let me know.

All in all obviously I must just go ahead and try it but would be great to get some opinions in case I am missing something or if it's plain stupid idea.

Thanks!
View attachment 18313 View attachment 18312
Tryptophan can convert to B3. IIRC 2g of tryptophan can synthesize 30mg B3. Else you can just supplement like 100mg daily.
Easy calories are fruit juice and dates blended with butter and desiccated coconut (after blending together I roll then into balls for easy snacking). Tastes amazing and you can eat a ton of it.

OP
U

Uselis

Tryptophan can convert to B3. IIRC 2g of tryptophan can synthesize 30mg B3. Else you can just supplement like 100mg daily.
Easy calories are fruit juice and dates blended with butter and desiccated coconut (after blending together I roll then into balls for easy snacking). Tastes amazing and you can eat a ton of it.

Dates are awesome! The only semi quality juice I can get there is apple juice but I think consuming like a quart daily has pectin concerns?

Otherwise do you think it's good idea to try no starch?

I've been reading lots of old threads and found one guy who is/was coach. He had a playing team of some sport and reported improved sleep of his players post game switching to sugars from starch.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Dates are awesome! The only semi quality juice I can get there is apple juice but I think consuming like a quart daily has pectin concerns?

Otherwise do you think it's good idea to try no starch?

I've been reading lots of old threads and found one guy who is/was coach. He had a playing team of some sport and reported improved sleep of his players post game switching to sugars from starch.
Much of the pectin should be removed in the juice and if you don't react negatively to it then it should be fine.

Yeah lots of people benefit from cutting out starches, but then again, others benefit from having starches. It would be good to experiment.

redsun

Thanks!
View attachment 18313 View attachment 18312

Salmon is great source of vitamin E and overall is good for many nutrients. As others have said, Niacin is not problematic I would say since you have 1g of tryptophan in the diet and overall micronutrients intake are good. You are likely able to make a decent amount of niacin endogenously. I see on cronometer you already have a decent caffeine intake, I wouldnt go higher on it personally.

I would try to provide meat in some form in the diet even if it's not high quality. Meat gives me the most sustained energy out of all proteins, preferably red meats or seafood as white meats lack minerals. I stick to leaner cuts.

How are energy levels? My only glaring personal concern is calcium intake is utterly massive and it could be inhibiting absorption of trace minerals like iron, zinc, copper, etc... If you feel fine it is what it is you may be okay.

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
My only glaring personal concern is calcium intake is utterly massive and it could be inhibiting absorption of trace minerals like iron, zinc, copper, etc... If you feel fine it is what it is you may be okay.
I've never read that milk intake can cause a mineral deficiency. On the contrary it's a great food to replenish vitamins and minerals, except iron.
Based on a few studies I've seen, calcium intake doesn't affect mineral status.
Some say it inhibits absorption slightly, other say that it doesn't.
But regardless, adding in oysters or red meat would probably be a good idea to boost zinc and copper intake some more.

redsun

I've never read that milk intake can cause a mineral deficiency. On the contrary it's a great food to replenish vitamins and minerals, except iron.
Based on a few studies I've seen, calcium intake doesn't affect mineral status.
Some say it inhibits absorption slightly, other say that it doesn't.
But regardless, adding in oysters or red meat would probably be a good idea to boost zinc and copper intake some more.

Yes there are contradicting studies on it. My gripe was his intake was massive so if it does inhibit it would be more of an issue at such a high intake (nearing 5g for OP). If it was 1-2g spread throughout the day as opposed to near 5g, I wouldnt even have mentioned it.

OP
U

Uselis

Yes there are contradicting studies on it. My gripe was his intake was massive so if it does inhibit it would be more of an issue at such a high intake (nearing 5g for OP). If it was 1-2g spread throughout the day as opposed to near 5g, I wouldnt even have mentioned it.

It is definitely high as far as "normal" goes. However we're in Peatland here ha ha. I drank at least 2 quarts past 10 years without issues and Ray himself averaged like what, a gallon of cheap store milk past decade?

Amyways just to be safe I'll eat 100g of deer/elk meat a day. I think it's better than store bought beef?

Thanks

OP
U

Uselis

Salmon is great source of vitamin E and overall is good for many nutrients. As others have said, Niacin is not problematic I would say since you have 1g of tryptophan in the diet and overall micronutrients intake are good. You are likely able to make a decent amount of niacin endogenously. I see on cronometer you already have a decent caffeine intake, I wouldnt go higher on it personally.

I would try to provide meat in some form in the diet even if it's not high quality. Meat gives me the most sustained energy out of all proteins, preferably red meats or seafood as white meats lack minerals. I stick to leaner cuts.

How are energy levels? My only glaring personal concern is calcium intake is utterly massive and it could be inhibiting absorption of trace minerals like iron, zinc, copper, etc... If you feel fine it is what it is you may be okay.
My energy levels improved a lot since I found local goat milk that I pasteurize myself. There was issues with raw milk initially but if I boil it milk gives me instant energetical rush.

If I mix it with potatoes though...Nothing really disastrous but once my health improved even more I started to be more aware of how potatoes makes me feel. It simply does not provide clean energy. Instead it acts as a minor "downer". And if I am not activive that day minor can become bothering.

As far as seafood. Are mussels considered here as of high quality? Poor man's oysters we call it here. Quite cheap and only 50g of it covers all manganese.

Thanks

redsun

My energy levels improved a lot since I found local goat milk that I pasteurize myself. There was issues with raw milk initially but if I boil it milk gives me instant energetical rush.

If I mix it with potatoes though...Nothing really disastrous but once my health improved even more I started to be more aware of how potatoes makes me feel. It simply does not provide clean energy. Instead it acts as a minor "downer". And if I am not activive that day minor can become bothering.

As far as seafood. Are mussels considered here as of high quality? Poor man's oysters we call it here. Quite cheap and only 50g of it covers all manganese.

Thanks

Some mussels are good. Mineral content is not the same as oysters of course but as a food they can be useful.

It is definitely high as far as "normal" goes. However we're in Peatland here ha ha. I drank at least 2 quarts past 10 years without issues and Ray himself averaged like what, a gallon of cheap store milk past decade?

Amyways just to be safe I'll eat 100g of deer/elk meat a day. I think it's better than store bought beef?

Thanks

Well most people here get around 2g calcium which is the peat recommendation. You are double. Of course if you ask peat he likely would not complain and if it works for you then there's no reason to change anything up. Game meat works completely fine.

Hans

Forum Supporter

Thanks
I should add that on "the milk cure" diet, active men drink even up to 10 liters per day without ill effects.
Wild game is imo almost always better quality than farm-raised animals.

OP
U

Uselis

I should add that on "the milk cure" diet, active men drink even up to 10 liters per day without ill effects.
Wild game is imo almost always better quality than farm-raised animals.

My stepfather once mention his dad whos lived all his life in village drank upwards 8 liters a day straight from a bucket. Back then I thought thats nuts and likely not true. A man never been sick and didn't even had medical card up to 75ish years old when he messed up his eyes from drinking cheap local beer lol.

Hans

Forum Supporter
My stepfather once mention his dad whos lived all his life in village drank upwards 8 liters a day straight from a bucket. Back then I thought thats nuts and likely not true. A man never been sick and didn't even had medical card up to 75ish years old when he messed up his eyes from drinking cheap local beer lol.
Yeah I think milk is really safe and can be a great food even in very large quantities.

thomas00

8 liters....damn. Gotta get me a bucket.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals