No PUFA No Cancer? Not Backed By Study Ray Cites

nograde

http://peatarian.com/49034/critical-rev ... t-citation

What do you think of it? I'm also a native German speaker and read the study now several times and indeed Ray's claim about fat-free diets preventing "spontaneous development of cancer" (which he clearly bases on this study from 1927) seems a bit misleading to say at least.

Also slightly disturbing:

mice on the lipidfree diet (even without getting injected with cancer) had a increased mortality and died already after around 3 weeks. On the next morning, those mice were found without brains, as it was eaten by their "lipidhungry comrade"

Mittir

I do not see the point of discussing a Chinese study without the translation of
the study. I can not rely on a random on line person translating that.

One funny thing about percentage.

In the summary of all experiments (205 mice total), mean tumor weight on the normal diet was 6.1g and on the lipidfree diet it was 2g (~65% reduction).

This same statement can be rephrased as " In the summary of all experiments (205 mice total), mean tumor weight on the lipid free diet was 2 g and normal diet was 6.1g (~200% increase).

Or i can say tumor on normal diet was 3 times the tumor of lipid free diet.

More important question is how much PUFA was there in normal diet.
How much PUFA was there in lipid free diet, if any? How was the status of
nutrients in lipid free diet. RP would draw completely different conclusion from
Burr's experiment where PUFA free rat developed skin condition but not the
rats on PUFA diet. That same study showed high oxygen consumption from
low PUFA high sucrose diet. RP's conclusion was that nutritional deficiency caused
skin problems in PUFA deficient rats. RP often use the data in studies
to make his point, not their conclusion.

@Charlie. Can you hire someone to translate this study for us?

OP
N

nograde

Mittir, I think the author's point was that Ray's conclusion is misleading because the study in no way examined the "spontaneous development of cancer" (tumours were injected). And, even if the fat-free diet led to a diminished tumour-growth the mice were emaciated, died prematurely and were still having cancer.

He raises a good point! I wish I understood German.

Mittir

The author you are talking about is doing his interpretation of this same study.
Since, i can not read german paper, i will just use my common sense here.

In experiment B, tumors were found in 9/9 mice with the normal diet (mean tumor weight 0.96g) and in 5/7 mice with the lipidfree diet (mean tumor weight 0.4g).
In this experiment 2 out of 7 mice in lipid free did not develop tumor even after
tumor was injected but all the normal diet mice did. I am guessing tumor was
induced by some kind of poison, not an implantation of physical tumor .

One can observe, 2 lipid free mice did not develop cancer and all the mice
on normal diet did. What is so special about these two mice?
They did not develop tumor when they should have. I can see
that lipid free diet made these two rat resistant to induced tumor, this
automatically implies these are resistant to spontaneous tumor.

If you can not knock someone out with heavy blow you are not gonna
knock him out with light slap.

Edit: 2 out of 7 means ,30 percent of mice on lipid free diet did not
develop tumor even when they tried to induce tumor in them.
9/9 means 0 percent of mice on normal diet not get tumor
when it was induced.

OP
N

nograde

Mittir said:
I can see that lipid free diet made these two rat resistant to induced tumor, this
automatically implies these are resistant to spontaneous tumor.

I agree that those two mice indicate an increased resistance with a fat-free diet, but your "implication" really is a bit far fetched and exactly of that kind we despise in so many other studies.

burtlancast

nograde said:
http://peatarian.com/49034/critical-review-series-cancer-found-diets-incorrect-citation

What do you think of it? I'm also a native German speaker and read the study now several times and indeed Ray's claim about fat-free diets preventing "spontaneous development of cancer" (which he clearly bases on this study from 1927) seems a bit misleading to say at least.

He's wrong about the phrasing ( "spontaneous tumors" should instead be replaced by "inoculated tumors"), but the numbers do give him reason, although not as emphatically as he wrote.

I suspect Ray could add other studies on fats and cancer to further make his point.
But nonetheless, that's a valid critique worth pursuing with him.

nograde said:
mice on the lipidfree diet (even without getting injected with cancer) had a increased mortality and died already after around 3 weeks. On the next morning, those mice were found without brains, as it was eaten by their "lipidhungry comrade"

Ray's conclusions about fats and cancer are backed up by Gerson's treatment of cancer with a fat free diet.
Gerson's patients received NO FATS OF ANY KIND for 1.5 years, and survived hopeless prognosis by official medicine.
So, i wouldn't say at all a fat free diet causes increased mortality, quite the contrary.

HDD

"Nevertheless, we go seheint from all those Yersuche properly excel- , daft the lipoid / ree food the Carcinomwachstum in the mouse au ~ extraordinarily hemmt1 ."(inhibited)

Inhibited is in parentheses because I put in hemmt separately to translate the meaning of this sentence.

This is from the study's ending paragraphs/conclusions translated (somewhat).

This seems to say that with the fat free food the cancer in the mouse was extraordinarily inhibited.

Extraordinarily-beyond what is usual, ordinary, regular, or established

OP
N

nograde

Haagendazendiane said:
This is from the study's ending paragraphs/conclusions translated (somewhat). This seems to say that with the fat free food the cancer in the mouse was extraordinarily inhibited.

I will try a translation of that paragraph as close to the original as possible:

Original:
Trotzdem scheint uns aus der Gesamtheit dieser Veruche einwandfrei hervorzugehen, dass die lipoidfreie Kost das Carcinomwachstum bei der Maus außerordentlich hemmt.

Translation:
Nevertheless, in their entirety the experiments clearly show that a lipid-free diet extraordinarily inhibits the growth of carcinoma in mice.

Look, I did not want to question the validity of the claim that PUFA or high-fat diets are detrimental to health and could possibly even lead to cancer. The more I read the more my faith in that claim is strengthened.

To give you an perspective what I mean by faith: I kept my PUFA intake well below 4g/day for the last two and a half years. In the last months I drove my total fat intake down to less than 25g/day and my average PUFA intake is now less than 2g/day. If you record your nutrients I think you all know how difficult that is to achieve.

I'm only a bit disappointed that Ray gives a misleading interpretation of that study in a way that I believed to be way below his own standards.

HDD

I do not have the same opinion about him being misleading. His conclusions as a scientist are profound along with his integrity. As Mittir pointed out, his conclusions from research are not always the same as the researcher. We don't have to agree with his conclusions but I don't think his character should be misaligned. :2cents

tara

Haagendazendiane said:
On Peatarian.com, a poster has pointed out that Peat's conclusion that cancer can't occur without unsaturated fats did not come from the 1927 study. He referenced this study for that statement.

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/45/5/1997
And on this page there was also a link to this nice abstract:
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/127/6/1055.abstract

Cows' Milk Fat Components as Potential Anticarcinogenic Agents
[edit to add:] © 1997 American Society for Nutritional Services
The optimum approach to conquering cancer is prevention. Although the human diet contains components which promote cancer, it also contains components with the potential to prevent it. Recent research shows that milk fat contains a number of potential anticarcinogenic components including conjugated linoleic acid, sphingomyelin, butyric acid and ether lipids. Conjugated linoleic acid inhibited proliferation of human malignant melanoma, colorectal, breast and lung cancer cell lines. In animals, it reduced the incidence of chemically induced mouse epidermal tumors, mouse forestomach neoplasia and aberrant crypt foci in the rat colon. In a number of studies, conjugated linoleic acid, at near-physiological concentrations, inhibited mammary tumorigenesis independently of the amount and type of fat in the diet. In vitro studies showed that the milk phospholipid, sphingomyelin, through its biologically active metabolites ceramide and sphingosine, participates in three major antiproliferative pathways influencing oncogenesis, namely, inhibition of cell growth, and induction of differentiation and apoptosis. Mice fed sphingomyelin had fewer colon tumors and aberrant crypt foci than control animals. About one third of all milk triacylglycerols contain one molecule of butyric acid, a potent inhibitor of proliferation and inducer of differentiation and apoptosis in a wide range of neoplastic cell lines. Although butyrate produced by colonic fermentation is considered important for colon cancer protection, an animal study suggests dietary butyrate may inhibit mammary tumorigenesis. The dairy cow also has the ability to extract other potential anticarcinogenic agents such as β-carotene, β-ionone and gossypol from its feed and transfer them to milk. Animal studies comparing the tumorigenic potential of milk fat or butter with linoleic acid–rich vegetable oils or margarines are reviewed. They clearly show less tumor development with dairy products.

tara

tara said:
And on this page there was also a link to this nice abstract:
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/127/6/1055.abstract

Cows' Milk Fat Components as Potential Anticarcinogenic Agents1 ...
Just noticed affiliations of author:
Peter W. Parodi
- Author Affiliations
1 Human Nutrition Program, Dairy Research & Development Corporation, Glen Iris, Victoria 3146 Australia

In my opinion they're just going up the ladder of elongase and desaturase, they are no closer to the dictionary definition of essential than the FDA is.

Now that you suggest it I will (is salmon ok?) Fish oil gave me acid for over a day. To understand there is no vitamin F they will need to expand their views rather than narrow them. If anything he is backing up his system to more stable positions by loading with the product. Insulin gets that flow running and that should tell you something. A very warm organism I think will make simply Mead's acid, as a placeholder, if at all he makes anything. Of course Mr. Kruse there takes ice baths and his body needs no lessons on thermodynamics.

Amazoniac

I haven't had good experiences with fish oil (Green Pastures Fermented) either. But I don't blame for sure on the rancidity of the PUFA or excess of it. One of these days I was recalling the experience and could've been so many other things; like vitamin A toxicity, not balanced by enough D or E in my diet back then. Also, just like any other processed food, it could rob you and deplete you if already deficient in some nutrient. This could also played a role. I should have written a log first stabilizing everything and then trying it.
If I was going to try again I would try in whole foods form: fatty fish.
Chris Masterjohn, which I admire a lot his work, if I'm not wrong, takes Cod Liver Oil on a diet considered to be optimal that is low in PUFAs.

Back
Top Bottom