NMDA / Schizophrenia

OP
Highserotonin90
[QUOTE = "magnesiumania, post: 451245, membro: 8911"] Pensavo che la schizofrenia fosse una iperattivazione della NMDA e un'elevata attività del glutammato. Ho sperimentato una percezione distorta del tempo che in comune negli schizos, ma mi sono davvero incasinato dalla glicina. Leggo il post di Jack Kruse sulla schizofrenia e le alterazioni degli orologi interni. [/ QUOTE]

Absoluetely not High NMDA!

LUH 3417

magnesiumania

I personally have a strong belief in the demyelination theory of schizophrenia and white matter anomalies due to dysfucntion of astrocytes. Bio~available copper is required for astrocytes to work which in turn is dependent on retinol and ceruloplasmin for binding. The lack of copper allow iron to accumulate which is responsible for the oxidative damage.

LUH 3417

I personally have a strong belief in the demyelination theory of schizophrenia and white matter anomalies due to dysfucntion of astrocytes. Bio~available copper is required for astrocytes to work which in turn is dependent on retinol and ceruloplasmin for binding. The lack of copper allow iron to accumulate which is responsible for the oxidative damage.
What about very transient schizophrenia? It just seems strange there would be such severe physiological changes that would reverse within weeks for people who experience transient psychosis and then never/rarely ever go crazy again. Post partum psychosis seems like another anomaly that is largely mediated by hormones and a change in life situation

magnesiumania

Could be triggered by a minor shock or something which is easy for the body to deal with. I believe there are as many diseases as there are human beings or moments in time. Lables are often misleading. However im convinced mineral dysregulation is prevalent in all disease no matter the degree, transient or severe.

OP
Highserotonin90
@magnesiumania so you suggest increase Cooper in the diet ? Have sense ? Probably yes because limit zinc absorbed (zinc close NMDA, not open same magnesium).

baccheion

I though schizophrenia was an overactivation of NMDA and elevated glutamate activity. Ive experienced a distorted perception of time which in common in schizos but i get real messed up from glycine. I rcm reading Jack Kruse' post on schizophrenia and alterations in internal clocks.
Where did you read this? Higher NMDA/AMPA/glutamate is more associated with OCD.

@magnesiumania so you suggest increase Cooper in the diet ? Have sense ? Probably yes because limit zinc absorbed (zinc close NMDA, not open same magnesium).
There are labs that check nutrient levels. Maybe hair mineral analysis.

OP
Highserotonin90
Some really interesting ideas came up to think about.

Thank you all.

baccheion

Fixing nutrient deficiencies and normalizing hormone levels does a lot to reduce symptom severity. Eat, sleep, and supplement well. Lowering inflammation and oxidative stress is also a good strategy.

Some need to look into food sensitivity tests to see which cause too much inflammation. I can't remember if keto was good for schizophrenia or if it was just epilepsy, etc.

Anders86

Fixing nutrient deficiencies and normalizing hormone levels does a lot to reduce symptom severity. Eat, sleep, and supplement well. Lowering inflammation and oxidative stress is also a good strategy.

Some need to look into food sensitivity tests to see which cause too much inflammation. I can't remember if keto was good for schizophrenia or if it was just epilepsy, etc.

Eat a Peat inspired diet and all is well. Keto is good for epilepsy because of lack of endotoxin(fiber) and is considered blasphemy on this forum for the right reasons.

baccheion

Eat a Peat inspired diet and all is well. Keto is good for epilepsy because of lack of endotoxin(fiber) and is considered blasphemy on this forum for the right reasons.
Genetic testing isn't a bad idea either.

I found based on certain genes that I had fat malabsorption issues. They're made even worse by a mutation that results in too much magnesium being excreted by the kidneys. I absorb cholesterol efficiently and I'm less likely to excrete (reflected by higher (though not high) cholesterol according to blood work, even before teenage years).

Some may have similar issues or ones that suggest low-carb instead. Some may also have unusually strong immune response to certain foods. It's great when reliable and relevant tests are available.

Anders86

Genetic testing isn't a bad idea either.

I found based on certain genes that I had fat malabsorption issues. They're made even worse by a mutation that results in too much magnesium being excreted by the kidneys. I absorb cholesterol efficiently and I'm less likely to excrete (reflected by higher (though not high) cholesterol according to blood work, even before teenage years).

Some may have similar issues or ones that suggest low-carb instead. Some may also have unusually strong immune response to certain foods. It's great when reliable and relevant tests are available.

Genetics are mostly poor statistics.

baccheion

Lol, a fat malabsorption gene :tearsofjoy:
Yea, related to genes such as FTO and others. Fat absorption, fat processing/storage, appetite without associated metabolic rate increase, increased cholesterol absorption and retention, increased excretion of magnesium, etc. You disagree with such a thing existing?

OP
Highserotonin90
To recap @magnesiumania @baccheion

Increasing copper in the diet (zinc antagonist could therefore limit the negative effect of zinc that closes the NMDA channels) in order to support astrocytes (glial cells).

Butyrate appears to have positive effects here.

Use NMDA receptor agonists and co-agonists (D-Serine- Cycloserine-Glycine).

Limit the use of magnesium / zinc ?

Pregnenolone neurosteroids with positive effects on NMDA and GABAa

Try to optimize sleep and reduce stress

Vitamin D High dose ?

Support myelin loss as much as possible (Vitamin B1, Omega 3?)

I strongly believe that closed channels can strongly slow down glycolysis and the Krebs cycle ... and the normal functioning of methylation ... the normal metabolic functions.

In the case of the subject in question, homocysteine is high despite no MTHFR mutations ... In schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder, homocysteine is high regardless of the use of B6, B9, B12 and Folate.

Anyone who wants to intervene is always appreciated.

OP
Highserotonin90
The disease involves:

Cholinergic and glutamatergic transmission deficit

Serotoninergic receptor disorder

dopamine deficiency in the frontal areas but high in the mesolimbic areas

excess histamine in mast cells

gaba deficit

GHB receptor disorder, Excess i-1

Relic deficit

myelin loss

low adenosine level

low orexin activity

baccheion

I have a doubt about copper. If I remember correctly, excess is another cause? Would be good to lead with some sort of nutrient test to check levels.

N-methylglycine and trimethylglycine are used to lower homocysteine.

OP
Highserotonin90
I have a doubt about copper. If I remember correctly, excess is another cause? Would be good to lead with some sort of nutrient test to check levels.

N-methylglycine and trimethylglycine are used to lower homocysteine.

Exactly it seems another cause but if what he says "magnesium" is correct ... do you need more? the subject has benefits from chocolate and it is certainly not because of the magnesium that blocks NMDA ... it is rich in copper.

TMG I think it's still a methyl donor right? in case I would have strong side effects as high methylation.

Sarcosine not found in Europe :(

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals