No Dehydration From Coffee

YuraCZ

I've never tried it. I enjoy getting my magnesium from coffee. This method sounds slightly less enjoyable... slightly.
Magnesium from drinking coffee? really? How much coffee for 300-400mg of magnesium? Coffee will dehydrate you and make magnesium deficient even more lol..

schultz

Magnesium from drinking coffee? really? How much coffee for 300-400mg of magnesium? Coffee will dehydrate you and make magnesium deficient even more lol..

Yes, coffee has magnesium. Quote from Ray's coffee article...

"Coffee provides very significant quantities of magnesium, as well as other nutrients including vitamin B1."

100g of instant coffee gives 327mg of magnesium
210g of ground coffee gives 308mg of magnesium

The magnesium in coffee is also highly bioaccessible.

Coffee will not dehydrate you. The belief that coffee will cause your body to lose magnesium is based on the idea that coffee is a diuretic. Coffee does have a diuretic action in people who don't drink coffee, but the effect is lost in people who regularly consume it.

Total body water and its compartments are not affected by ingesting a moderate dose of caffeine in healthy young adult males. - PubMed - NCBI
"These findings indicate that a moderate caffeine dose, equivalent to approximately 5 espresso cups of coffee or 7 servings of tea, does not alter TBW and fluid distribution in healthy men, regardless of body composition, PA, or daily water ingestion."

Caffeine ingestion and fluid balance: a review. - PubMed - NCBI
The available literature suggests that acute ingestion of caffeine in large doses (at least 250-300 mg, equivalent to the amount found in 2-3 cups of coffee or 5-8 cups of tea) results in a short-term stimulation of urine output in individuals who have been deprived of caffeine for a period of days or weeks. A profound tolerance to the diuretic and other effects of caffeine develops, however, and the actions are much diminished in individuals who regularly consume tea or coffee.

Fluid, electrolyte, and renal indices of hydration during 11 days of controlled caffeine consumption. - PubMed - NCBI
"These findings question the widely accepted notion that caffeine consumption acts chronically as a diuretic."

The effect of caffeinated, non-caffeinated, caloric and non-caloric beverages on hydration. - PubMed - NCBI
"This preliminary study found no significant differences in the effect of various combinations of beverages on hydration status of healthy adult males. Advising people to disregard caffeinated beverages as part of the daily fluid intake is not substantiated by the results of this study."

Black tea is not significantly different from water in the maintenance of normal hydration in human subjects: results from a randomised controlled ... - PubMed - NCBI
"It was concluded that black tea, in the amounts studied, offered similar hydrating properties to water."

OP
YuraCZ

YuraCZ

100g of instant coffee gives 327mg of magnesium
210g of ground coffee gives 308mg of magnesium

Coffee will not dehydrate you. The belief that coffee will cause your body to lose magnesium is based on the idea that coffee is a diuretic. Coffee does have a diuretic action in people who don't drink coffee, but the effect is lost in people who regularly consume it.

So drinking 210g of ground coffee for 300mg of magnesium? No it wouldn't dehydrating me, but kill me LOL...

"Coffee does have a diuretic action in people who don't drink coffee, but the effect is lost in people who regularly consume it."
Is there any evidence for this?

schultz

"Coffee does have a diuretic action in people who don't drink coffee, but the effect is lost in people who regularly consume it."
Is there any evidence for this?

I listed a study showing this in my previous post.

"These findings question the widely accepted notion that caffeine consumption acts chronically as a diuretic."

The effect of caffeinated, non-caffeinated, caloric and non-caloric beverages on hydration. - PubMed - NCBI
"This preliminary study found no significant differences in the effect of various combinations of beverages on hydration status of healthy adult males. Advising people to disregard caffeinated beverages as part of the daily fluid intake is not substantiated by the results of this study."

Black tea is not significantly different from water in the maintenance of normal hydration in human subjects: results from a randomised controlled ... - PubMed - NCBI
"It was concluded that black tea, in the amounts studied, offered similar hydrating properties to water."
I agree with these statements, just from my own experience. When I first started drinking coffee at 32 years old it did give me a diuretic effect, and maybe still did for a longtime, I don’t know because I really wasn’t paying attention. Since adding sugar to my coffee six years ago, I retain it in my body easily for hours and hours.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals