No More Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice? Beneficial Flavor Packs?

Philomath

We all know that orange juice is beneficial on many levels, fructose, naringenin etc. Being the ever diligent Peatarian, I only drink fresh squeezed, strained OJ because it is far superior to store bought, not from concentrate juice like Tropicana or Simply Orange. The downside of the latter being the flavor packs, enzymes and pulp.
I also thought OJ contained naringin and naringenin, two inflammation reducing flavones, because that's what Dr.Peat has mentioned in several interviews.
However, I recently googled the question "how much naringin is in orange juice and found an interesting study: http://www.mdpi.org/molecules/papers/12081641.pdf

To summarize,
-fresh orange juice was analyzed and the juice alone had no naringin or naringenin but contained a great deal of hesperetin. (Note: Valencia oranges had the least amount of flavones/flavanoids in general)
- Commercial orange juices present a similar composition to freshly squeezed ones, with the
appearance of some unexpected compounds. Naringin (24, 2.13 mg/100 mL) and diosmin (43, 3.46
mg/100 mL) hint at the possibility that some of the samples analyzed are not pure orange juices [75].
Diosmin is typically found in lemon juice, whereas naringin and naringenin (2, 0.8 mg/100 mL) are
components typical of grapefruit juice and sour oranges like mandarins.

So the fact commercial juice contains more naringin/naringenin could mean:
A. commercial juice uses a blend of sweet and sour oranges (Ooghe et al. [75] optimized a method to detect the addition of as little as 2% of sour orange juice to commercial sweet orange juice, by measuring the
amount of naringin and neohesperidin.)
B. the commercial "flavor packs" contain juice from grapefruit, mandarins or they may contain oil from peels (flavedo) which contain a variety of flavanoids

So now I'm questioning whether the fresh squeezed orange juice I'm drinking is as beneficial as the store bought orange juice.

What OJ are you drinking and what effects are you noticing pro or con?

Dean

Based on Dan's Toxinless website, I started drinking Dole. They apparently don't use flavor packs or the enzymes to disperse pulp; and it's readily available and affordable. It seems to agree with me quite well. Only problem is that more than a couple cups of OJ gives me major heartburn.

OP
Philomath

Philomath

I'll chck out the Dole brand - thanks.
Btw, have you tried adding some baking soda to your oj?

OP
Philomath

Philomath

I don't know how much you need to add for it to neutralize some of the acids but I usually add a pinch or two which doesn't really change the taste. But I don't react to OJ like you do. Now milk on the other hand, more than two cups at a time for me and my guts go thermonuclear :wtf:

Dean

Philomath said:
I don't know how much you need to add for it to neutralize some of the acids but I usually add a pinch or two which doesn't really change the taste. But I don't react to OJ like you do. Now milk on the other hand, more than two cups at a time for me and my guts go thermonuclear :wtf:

I got my issues with milk too.

The "flatter" taste of the oj with baking soda added reminds me too much of all the orange flavored barium I had to drink when I was really sick several years back. I couldn't even smell oj or anything "orangey" for a couple years after that without a retching revulsion.

OP
Philomath

Philomath

I'm investigating naringenin supplements. You could go that route for the flavonoid benefits and something like honey for the fructose. Lemons have naringenin like flavonoids and vitamin c too... Lemonade is the new orange juice!

Dean

Yeah, I do lemonade (especially meyer lemons), yet too much of that can also cause the heartburn issue. Lemons (and limes) lack the folate that oj has, however.

*edit* My bad. Lemons are comparable to oranges in folate. Sorry for the incorrect info. But still, the juice of that many lemons ends up causing the same problem that oj does.

OP
Philomath

Philomath

I think the inositol is highest in fresh juice.

OP
Philomath

Philomath

S_S,
I don't know enough about Inositol, is that a positive or negative?

sm1693

Philomath said:
So the fact commercial juice contains more naringin/naringenin could mean:
A. commercial juice uses a blend of sweet and sour oranges (Ooghe et al. [75] optimized a method to detect the addition of as little as 2% of sour orange juice to commercial sweet orange juice, by measuring the
amount of naringin and neohesperidin.)

Extremely insightful post. I have been drinking homesqueezed oj recently and it has been a bit of a mystery as to why I get acid overload from ANY commercial oj I've tried in amounts less than 8 oz, and yet when drinking homesqueezed juice, I can drink 64 oz in a day and be as snug as a bug in a rug, no acid effects...

I believe baking soda is only needed to detoxify crappy corporate sour juices. I see no reason why a person making juice for themselves would ever use sour juice, so the only reason for the appearance of sour juice must be to increase profits by adding undesirable sour oranges. Unless of course, they did focus groups and more people liked the taste of sour juice, but this feels unbelievable as corporate oj is repulsive to me and homesqueezed oj is addictive like crack...

Perhaps we need a new thread labeled, "Addition of Sour Juice, Big Food's latest Attempt To Cheat You."

OP
Philomath

Philomath

But is adding sour juice, ie mandarins, all that bad? There wouldn't be any naringin/naringenin in the store bought juice at all if they didn't add it. Food for thought ;-)

Actually I don't see people squeezing Valencias or Navels at home anyway. Just making a gallon or so a week with the lower quality (smaller, less sweet) oranges could break the bank for many people. The industry doesn't reason any differently although they could have wider margins.

tara

Philomath said:
I'm mostly drinking commercial juice for reasons of availability and cost (and maybe time), approx 1l/day. It did not agree with me until I started adding baking soda. I add about 1tsp baking soda :1l commercial OJ. Now I crave it and usually feel better for my morning and evening drink. Before baking soda, I would feel off after a few hundred mls - I speculate about too much citric acid for my already overly acid state. If I use a lot higher ratio of baking soda it does not taste good to me.

I also buy and eat fresh oranges when they are in season, but even then, its a bit random guessing whether a particular batch will be sweet or unripe - I love them when they are ripe.

OP
Philomath

Philomath

tara said:
Philomath said:
I'm mostly drinking commercial juice for reasons of availability and cost (and maybe time), approx 1l/day. It did not agree with me until I started adding baking soda. I add about 1tsp baking soda :1l commercial OJ. Now I crave it and usually feel better for my morning and evening drink. Before baking soda, I would feel off after a few hundred mls - I speculate about too much citric acid for my already overly acid state. If I use a lot higher ratio of baking soda it does not taste good to me.

I also buy and eat fresh oranges when they are in season, but even then, its a bit random guessing whether a particular batch will be sweet or unripe - I love them when they are ripe.

Tara,
What are some of the symptoms of an overly acidic state?

tara

I would personally feel off - unwell chemically somehow in the head with the straight commercial sour OJ in a way a started to think of as too acid, and the OJ would quickly start to taste bad. But my main health issues seem to revolve around brain chemistry and dynamics, and others may not experience it the same way. The RBTI line was also that acid states tended to promote faster bowel transit, while alkaline states tended to slow transit. I've never been one for much vinegar or pickles. I was testing UpH regularly for a while a couple of years back under the influence of RBTI, just before pursuing this more Peat-inspired approach, and found it to be more often on the acidic side (where I was aiming for 6.4 ideally). I keep meaning to test this again a few times now to see whether it's changed, but have a shortage of round tuits.

Parsifal

tara said:
post 76487 I would personally feel off - unwell chemically somehow in the head with the straight commercial sour OJ in a way a started to think of as too acid, and the OJ would quickly start to taste bad. But my main health issues seem to revolve around brain chemistry and dynamics, and others may not experience it the same way. The RBTI line was also that acid states tended to promote faster bowel transit, while alkaline states tended to slow transit. I've never been one for much vinegar or pickles. I was testing UpH regularly for a while a couple of years back under the influence of RBTI, just before pursuing this more Peat-inspired approach, and found it to be more often on the acidic side (where I was aiming for 6.4 ideally). I keep meaning to test this again a few times now to see whether it's changed, but have a shortage of round tuits.
That's interesting. Too much acid can also make my eyelid twitch like a symptom of magnesium or other alkaline minerals defficiency.
But when I've researched things on alkaline/acid balance some years ago, I've read that lemon and apple cider vinegar dispite being acidic then become alkalizing in the body?
Seems that it is hard to find true informations as it is polluted by a lot of vegan/naturopathic crap/propaganda or by the conventional medicine agenda. Again you can read everything and it's contrary on this topic so difficult to know the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

Parsifal said:
post 111480 I've read that lemon and apple cider vinegar dispite being acidic then become alkalizing in the body?
I'm inclined to think Reams (RBTI) had quite a detailed understanding of significant aspects of biochemistry. His assessment of optimal UpH aligns with Peat's. He was a biochemist and a mathematician and an agricultural consultant. I don't know for sure that he was right, amongt all the competing theories, but my hunch is to think he was probably onto it in the area of pH. This about lemon juice tallies. I don't know one way or the other about ACV. I think some foods affect people in different ways, depending on the state of their digestion, etc. Speculation on my part, but maybe ACV aids in digestion in way that make the alkaline minerals in the food more available for absorption?

Last edited by a moderator: