59.7 KB · Views: 132
OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

Raymond Peat, Ph.D.

Nitric Oxide, Nitrates, Nitrites, and Fluoride

KMUD, 2015​

(Transcribed by Burtlancast)

HD: This month’s continuing subject are nitric oxide, nitrate, nitrates, and fluorides, all included into the food chain and decreasing fertility. Quite a few controversial subjects. Dr Peat, can you introduce yourself for those who have never heard of you?

RP: From 1968 to 1972, I've studied biology, physiology, and biochemistry especially, at the University of Oregon for a PHD. Before that, i was in linguistics, literature, English and such. And since then, I've been writing newsletters and doing consulting.

HD: Your background is very much focused on the energetic state of the organism, required to thrive and survive. Your research work on hormones relates to fertility and mitochondrial energy production , which is key in understanding how disease happen. Most people haven't made these links between energy production and diseases.

RP: I had been intending to study brain biology when i went to university, and the dogmatism in the nerve biology department made me look elsewhere. And I've found that reproductive physiology was an open, more scientific area. So, after I've finished my thesis on the aging of the reproductive system, i then went back and applied that information to how the brain works, and spent a year or two writing my book “Mind and tissue”.

HD: Did you find the subject of reproductive physiology as dogmatic as the other branches of science ?

RP: No, not at all. My thesis adviser, Arnold Soderwall, had been one of the pioneers in exploring the effects of Vit E as a fertility nutrient. And, in the 1930’s and 1940’s, it was Vit E who was recognized as a protection against polyunsaturated fats and against estrogen. Both of those were things that interfere with oxidative energy production. So, Vit E was preserving the ability of tissues to oxidize properly. And it has come to be known as an antioxidant, but really it should be thought as a normalizer of good oxidative metabolism.

HD: When hearing the word “estrogen”, most people would think... me included , up until about 8 years ago, having been dogmatically brainwashed by the industry providing the education in herbal medicine, very aligned to regular western medicine in terms of the physiology, the biochemistry, the pathology and the differential diagnoses, etc...it’s very science-based, regular mainstream medical education. And it wasn’t until i had left, maybe ten years later, after having read different reports, and looking very alternatively at my profession that I've discovered the lies, basically, that were fed through the system, from the top down, from the professors to the students. I mean, without exception, wherever there’s prestige, there’s a great degree of brainwashing, going along with the money from industry, that’s paying off people to keep things quiet, or to produce bogus scientific research to support potentially dangerous products on their way to the market. Or that’s paying off the FDA to allow things to get cleared. All the way through government, wherever there’s money, there’s a huge amount of corruption that can come through.
And most people aren’t immune to it. I want to mention some statements in order to help people to understand that this part of the show is much more about what we think we know, we really don’t know. And everybody has access to the internet now; it’s a huge resource for people to stand up and say things you’re not going to hear on Fox, CNN, or regular mainstream media. Regular mainstream media is dying a very slow death here. And while you do find on the internet a lot of cranky things, it represents an amazing platform for people to spread, research. There’s always a self-evident truth that, for most people, just rings true the first time they hear it. The 2 quotes i wanted to mention are: “ The people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives” and “A nation of sheeps will be ruled by wolves “ (Thomas Jefferson). In 1776, there are some very important constitutional rights that have been layed down. I’m an US citizen now, after being born in Britain. I’m quite happy to be away from England and it’s tyrannical control, and America has a long history of individual freedom, and that’s something that we really need to preserve. Let’s get into the subject of things that we think are good for us that our elected officials, under the influence of lobbyists, allow on the market. But the internet reveals that the science behind it is fraudulent, and even uneducated people realize it. And i want to get into the topic of fluoride. Ray Peat’s newsletter concerns nitric oxide, that most people believe is good for them. Just like they think estrogen is perfectly normal, and not harmful, inflammatory or carcinogenic. This comes in line with what doctors are telling us, just as themselves were told by the people doing the bogus science and the profiteering from big industry. So, a lot of what we hear, we just cannot believe it. I encourage everybody to research what I'm going to say, and find it out by themselves. I have prepared a paragraph on the subject of fluoride in order to show how unbelievably evil it is. The largest lie you can produce is probably the most easy to hide in plain sight, because it’s just stupendously unbelievable that most people don’t even see it. It’s hidden in plain sight. The fluoride they put in our drinking water isn’t even an pharmaceutical grade additive; it’s an industrial waste byproduct. And making money out of waste products by selling them as additives or food is big business. With the increasing aluminum production in the beginning of the 20th century, it became necessary to get rid of the fluoride, which is a waste, by-product of the industry. Manufacturers could no longer dump it into rivers or landfills because it was poisoning crops and making livestock sick. Now, Francis Frary, chief scientist for ALCOA, had an idea: he commissioned Gerald J. Cox, at the Mellon Institute to conduct research regarding the benefits of adding fluoride to the water supply. The Mellon Institute was frequently hired by big business to produce research that supported their industry; for several decades, they produced research showing that asbestos was safe and didn’t cause cancer. Another proponent of the safety of fluoride at the time was scientist Harold Hodge, who was later exposed as part of the Human Radiation Experiment, where tests subjects were injected with plutonium and uranium in 1945 through 1946. And this was documented by the Pulitzer Prize reporter winner Eileen Welsome in “The Plutonium files”, outlining everything that was done in these hideous experiments overseen by Harold Hodge. Hodge was also the chief toxicologist for the Manhattan Project, and fluoride was a key component in the production of the atom bomb. And his studies were conducted with a bias towards proving fluoride safe, which would protect the government and the industry from lawsuits. Now, the phony science research done to support water fluoridation was underwritten by these massive companies: the aluminum company of America, ALCOA, the aluminum company of Canada, the American Petroleum Institute, Dupont, Kaizer Aluminum, Reynold Steel, US Steel, and The National Institute of Dental Research.

PR master Edward Bernays, also known as the father of spin, created the PR campaign to sell fluoride to the nation as an additive recommended by a doctor and dentist for healthy teeth. And he was a pioneer of modern propaganda and used the theories of mass psychology and persuasion to suit the needs of corporate and political organizations. And the main fluoride chemical added to the water today is hydrofluorosilicic acid, an industrial by-product from the phosphate fertilizer industry. Fluoride given to rats has been proven to cause bone cancer, liver cancer, and a host of other physical ailments. Dr Peat, what’s your take on fluoride and it’s action on teethes ?

RP: I’ve read a few studies in the 1970’s in which they had compared villages that had high fluoride or zero fluoride added to the water. The teethes were healthier in the village without the fluoride. And some of the early studies were done in Montana towns, for the water was naturally mineralized, and they were getting trace minerals naturally in their water. And they didn’t control for that; they likened the fluoride content for the good dental health. But it was probably the magnesium, molybdenum, other trace minerals in the water that helped the teethes mature properly. And because i was interested, i went to hear John Yiamouyiannis talk; and he was very impressive. He was supposedly debating a dentist who claimed to be an expert in water fluoridation. And he finally got the understood myth that his preparation consisted of reading a review article. And Yiamouyiannis had worked for the abstracting service (i think it was the biological abstracts) and was familiar with 15.000 studies on fluoride; and he could make any opponent look ridiculous. And so, they avoided debating him; they just said he was a quack and so shouldn’t be given any serious hearing. Yiamouyiannis and Dean Burk did a study in Los Angeles and found that the fluoridation... before and after fluoride was added, the cancer incidence increased. And Dean Burk was really one of the best cancer researchers in the world: he was a college of Otto Warburg. So, Dean Burke’s reputation was damaged by getting involved with fluoride.

HD: It’s unfortunate in the geopolitical landscape that the people who align themselves with the truth are often attacked and discredited, and people that have genuine humanitarian ethics when they go into science and research find things that disturb them, and quite rightly, they want to blow the whistle on it, and then quite obviously the suffer the tirades, abuse or discrediting that goes on to make them seem like idiots or quacks, as you’ve mentioned. Like I've said, it’s sooo difficult, folks; sometimes the truth is in plain sight, but it’s the most difficult to see. It’s like the phrase “can’t see the wood from the trees”. But the internet is a great resource to find out lots of stuff that you’re not going to find on mainstream news. And, thank goodness, the mainstream media is slowly dying a death.
Dr Peat, what do you think about the additives nitrates and nitrites ? When talking about governments allowing additives, the corruption issue comes in, where the money is a big part in making the decision to allow it, and phony science that seems to support it’s use or safety, when that actually isn’t the scientific truth at all.

RP: Around 1970, there were studies of these nitrosamines compounds, mostly involving proline or other amino acids reacting with nitrates in the stomach. And it came out they were very powerful carcinogens, and that they were formed in cigarette smoke. They were one of the majors carcinogens in cigarette smoke. But the Farm industry was forcing greater production by using artificial fertilizers (high nitrates fertilizers). And spinach produced with this fertilizer will grow very quickly, produce a lot of mass. But forcing it with a high nitrate causes it to contain several times as much nitrate as normal vegetables would. And the cooking process alone forms the nitrosamines.

HD: Even when you’re boiling a vegetable in water, rather than in high heat, they typically associate nitrosamines with like bacon, or...

RP: Yeah. But even vegetables, which have a reputation for being associated with a low cancer incidence because the many good nutrients they contain, it happens if you choose the vegetables that are industrially over-fertilized with nitrate, and then cook them thoroughly, so that they are digestible, you’re producing the same sort of carcinogens than tobacco smoke.

HD: Nitrate fertilizers aren’t allowed organically, but maybe, even there, they are over-fertilizing with chicken manure ?

RP: Yes. The nitrogen could be in the form of ammonia; that could be the safe way for the plants to get their nitrogen, and there wouldn’t be any problems then. But the more they are forced with an excess of nitrogen, they simply absorb the nitrates or nitrites in a crude chemical form that isn’t doing the plant any good. But when you eat it, then it circulates in your body and is then exposed to many layers of enzymatic and non-enzymatic interactions of free radicals as well as reductases will convert nitrates to nitrites, and nitrites to nitric oxide. Those increase according to your level of stress. So when you’re eating food that either contains it as preservatives, like in processed meats, or the industrialized produced vegetables, you’re creating the conditions for a bad reaction to stress.

HD: And then, if you’re stressed out when you’re eating, then that makes it even worse ? It makes all digestion worse, right ?

RP: I would suppose so. With old age, the conversion of ordinary protein arginin to nitric oxide is accelerated by the various things that interfere with your cellular oxidation. And then if you add environmental nitrates or nitrites to that, you’re making your ability to resist stress weaker and weaker, because these things accumulate and become a more abundant source of nitric oxide, which then feeds back and blocks the ability to use oxygen.

HD: What about natural sources of nitrates and nitrites, like in celery ?

RP: I think they are just as bad.

HD: Because the bottom line is they still produce nitrates. So, can aging accelerate the process of nitric oxide or nitrate formation in the elderly ?

RP: Yes. The argument that the industry’s pushing is that brain circulation supposedly goes with intelligence; it does in young people. And so, if you increase the diameter of the blood vessels by increasing your nitric oxide, you’re going to reverse the process of brain aging, by getting more blood circulating. It does help the brain to function to circulate more blood through it, but the problem is nitric oxide at the same time is blocking the ability to use the oxygen. So, it’s imitating a shock state. In cirrhosis, for example, you get an exaggerated circulation of blood, which isn’t being used, because things are inhibiting the oxidative enzymes. And in the spontaneously age accelerated rats and mice (they’re genetic mutants that age 3 or 4 times the normal rate), they’re very old when they are 6 months old; these animals happen to produce tremendous amounts of nitric oxide. So the people arguing for the sale of nitric oxide products say: “Oh, that’s because they’re defective, and they need more nitric oxide.”. So they say that the high concentration of nitric oxide in the prematurely senile animals is there protectively. But when you intervene, for example, exposing to overdoses of UV light, or ionizing radiation, you create changes similar to those of aging, including gene mutations and so on. And you can extract the liquid from an organism that has been irradiated; and that liquid will produce the sale deteriorations, mutations and so on.

HD: The bystander effect.

RP: Yes. And the bystander effect is largely the result of over-production of nitric oxide.

HD: A listener in Germany wants to know what’s your fact-based opinion on cannabis ?

RP: When i was ten years old, a doctor prescribed it for migraines. And i took a glass of the tea from cannabis leaves everyday for about a month, and i didn’t notice really any effect. So, i was never impressed by the claims for it’s great sedative or pain killing effects, or whatever. But i know it does have it’s useful sedative effects.

HD: What do you think of the potential estrogenic effects of it, given it’s in the same family as hops (only 2 members exist in the Cannabaceae: cannabis sativa and humulus lupulus (hops)) ? I know in England, in the summertime, when, typically, the women would be picking the hops in the hops fields for the beer industry, most of these women would skip their menstrual cycle because it was such a disrupter of the menstrual cycle because of it’s estrogenic activity.

RP: It does have an anti-testosterone effect. I think the worst effect of, when it’s smoked ( because the smoke itself has an estrogen action).

HD: In that perspective, since i know you talk a lot about estrogen being a negative very pro-inflammatory hormone, that’s correct ?

RP: Yes. In general. It activates the immune system in a short term antibody-producing way that is in certain situations useful, but it’s why women have a very high incidence of auto-immune disorders, because it impairs the energy resources at the same time that it’s making these short term emergency changes in the immune system.

HD: Now, to confirm, the synthetic fertilizers are not accepted as organic.

Caller: This is David from Missouri. I wanted to comment that the term “government” is a very nebulous term; it appears to be a corporate structure being run by corporations that’s being used as a shell to hide under and for concealing. It goes on in the food supply, the military, the banking industry. It’s obvious the idea of the government is there to protect us is just a big illusion. A scam. Dr Peat has awaken me to this idea of learned helplessness; in a way that’s what the program is, all the time. They want us to learn helplessness. It’s a brainwashing program. So, many people are asleep, and think you’re crazy when you talk about these things. People need to start waking up.

HD: I think the internet is largely responsible for making this kind of information possible. People need to exercise their rights. America is an awesome country. But if we don’t wake up soon, it’s not going to be around much longer. Hopefully, the people listening will be able to recognize the truth and the science behind it, and they will check it out for themselves.

RP: When i was young, i talked to old people to find out what it was like, 60 years before my time. My impression is really that it has been declining rapidly for about 150 years, now. And in the 60 years that I've been studying and talking to people about politics and such, the problems that i saw in the late 1940’s and 1950’s...i was one of the few people talking about it at that time. But now, there are probably millions of people using the internet to see the same drift that began...which basically is corporate control and using education and the medias to make the people think that things are progressing; the stories that lifespan has been lengthened; the cancer war has been won, ...They simply are creating fraudulent statistics. The adult lifespan in ancient Rome was about the same as 20th century America.

HD: Indeed. And we supposedly have all this technology to help us...the science to do miraculous things. And yet, we really haven't advanced much at all; the whole war on cancer is a complete joke.
On another subject, an Austrian study sponsored by the Ministry of Agriculture and Health and carried by Dr. Jürgen Zentek found out that eating for 20 weeks genetically engineered corn from Monsanto may reduce fertility; there were fewer offspring, fewer litters, smaller offspring, and more females with no offspring. The mouses received 33% GE corn, or non-GE corn for the controls. The effects were particularly pronounced in the third and fourth litters, when the GE corn was consumed after a longer period of time. It’s no surprise to us that our US regulators did not catch this; none of our regular agencies require any long term animal feeding trials before allowing GE crops on the market. So folks, here’s another example of big corporate interests lobbying the government in allowing these things, when the science shows it not right. Just like the obesity epidemic in America in the last 50 years has caught up with 90% of the population, the same think will probably happen with GE foods, as the offspring multiply the effects from generation to generation. Another thing is male corn farm workers who regularly work with broad-spectrum herbicide Atrazine for their GE corn crops are found to have lower sperm counts.

RP: Atrazine is estrogenic.

HD: Dr Peat, i know you talk about potassium nitrate being a sperm count reducer.

RP: Yes. There was an experiment giving it to full grown bulls. And then they analyzed their testicles and found that immediately, with a moderate dose, their testosterone production went down. And then their sperm count went down, and it stayed low (the testicles were permanently damaged after they stopped giving them the doses of it).

HD: Do you know if this product, potassium nitrate, is it directly added to any foods ?

RP: Well, the nitrite is actually worse, because it’s chemically closer to nitric oxide.

HD: And it’s all about the generation of nitric oxide from these nitrates and nitrites, isn’t it ? That forms nitrosamines and nitric oxides.

Caller: Should we take multi-vitamins as we age ? Should women take calcium supplements, or instead use calcium-rich foods ?

RP: There are situations where the amount of multi-vitamins could be useful; if you’re really in a bad situation for getting good food. But the trouble is that they aren’t generally well formulated. And even the best formulations are made with somewhat contaminated chemicals. About 40 years ago I've found that i was having migraine headaches every time i took certains vitamins, especially vit B2, ascorbic acid, and rutin were the most intense for me. And i found that essentially all of the people i talked to with serious allergy problems were taking vitamin supplements. And that when they stopped the supplements, they recovered from their chronic allergy symptoms. So, I'm convinced that, unless it’s a very special situation, it’s better to avoid the supplements, and to chose foods for their high nutrient content.

HD: Do you know which vitamins lack the most in people ?

RP: I always recommend eggs and liver as the easiest way to get both trace minerals and vitamins. But you can look at food charts and find things that are not necessarily as good. But you can put together a diet with a high content of certain vitamins. Vit B2 is one that I've seen lot of serious deficiencies; people with red noses, rosacea, nose bleeds, some mood problems for memory and such. You can’t use oxygen if you’re deficient in Vit B2. But besides the fact that the synthetics are so allergenic for a lot of people, if you take up a very large amount (some of the pills have 50 or 100mg in each tablet), it can reach the level in your skin and your eyes where it sensitizes you to the sunlight. Even blue light will react with riboflavin in your eyes and skin, causing free radical change.

HD: B vitamins are water soluble vitamins that cannot be stored. What kind of dosage would you recommend for Vit B2 ?

RP: 5 or 10mg per day.

HD: I know you’re a big proponent of milk, cheese, dairy products in general. Are there any other sources for a good supply of calcium ?

RP: Green leaves, if they are well cooked, are a great source of calcium and magnesium.

Caller: What about products promising to specifically boost your nitric oxide ? Things like Superbeets, for example ?

HD: Nitric oxide is bad, therefore these products should be avoided. It’s the same thing as with Viagra, based too on nitric oxide to get the vasodilatatory effect, which can cause heart attacks, cardiovascular accidents, atrophy of the testicles. But the producers aren’t going to tell you that. It’s just gonna feel good and it will come with a lot of costs. Until it doesn’t.
Dr Peat, are red beets high in arginine ?

RP: Yeah, I think they are. But maybe are they feeding them extra nitrate, so they can claim that they’re Superbeets.

HD: A caller just said migraines can be taken care of with 2 hits of hash, as opposed to tea from cannabis leaves.

Caller: If something is non-GMO, can it still contain lots of pesticides ?

HD: Of course; they can still use agrochemicals on them; only USDA-certified organic hasn’t got them.

RP: The veterans from my time believed they had been fed potassium nitrate in their food. And I've read of old (seventeen to eighteen century things) that described it as a treatment for prisoners and soldiers to decrease their libido, so that they can attend to war, not be interested in romance. And for hundreds of years that was a popular concept; people seemed to recognize that it actually lowered libido. And the reasons experiments with bulls and such showed that it does stop the production of testosterone. But if you look on the internet, all of the popular medical sites are saying that’s a big myth; the army would never think of doing that; prison officials would never think of poisoning their prisoners or soldiers. They forget that for hundreds of years, people were recognizing the effect. And for it to be such a historically known fact that it suppresses libido, it’s strange that everyone is so enthusiastic about denying that it’s ever happened.

HD: Sounds like the Nazi concentration camps experiments that were done, using people as guinea pigs to conduct the research that supposedly has led us to great advancements in science.

RP: Barbara Seaman, who was a great researcher on estrogen, in her book “The Greatest Experiment Ever Performed on Women: Exploding the Estrogen Myth” , gave the story of the German experiments in the concentration camps, using estrogen to control, make the prisoners passive. And she was comparing the American medical practice of prescribing estrogen to practically all the women in the country.

HD: Is potassium nitrate found only in specific foods, or is it just part of the meat preserving food additives ?

RP: The nitrates are used in some other foods; but i think it’s mainly for keeping the meat red . It functions as a substitute for oxygen in the hemoglobin.

HD: Thank you Dr Peat.​

X3CyO

So veg sucks