No evidence for rate-of-living theory of aging

haidut

Forum Supporter
Just a quick post, since this topic dominates anti-aging research - i.e. despite lack of concrete evidence for it, mainstream research (and finding agencies) continue to claim that longevity is tied to metabolism, but in an inverse relationship. The study below is on turtles - one of the longest living organisms on the planet - and it found no support for the rate-of-living hypothesis. In fact, some of the non-aging species of turtles had the highest metabolic rates (in their genus).

https://www.psu.edu/news/research/story/secrets-reptile-and-amphibian-aging-revealed/
"...Miller explained that the "thermoregulatory mode hypothesis" suggests that ectotherms — because they require external temperatures to regulate their body temperatures and, therefore, often have lower metabolisms — age more slowly than endotherms, which internally generate their own heat and have higher metabolisms. “People tend to think, for example, that mice age quickly because they have high metabolisms, whereas turtles age slowly because they have low metabolisms,” said Miller. The team’s findings, however, reveal that ectotherms’ aging rates and lifespans range both well above and below the known aging rates for similar-sized endotherms, suggesting that the way an animal regulates its temperature — cold-blooded versus warm-blooded — is not necessarily indicative of its aging rate or lifespan. “We didn’t find support for the idea that a lower metabolic rate means ectotherms are aging slower,” said Miller."

Mauritio

"The variation obvious in Figure 6 is a clear demonstration that the rate-of-living generalization is only a rough predictor of how long a mammal species can maximally live. Its inability to precisely describe the maximum longevity of a mammal suggests other factors are involved in the determination of maximum life span."

"Intraspecific studies on dogs (333), mice (234, 332), and humans (301) reveal a positive association between maximum life span and mass-specific metabolic rate "

"Several intraspecific studies using mice and rats (40, 146, 202, 332, 333) have not observed an inverse relationship between mass-specific metabolic rate and MLSP. Indeed, some of these studies show the opposite of rate-of-living predictions, namely, that mice with high mass-specific metabolic rates tend to live longer than those individuals with low metabolic rates."

(https://journals.physiology.org/doi...l_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org)

JamesGatz

I definitely think living forever naturally is possible

There's so many animal species with Negligible Senescense I've seen - Lobsters, naked mole rats unsurprisingly, sharks, tortoises, etc

307C95FD-A45A-4D22-8669-06A235AA4920.jpeg

Recently I've been so low-stress I really feel like I'm either not aging or aging so slowly it's not noticeable - I look the same everyday legit at this rate if 20 years pass by I'll bet money I look exactly the same as today

whenever I'm under stress though I definitely notice myself getting older

Anyway - when it's time for me to go I refuse to die of "old age" - the only honorable way for me to go is for GATES to get me himself 1-on-1 combat or maybe a huge animal like a 400 pound primate thats the only honorable way for me to go

Soren

Forum Supporter
I definitely think living forever naturally is possible

There's so many animal species with Negligible Senescense I've seen - Lobsters, naked mole rats unsurprisingly, sharks, tortoises, etc

View attachment 38982

Recently I've been so low-stress I really feel like I'm either not aging or aging so slowly it's not noticeable - I look the same everyday legit at this rate if 20 years pass by I'll bet money I look exactly the same as today

whenever I'm under stress though I definitely notice myself getting older

Anyway - when it's time for me to go I refuse to die of "old age" - the only honorable way for me to go is for GATES to get me himself 1-on-1 combat or maybe a huge animal like a 400 pound primate thats the only honorable way for me to go
Fascinating,

Just found an article on the worlds oldest naked mole rat that is 39 years old!

The Long, Strange Life of the World’s Oldest Naked Mole Rat

When Buffenstein set out to study how naked mole rats age, she wanted a sort of before and after picture of their biology—to determine when their bones, or organs, or even antioxidant levels change. She waited. Then waited some more. “It was very frustrating," Buffenstein says. "Because you want to see this change happen, so that you can then delve down to what's changed.”

I find it funny that she was waiting for this guy to die and he was just like nope. The article is both amusing and interesting because they observe all these remarkable longevity and vitality that the mole rats have, (Joe is basically the same now at 38 as when he was 2) but they have no idea how they live so long likely because their whole frame of reference for how aging works is based on false premises so they don't know how to even ask the right questions. Its remarkable how dogma can keep you blinded.

There is virtually no incidence of cancer, and the females are fertile into their 30s which would be the equivalent of 300 years in human terms!

Yet they talk about future gene therapy as a way to "harness this power". Talk about missing the woods for the trees.

ampersand

😂

parallax

How Does the Age Gap Between Partners Affect Their Survival?
Male lifespan is more associated with having a younger spouse than having a spouse who is older than oneself. Mate selection? Morphic resonance?

Didn't read, but intend to.

My own opinions, no citation:
Hummingbirds have the highest metabolic rate per body size of any vertibrate animal, and they have inordinately longer lifespans that would be predicted by the rate-of-living and sugar-is-bad theories.

Or is life span just associated with appreciating flowers, as the hummingbirds and butterflies certainly do?