No shucking about!!

Inaut

I don’t give a shuck

No more puns I promise.

I steam oysters until their shell opens slightly. It’s soooooooo easy and actually very delicious(coming from somebody who doesn’t like the taste of oysters typically). You don’t have to worry about losing a finger or breaking plates if you don’t know how to shuck safely. It also lowers probability of eating a bad/contaminated oyster too. Does anybody else steam their oysters???

I'm.No.One

I don't but I will now!

I do also have the benefit of buying pre shucked raw ones when our local store has them.

The need to break open shells really keeps me from eating them quickly enough.

boris

Nice idea. You can also put them directly on the bbq.

Fresh oysters need to be shucked because they are still alive and contracting a muscle that keeps the shell closed.
When I want just the meat for a soup, I freeze them first. They die from the cold and then you can open the shell without force.

Old Irenaeus

Nice idea. You can also put them directly on the bbq.

Fresh oysters need to be shucked because they are still alive and contracting a muscle that keeps the shell closed.
When I want just the meat for a soup, I freeze them first. They die from the cold and then you can open the shell without force.
So, you would say you have to shuck them before throwing them on the grill, or no?

frannybananny

So, you would say you have to shuck them before throwing them on the grill, or no?
I don’t give a shuck

No more puns I promise.

I steam oysters until their shell opens slightly. It’s soooooooo easy and actually very delicious(coming from somebody who doesn’t like the taste of oysters typically). You don’t have to worry about losing a finger or breaking plates if you don’t know how to shuck safely. It also lowers probability of eating a bad/contaminated oyster too. Does anybody else steam their oysters???
That is the same way that we deal with fresh mussels off the rocks here in So Calif..... just steam them until they open slightly, only takes a few min. Ones that don't open are not good and get tossed. Does anyone happen to know if mussels have a similar nutrition content as oyesters? Way cheaper since you can just go to the beach here in months with "R" in them and collect your own by prying them off of the rocks at low tide. . You do have to have a fishing license tho and they ain't cheap!

akgrrrl

How do you guys get past the smell to make these palatable? I had some fried that helped with the slime rubbery texture, but the smell...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom