No Relationship Between Dietary Linoleic Acid Intake And Tissue Arachidonic Acid Content

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by lampofred, Apr 10, 2017.

1. lampofred

lampofred Member

Increasing dietary linoleic acid does not increase tissue arachidonic acid content in adults consuming Western-type diets: a systematic review

Numerous studies showed that there is no relationship between dietary linoelic acid intake (which the primary PUFA we consume) and tissue arachidonic acid content (the highly unsaturated PUFA from which the harmful prostaglandins are derived from). Several studies actually found an inverse correlation between dietary linoleic acid intake and tissue arachidonic acid content....

Furthermore, one study found that in just 7 days of consuming .50 grams of AA from eggs/white meat (which have about .08 grams of AA each, which means around 6 eggs daily), tissue AA content increased by 52%.

So these studies show that eating eggs and lean meat while avoiding other sources of PUFA actually massively increases tissue PUFA content. Damn.

EDIT: Reading closely, however, what DID help consistently was a low-fat diet. So instead of avoiding PUFA, it might be best to avoid all fat in general and up the carb-intake.

2. Liubo

Liubo Member

This can happen in the short term because the enzyme that turns linoleic acid into arachidonic acid becomes much more active when the body gets low on linoleic acid. Aspirin has been shown to partly block this enzyme, while iron overload causes the enzyme to work harder.

3. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

That's messed up yo

4. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

Ray says these pufas get stored. They are very toxic. So no surprise thst the body efficiently removed them from blood plasma.

5. Mufasa

Mufasa Member

Tagging at @haidut because he seemed to have studied PUFA metabolism a lot.

6. haidut

haidut Member

Arachidonic acid is synthesized as needed. I would not take a single measure of tissue levels as a reliable metric. In cases where tissue injury is present, probably a lot of arachidonic acid will be synthesized on-demand. Also, given that arachidonic acid can only be synthesized from linoleic acid I am not buying the argument that controlling linoleic acid intake has no effect on arachidonic acid levels. In metabolic wards where food intake can be tightly controlled it has been shown that restricting linoleic acid and achieving EFA deficiency quickly depletes arachidonic acid and lowers most inflammatory biomarkers. So, PUFA restriction does have an effect, which observational studies probably cannot measure due to poor depletion status in the general population and on-demand synthesis of arachidonic acid which single measurements may miss.

7. Daft

Daft Member

I just want to say I've researched the AA amounts in many different foods, using nutritiondata.com, I believe its 20:4 undifferentiated chain fatty acid(only info given, tho it seperates into o3 and o6 forms, I assume o6 form is the bad one), and have found some interesting things. 1 egg has .080g or 80mg, salmon and fatty fish are stunningly high, sardines about 300mg/100g, salmon 300-500mg if wild or farmed. For meats, Beef is often lowest, followed by pork, chicken fat is highest.

I've suspected connections between AA intakes and various problems I've had, but at other times when theyve resolved, AA no longer exacerbates. Also originally suspected a connection based on negative effects of using DUCK FAT as a fat, probably highly concentrated in AA!! eugh...

Its supected in chronic/auto immune inflammatory conditions AA metabolism acts differently and reducing its intake is helpful, such as an apparent common tip to avoid eggs in arthritis, whereas in normal people(without chronic inf disorder) this AA metabolism isnt messed up (unfortunately cant remember study I read this)

For example:
    Pork, fresh, enhanced, loin, tenderloin, separable lean only, cooked, roasted Nutrition Facts & Calories
    Lean pork has 50mg of 20.4 fatty acid if you expand the fatty acids section. Bacon has 150mg for example. Fatty chicken is usually 130mg. Fatty beef usually remains below 75mg! Dairy has 0mg!

Another thing I've read is a vegetarian diet can cause Crohns/IBD to go into remission and stay that way, and suspected AA may be part of why. Learnt from a Nutritionfacts.org video