Nitrofurantoin (MacroBID)

ursidae

Has any member of this forum used this antibiotic, experienced side effects and pinpointed the cause of them? A place to post about your personal experience and any useful information you find about it.

OP
U

ursidae

I’ve been taking calcium pyruvate and it’s helping me have more energy and better reading comprehension. I can better focus on understanding this text now
If I got it right the problem with macrobid is that it’s preventing the conversion of pyruvate to acetyl-CoA and which is why citrate production is being inhibited. It’s competing with one of the cofactors of the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex. In this study it’s not specified which one (or maybe I’m not picking it up) but in another one that cites this one it’s stated to be thiamine pyrophosphate. I have been taking that for a while. It’s been only two days since I started taking pyruvate so I’ll need more time to draw conclusions but weird things happened. I slept only five hours and felt completely rested upon waking which has never happened in my life. I had a lot of energy today especially mentally. I hope this continues

Has any member of this forum used this antibiotic, experienced side effects and pinpointed the cause of them? A place to post about your personal experience and any useful information you find about it.
Hi,

Our experience this past week:
My mother - late 50s- was prescribed 100mgx2 for 7days for UTI. Right before her final dose, she started getting hives, a few hours later she began vomiting blood, became unconscious, resulting in a trip to ER with epinephrine, prednisone, Pepcid, and Benadryl. Discharged with tapering dose of prednisone for 6 days.
Hives came back day after hospital discharge and the prednisone is barely able to control her itching. A quick search online revealed that MANY people have had delayed allergic reaction to this, with hives lasting from weeks to months.
Grass fed beef tallow stopped the itching (but it could have also been the prednisone kicking in)
If anyone has any ideas about how to detox from this/repair heal from this— I would appreciate it.

Peatress

Hi,

Our experience this past week:
My mother - late 50s- was prescribed 100mgx2 for 7days for UTI. Right before her final dose, she started getting hives, a few hours later she began vomiting blood, became unconscious, resulting in a trip to ER with epinephrine, prednisone, Pepcid, and Benadryl. Discharged with tapering dose of prednisone for 6 days.
Hives came back day after hospital discharge and the prednisone is barely able to control her itching. A quick search online revealed that MANY people have had delayed allergic reaction to this, with hives lasting from weeks to months.
Grass fed beef tallow stopped the itching (but it could have also been the prednisone kicking in)
If anyone has any ideas about how to detox from this/repair heal from this— I would appreciate it.
My reaction wasn't as bad as your mother's. I came out in a rash but I think it contributed to some health issues I had in 2020. I can't believe this drug has not been banned. Try some thiamine - I think nitrofurantoin disrupts thiamine. This might be helpful

My reaction wasn't as bad as your mother's. I came out in a rash but I think it contributed to some health issues I had in 2020. I can't believe this drug has not been banned. Try some thiamine - I think nitrofurantoin disrupts thiamine. This might be helpful

Thanks for the tip and this link- I found a lot of useful info here.

To update, the itching finally went away after 4th day of tapered prednisone but she continued taking the doses they gave her for the final 2 days to be sure. One note regarding my mom’s recovery just to caution others. She doesn’t like to take too many meds and left the hospital thinking she won’t need the steroids, but she absolutely did. In my quick research as we were leaving the hospital, it seemed that abrupt withdrawal from prednisone (125mg and 85 mg given at hospital) even if the hives didn’t return might be worse than just taking the tapered dose. I will have to look up the exact reference again, but iirc, 30 mg stops your own body’s production of cortisol, you’re body needs the tapered steroids to allow your adrenals to adjust and produce.

From:Prednisone treatment – follow dosing recommendations

Prolonged use of prednisone can result in suppression of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis. Abrupt cessation or a too-rapid withdrawal of prednisone may cause symptoms of adrenal insufficiency,4 such as abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhoea, weakness and hypotension.5

The need for gradual prednisone withdrawal should be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Generally, dose tapering is required for patients who have:4

• received more than 40 mg of prednisone per day for more than one week
  • been given repeat prednisone doses in the evening
  • received prednisone for more than 3 weeks
  • have recently had repeated courses
  • have taken a short course within one year of stopping long-term therapy
  • have other possible causes of adrenal suppression.
During corticosteroid withdrawal the dose may be reduced rapidly down to physiological doses (equivalent to prednisolone 7.5 mg daily) and then reduced more slowly. Assessment of the condition being treated may be needed during withdrawal to ensure that relapse does not occur.