No digestive symptoms, yet I don't digest anything...

Callmestar

I have as good as no digestive / stomach symptoms. No bloating, gas, no pain, no diarrhea. My stomach feels fine. Yet when I look at my Poo/stool (apologies for too much information) it is full of undigested food. The stools are often quite hard, they often float, they are usually a light clay colour.

I did a Stomach acid test with Betaine HCL. Taking tablets and increasing the dose until you feel a burning sensation which indicates how much stomach acid you have. I've taken 6 tablets at a time so far, with no burning sensation which indicates my stomach acid is low/non existed.

I appear to have slight intolerances to gluten and dairy, but again they do not give me any digestive / stomach issues, only very bad brain fog and headaches.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on with my digestion and what I can do to improve it? I do have some health issues that I'm struggling with which I have posted about elsewhere but I won't bore you all with that again here. I'm hoping if I can get my digestion in order it might help with the ongoing health problems.

retroactive

I have experienced the same thing in terms of brain fog after eating things like gluten, starches, legumes, corn syrup, some fruits. Its allergenic reactions I believe causing this. Potentially a compromised digestive tract - ie inflamed gut. Avoiding triggers (a whole lot of stuff for me), some antibiotics (carrot salad, charcoal and some pharmaceuticals ), and reinstroducing milk slowly have helped me. Oh and a round of cyproheptadine was very useful.

T

TheBeard

I have as good as no digestive / stomach symptoms. No bloating, gas, no pain, no diarrhea. My stomach feels fine. Yet when I look at my Poo/stool (apologies for too much information) it is full of undigested food. The stools are often quite hard, they often float, they are usually a light clay colour.

I did a Stomach acid test with Betaine HCL. Taking tablets and increasing the dose until you feel a burning sensation which indicates how much stomach acid you have. I've taken 6 tablets at a time so far, with no burning sensation which indicates my stomach acid is low/non existed.

I appear to have slight intolerances to gluten and dairy, but again they do not give me any digestive / stomach issues, only very bad brain fog and headaches.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on with my digestion and what I can do to improve it? I do have some health issues that I'm struggling with which I have posted about elsewhere but I won't bore you all with that again here. I'm hoping if I can get my digestion in order it might help with the ongoing health problems.

What are the foods you see floating?

Corn? Spinach? Peppers?

That's normal, those foods aren't meant to be eaten.

ursidae

Hard stool-constipation, dehydration
Floating-fat malabsorption
Pale- insufficient bile
Undigested food- exocrine pancreatic insufficiency
difficulty with breaking down casein and gluten- //possibly// low stomach acid
Not burning from betaine hcl- stomach lining is not damaged

is the stool odorous? What does your tongue look like

this is all just a possibility, things might not be as bad for you. Sounds like what they call poor vagal tone, a sluggish GI tract. you need b vitamins for proper nerve function and bad digestion makes it hard to absorb them. You also need to have a good posture/no skeletal misalignments

I’d supplement with sunlight, long walks, taurine, oxbile, magnesium glycinate, histidine, zinc gluconate, zinc carnosine, iodine, a good B complex (activated B complex by source naturals looks good, so does activated b complex by natural factors and Swanson, there might be better ones) + a small dose of benfotiamine or sulbutiamine, hydrolysed beef collagen, vitamin C, a potassium rich diet, betaine hcl or another hcl donor (careful with this I almost never got the burning and then gave myself burning gastritis). Modest modest doses of everything, don’t wanna imbalance yourself. I don’t know your exact situation, I might even harm you with this advice. this is what helped me.

have you ever used antibiotics? People here don’t like probiotics but once you get your gut motility going and stomach acid/bile restored, SIBO is not as much of a risk and I think a good bifido probiotic can be very beneficial

Last edited:

mostlylurking

for your consideration:

Motif

Hard stool-constipation, dehydration
Floating-fat malabsorption
Pale- insufficient bile
Undigested food- exocrine pancreatic insufficiency
difficulty with breaking down casein and gluten- //possibly// low stomach acid
Not burning from betaine hcl- stomach lining is not damaged

is the stool odorous? What does your tongue look like

this is all just a possibility, things might not be as bad for you. Sounds like what they call poor vagal tone, a sluggish GI tract. you need b vitamins for proper nerve function and bad digestion makes it hard to absorb them. You also need to have a good posture/no skeletal misalignments

I’d supplement with sunlight, long walks, taurine, oxbile, magnesium glycinate, histidine, zinc gluconate, zinc carnosine, iodine, a good B complex (activated B complex by source naturals looks good, so does activated b complex by natural factors and Swanson, there might be better ones) + a small dose of benfotiamine or sulbutiamine, hydrolysed beef collagen, vitamin C, a potassium rich diet, betaine hcl or another hcl donor (careful with this I almost never got the burning and then gave myself burning gastritis). Modest modest doses of everything, don’t wanna imbalance yourself. I don’t know your exact situation, I might even harm you with this advice. this is what helped me.

have you ever used antibiotics? People here don’t like probiotics but once you get your gut motility going and stomach acid/bile restored, SIBO is not as much of a risk and I think a good bifido probiotic can be very beneficial

what do you think is wrong with people who can take up to 6-20 capsules of betaine hcl?

and what helped you best for your digestion .
Did you ever hear that cranberry juice helps?
Or how much salt do you think is recommended for people with such issues? Some people take some salt sole before meals and say it helps

I for example don’t feel anything when I take 6 hcl betaine / pepsin capsules. I never tried more ; but I feel like I could take the whole bottle

ursidae

what do you think is wrong with people who can take up to 6-20 capsules of betaine hcl?

and what helped you best for your digestion .
Did you ever hear that cranberry juice helps?
Or how much salt do you think is recommended for people with such issues? Some people take some salt sole before meals and say it helps

I for example don’t feel anything when I take 6 hcl betaine / pepsin capsules. I never tried more ; but I feel like I could take the whole bottle
didn’t notice much digestive benefit from cranberry.
personally when I take salt beyond craving I start to feel bad so I prefer hcl supplements. But Chlorides (salt) are just one part of it, you could be needing B1/3/5, iodine, histidine, zinc, thyroid, etc.
b vitamins, iodine, ginger, no dairy helped with transit time/bloating but I think I still have low stomach acid
The mixed response to betaine hcl is a bit of a mystery to me. People who have quite poor digestion with signs of protein deficiency and putrefaction that feel pain from hcl supplements simply have a damaged or thinned stomach lining IMO. Look at your nails, hair, skin, tongue if they’re ridged with white spots, frizzy, inflamed, coated/scalloped and you’re eating quality meat every day it might not be getting assimilated.

Motif

didn’t notice much digestive benefit from cranberry.
personally when I take salt beyond craving I start to feel bad so I prefer hcl supplements. But Chlorides (salt) are just one part of it, you could be needing B1/3/5, iodine, histidine, zinc, thyroid, etc.
b vitamins, iodine, ginger, no dairy helped with transit time/bloating but I think I still have low stomach acid
The mixed response to betaine hcl is a bit of a mystery to me. People who have quite poor digestion with signs of protein deficiency and putrefaction that feel pain from hcl supplements simply have a damaged or thinned stomach lining IMO. Look at your nails, hair, skin, tongue if they’re ridged with white spots, frizzy, inflamed, coated/scalloped and you’re eating quality meat every day it might not be getting assimilated.
How much hcl betaine are you taking to each meal ?

did you ever try encymes or ox bile with hcl ?
or if a thyroid supplement makes a difference ?

ursidae

How much hcl betaine are you taking to each meal ?

did you ever try encymes or ox bile with hcl ?
or if a thyroid supplement makes a difference ?
When I take it I take about 6 because it’s expensive. Otherwise I can take 15 sometimes more
Yeah I took the now foods super enzymes which has hcl enzymes and oxbile

bile is alkaline it’s not good to take it if you want to acidify. It’s meant to neutralise the acid once it leaves your stomach
Took T3 zero difference in digestion but mood and energy were better

Motif

I took 400 mg ox bile to meals and it helped my digestion a lot. I ordered the suoer encymes yesterday and will probably try to combine with other hcl supplement

Motif

Any progress yet?

OP
C

Callmestar