Nixtamilized Corn

tankasnowgod

I had a little exchange with Ray on the topic of nixtamalized corn!

Q: I have tried corn tortillas from nixtamalized corn yesterday. For the first time. I ate like 5 or 6 of them and suffered with horrible stomach cramps after . Today I had a couple of bowel movements and feel surprisingly fine.
Now I'm not sure if I should continue eating them or not .
Maybe it was detox reaction ,maybe it doesnt agree with my body...
Do you have any insights on that or what I could do ?

A:It was probably just that your stomach didn’t expect it; they are more nutritious than things like bread and pasta."

Q: I've read from several people that theres supposedly all kind of mycotoxins a couple hours after the preparation of the nixtamalized corn tortillas .
Do you think that is concerning?

A: Only if you have moldy corn, and the alkali cooking removes much of that, which is drained off. Wheat flour is often contaminated with mycotoxins, so it would probably be good to nixtamalize wheat.

That's so cool.

I got some tortillas from a local Mexican market that make their own, and they do it the traditional way. Many are still warm and steamy in the package, with just corn, water, and lime as the ingredients.

I also got some CAL (aka Calcium Hydroxide, aka Slacked Lime), and "Nixtamalized" potatoes for fries, and they come out really good!

Well, did the fries, and the result was good. The CAL really firmed up the potatoes, both before cooking, and after frying. I think slicing them really thin, like chips, would have been excellent. The thin pieces had the best crunch of any homemade fries I can remember. The insides weren't soft and fluffy, they were firm as well, but not overly hard. I can see where some people would absolutely love these, and some not like them so much. I would think most people would say they are good.

They kinda reminded me of these Belgain Fries I once had, but that was decades ago.....

(link to Benita's Frites, which appears to be long gone)

If some place wanted to start "Nixtamalizing" Fries and then started deep frying them in HCO (or Tallow), I can imagine they would get quite a following.

Next up for me..... Trying to Nixtamalize apples.

Since he suggested it for wheat, I'm guessing Peat would approve of it for Potatoes, too. There are some chefs out there trying to Nixtamalize all sorts of foods (still not sure if I've spelled that word correctly yet)-

Dr. B

Same here, I buy the cheap conventional stuff. I know GMOs are a concern for some people, but it ranks more toward the bottom of my list of concerns. Organic to for that matter. The only thing I exclusively buy organic is fruits, because they seem to ripen better.
Yeah. I mean, it's not like I forgo food quality or anything. It's just that since I've gotten into Peat's ideas I've changed how I approach food quality. I look for different things. Dairy for example, most organic dairy products are still very low quality in my opinion. They're full of gums and/or carrageenins. I rather have a conventional product that has no gums in it then a organic product with gums.

I rather buy conventional sauces or vegetables in glass jars than organic sauces and vegetable in cans full of endocrine disruptors. Grassfed meats are important to me, but if there is a sell on the grainfed stuff that I can take advantage of, then I'll buy that instead and save a few bucks. I rather have the tasteless refined expeller pressed coconut oil than the virgin organic stuff that has a nutty flavor to it.
I think how you feel is the most important with some consideration of the source of food.

We typically get as much organic as possible, especially fruits and meats, but that can become it's own stressor if taken too seriously.
feeling isnt a valid way to judge probably,.
organic is at least pesticide free, antibiotic and hormone free. the main risk with organic is vaccines for animal products. and then there are risks as far as any toxic things in the environment, like the air itself, but those will still be there with non organic items. with non organic items you can be assured companies will do whatever they can (unless they state otherwise) to use herbicides, pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, estrogen, plump up the meats/fruits, use gmos etc.
the organic orange juices always taste much sweeter and nicer than non organic, all organic milk ive tried tastes better. though milk you also want no added vitamins, A2, 100% grass fed etc

BibleBeliever

What about the pufa content of masa?

3.4 grams of pufa for 200 grams, 726 calories.
niacin 3.3mg another reason why Peat recommends it and the calcium content at 276mg

1630825925831.png

VS Potatoes
845 grams equals same calories at 726.
You only get .4 grams of PUFA,, less than 1/8th the amount.
Much higher niacin content at 11.1mg, although less calcium at 67.6mg
Potatoes having superior protein quality. Although less selenium

1630826032442.png

Is the PUFA reading in the masa accurate? Is there way to get rid of the fat?

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

feeling isnt a valid way to judge probably,.
organic is at least pesticide free, antibiotic and hormone free. the main risk with organic is vaccines for animal products. and then there are risks as far as any toxic things in the environment, like the air itself, but those will still be there with non organic items. with non organic items you can be assured companies will do whatever they can (unless they state otherwise) to use herbicides, pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, estrogen, plump up the meats/fruits, use gmos etc.
the organic orange juices always taste much sweeter and nicer than non organic, all organic milk ive tried tastes better. though milk you also want no added vitamins, A2, 100% grass fed etc

Peat doesn't drink organic milk or OJ. Not that he's the almighty, but it's a good consideration.

I'm all for sticking with organic and agree with many of your points, minus the feeling part of course.

I know plenty of people who drink non organic milk, and lots of it daily (8-10+ cups) who feel a lot better on it than organic.

Dr. B

Peat doesn't drink organic milk or OJ. Not that he's the almighty, but it's a good consideration.

I'm all for sticking with organic and agree with many of your points, minus the feeling part of course.

I know plenty of people who drink non organic milk, and lots of it daily (8-10+ cups) who feel a lot better on it than organic.
how do we know this? didnt he recently say he doesnt know the brand of OJ he drinks or something when Danny asked him
with milk he said he gets it from farmers who dont treat it. I assume he is picky about the milk he gets, it may not be certified organic, but many raw milk farms arent certified, but Peat said many store brands of milk seem to sour too quickly, that good milk with clean milking techniques doesnt sour quickly even without pasteurization.
if they do better on organic than non organic the only explanation would be if maybe they are more grass fed cows, or its A2 non organic milk, or maybe theres some fillers in the organic milk theyve tried that werent there in the non organic one. almost all the non organic milk brands are using hormones/pesticides etc, the most ive seen from a non organic brand is things like A2, anti biotic free, non homogenized, antibiotic free, never seen them state pesticide or hormone free, and never seen a 100% grass fed milk thats non organic, even though it would be possible technically. what brands of non organic milk are they doing well on mate

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

how do we know this? didnt he recently say he doesnt know the brand of OJ he drinks or something when Danny asked him
with milk he said he gets it from farmers who dont treat it. I assume he is picky about the milk he gets, it may not be certified organic, but many raw milk farms arent certified, but Peat said many store brands of milk seem to sour too quickly, that good milk with clean milking techniques doesnt sour quickly even without pasteurization.
if they do better on organic than non organic the only explanation would be if maybe they are more grass fed cows, or its A2 non organic milk, or maybe theres some fillers in the organic milk theyve tried that werent there in the non organic one. almost all the non organic milk brands are using hormones/pesticides etc, the most ive seen from a non organic brand is things like A2, anti biotic free, non homogenized, antibiotic free, never seen them state pesticide or hormone free, and never seen a 100% grass fed milk thats non organic, even though it would be possible technically. what brands of non organic milk are they doing well on mate
Lucerne milk is the one I've heard him mention, which is store bought and not organic.

PEAT via email: "I have been drinking 1% milk for 50 years, and I think it’s o.k." He's mentioned that the fillers typically found in store bought milk hasn't caused him issues.

Look, I'm in the same thinking about getting the cleanest foods/liquids as possible. I drink a 100% grassfed raw milk (the past month daily,) at least I'm told it is from a farm. I mix it with 1% organic milk that I get from Wholefoods (which I've been drinking daily for 4+ years daily.) I don't imagine that 1% is absent of fillers, etc, but I feel good on it consistently.

As far as friends/colleagues who I know drink that much milk per day range from Costco, Publix, Wholefoods and a few other local stores that don't have multiple sites. I'm familiar with the main ones and the milk isn't 100% grassfed, etc. Most of them drink 1 or 2% if that's helpful.

Dr. B

Lucerne milk is the one I've heard him mention, which is store bought and not organic.

PEAT via email: "I have been drinking 1% milk for 50 years, and I think it’s o.k." He's mentioned that the fillers typically found in store bought milk hasn't caused him issues.

Look, I'm in the same thinking about getting the cleanest foods/liquids as possible. I drink a 100% grassfed raw milk (the past month daily,) at least I'm told it is from a farm. I mix it with 1% organic milk that I get from Wholefoods (which I've been drinking daily for 4+ years daily.) I don't imagine that 1% is absent of fillers, etc, but I feel good on it consistently.

As far as friends/colleagues who I know drink that much milk per day range from Costco, Publix, Wholefoods and a few other local stores that don't have multiple sites. I'm familiar with the main ones and the milk isn't 100% grassfed, etc. Most of them drink 1 or 2% if that's helpful.
At least since last year Peat has been getting raw milk from farmers and skimming it and lightly heating it himself. but he doesn't seem to care much whether it's organic, or A2, or grass fed or even homogenized or pasteurized.
the fillers discussion was just brought up last year or maybe 10 months ago as well on the podcast, Peat wasn't aware of milk brands having hidden ingredients like carrageenan, or propylene glycol or polysorbate 80. similar to citric acid and even carrageenan, some people tolerate those fillers more than others, i don't get any symptoms from any milk if it's a glass or two per day but if I'm having a half gallon per day then there's clear differences between non organic vs organic, whole vs others etc. Peat also mentioned kirkland is a good brand in the pacific northwest, I think he's going off taste and whether he got any symptoms from drinking kirkland and lucerne. I am pretty sure those milks are the lowest as far as quality and are likely heavily soy/corn fed cows. the grass fed label only requires the cows being grass fed 30% of the year, and if they dont mention things like pesticide free, antibiotic and hormone free i would just assume they are using them.
which organic brands did they try? many organic brands are also ultra pasteurized. I can see being able to tolerate non organic milk, its probably tolerable for many, but having worse reactions to organic than to non organic seems unbelievable, unless theres some sort of fillers in the organic stuff, or maybe the pasteurization method!

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

At least since last year Peat has been getting raw milk from farmers and skimming it and lightly heating it himself. but he doesn't seem to care much whether it's organic, or A2, or grass fed or even homogenized or pasteurized.
the fillers discussion was just brought up last year or maybe 10 months ago as well on the podcast, Peat wasn't aware of milk brands having hidden ingredients like carrageenan, or propylene glycol or polysorbate 80. similar to citric acid and even carrageenan, some people tolerate those fillers more than others, i don't get any symptoms from any milk if it's a glass or two per day but if I'm having a half gallon per day then there's clear differences between non organic vs organic, whole vs others etc. Peat also mentioned kirkland is a good brand in the pacific northwest, I think he's going off taste and whether he got any symptoms from drinking kirkland and lucerne. I am pretty sure those milks are the lowest as far as quality and are likely heavily soy/corn fed cows. the grass fed label only requires the cows being grass fed 30% of the year, and if they dont mention things like pesticide free, antibiotic and hormone free i would just assume they are using them.
which organic brands did they try? many organic brands are also ultra pasteurized. I can see being able to tolerate non organic milk, its probably tolerable for many, but having worse reactions to organic than to non organic seems unbelievable, unless theres some sort of fillers in the organic stuff, or maybe the pasteurization method!
I think we're clear on our points about using how we feel as an aspect of basing what we can and can't tolerate, etc?

As far as my colleagues list of milks that they had, I'm not going to list them out here as it would require me to reach out to them and confirm. 1 or 2 people is one thing, but 10+ isn't happening.

Going of taste and seeing what symptoms might arise qualifies as "how I feel."

Good to see you can tell the difference in your experience. That's a good sign of health. Health equating as a path of paying attention to what works well for you.

清貴杉山

What about the pufa content of masa?

3.4 grams of pufa for 200 grams, 726 calories.
niacin 3.3mg another reason why Peat recommends it and the calcium content at 276mg

View attachment 27509

VS Potatoes
845 grams equals same calories at 726.
You only get .4 grams of PUFA,, less than 1/8th the amount.
Much higher niacin content at 11.1mg, although less calcium at 67.6mg
Potatoes having superior protein quality. Although less selenium

View attachment 27510

Is the PUFA reading in the masa accurate? Is there way to get rid of the fat?
bro i wouldnt worry about the pufa in the masa,200 grams of masa its a ***t lot of it,im a big guy who workouts and if i eat masa i dont eat more than 100g,100g its alredy a big amount of flour in my package it says 0,8grams of fat per 50g so per 200g its 3.2grams of total fat,maybe 1.3g of pufa,not a lot,instead of water i use skimm milk for making my arepas,the flavor is good and extra calcium and protein

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals