Nitric Oxide In Beets

southcesar

Is the nitric oxide in the beet too bad? I never realized some negative effect drinking beet juice, but I know it may have problems with the nitric oxide consumption. So, is it really so bad?

Frankdee20

Is the nitric oxide in the beet too bad? I never realized some negative effect drinking beet juice, but I know it may have problems with the nitric oxide consumption. So, is it really so bad?

Beets and Arugala are a good source of Nitrate... I use Citrulline for monster erections, so I don’t care if NO is demonized on here

yerrag

Beets contain betaine, aka trimethylglycine. It was the original source for betaine, when betaine was discovered. And yes, nitric oxide isn't all bad. It depends on how the body uses it. It's used to kill pathogens when turned into ROS. It'a also used for vasodilation of our blood vessels. I'm sure there's something bad about nitric oxide, but I just don't remember them. Ray Peat's spoken about NO always on the negative, but somehow I find it hard to register with me.

OP
S

southcesar

Thx for the reply @yerrag . This is what makes me confused, years ago I was growing my hair until it was long, I drank beet juice daily and it helped a lot. However in this forum they talk about how bad NO is for your health and hair. I'm lost XD

OP
S

southcesar

Beets and Arugala are a good source of Nitrate... I use Citrulline for monster erections, so I don’t care if NO is demonized on here
this is something that really gets me lost. If I am unable to reach a conclusion, I will continue to consume beets (without excesses). Thanks for the reply

Kram

I'm not an expert on this stuff but I have read that there are different types of nitric oxide and, as others have mentioned, not all of it is bad. Below is one explanation of the difference from member Hans. If you search the forum, I believe this has also been discussed in some other threads.

There are about 3 enzymes that our bodies can create NO; inducible NOS, neuronal NOS and endothelial NOS.
iNOS is induced by bacterial infections, endotoxins and other foreign invaders and iNOS creates about 1000 times more NO than eNOS.
eNOS creates enough NO for optimal vascular health.

So in essence, iNOS creates pathological amounts of NO, whereas eNOS creates necessary amounts of NO.
NO in excess can cause oxidative stress in the body, DNA damage and lipid peroxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), which propagate via peroxyl radicals (ROO•) within the membrane, as well as in the low-density lipoproteins (LDL).

If iNOS is low and eNOS is optimal, you should have non-harmful amounts of NO.
The body can also make NO from nitrates in food, but research shows that the boost in NO, induced by veggies (which is about 2-3 fold), does not cause oxidative stress as there are anti-oxidant compounds in the veggies that protect the body against the mild increase in NO.
So beetroot juice or spinach, etc, should not be an issue, although pure arginine might be an issue.

Additionally, excess NO inhibits mitochondrial function which increases the production of the free radical superoxide. NO reacts with superoxide to create peroxynitrate. Peroxynitrate uncouples eNOS, to start creating superoxide instead of NO, thus leading to more oxidative damage and potentially hypertension.

RWilly

this is something that really gets me lost. If I am unable to reach a conclusion, I will continue to consume beets (without excesses). Thanks for the reply

I think it's because it's something that shows up when the body is under stress (like when we're attacked by pathogens). NO will help deal with that attack. To me it's one of those 'do you blame the fireman, or the fire?' scenarios. Same is true with cholesterol and copper IMO.

OP
S

southcesar

I'm not an expert on this stuff but I have read that there are different types of nitric oxide and, as others have mentioned, not all of it is bad. Below is one explanation of the difference from member Hans. If you search the forum, I believe this has also been discussed in some other threads.

There are about 3 enzymes that our bodies can create NO; inducible NOS, neuronal NOS and endothelial NOS.
iNOS is induced by bacterial infections, endotoxins and other foreign invaders and iNOS creates about 1000 times more NO than eNOS.
eNOS creates enough NO for optimal vascular health.

So in essence, iNOS creates pathological amounts of NO, whereas eNOS creates necessary amounts of NO.
NO in excess can cause oxidative stress in the body, DNA damage and lipid peroxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), which propagate via peroxyl radicals (ROO•) within the membrane, as well as in the low-density lipoproteins (LDL).

If iNOS is low and eNOS is optimal, you should have non-harmful amounts of NO.
The body can also make NO from nitrates in food, but research shows that the boost in NO, induced by veggies (which is about 2-3 fold), does not cause oxidative stress as there are anti-oxidant compounds in the veggies that protect the body against the mild increase in NO.
So beetroot juice or spinach, etc, should not be an issue, although pure arginine might be an issue.

Additionally, excess NO inhibits mitochondrial function which increases the production of the free radical superoxide. NO reacts with superoxide to create peroxynitrate. Peroxynitrate uncouples eNOS, to start creating superoxide instead of NO, thus leading to more oxidative damage and potentially hypertension.

Thank you very much for the explanation !!! It is a relief to be able to continue drinking the juice: P

OP
S

southcesar

I think it's because it's something that shows up when the body is under stress (like when we're attacked by pathogens). NO will help deal with that attack. To me it's one of those 'do you blame the fireman, or the fire?' scenarios. Same is true with cholesterol and copper IMO.

Makes sense, thxx. I think that thinking about these little things too much also creates stress

nad

Is well cooked beet's root still have the NO?
And the benefits?
I adore cooked beet in borsch and the salad w/garlic and sour cream is so delicious!
Didn't feel btw any effect except satisfaction, (may be light stool softener ?)
And Kram's info. is very 'healing' :), thanks a lot.

Sandra V

Does anyone know Haidut recommendations fro gallbladder health? purchased beet green supplement, but after viewing Roddy/Geogie interview on nitric oxide i have stopped.

ddjd

Does anyone know Haidut recommendations fro gallbladder health? purchased beet green supplement, but after viewing Roddy/Geogie interview on nitric oxide i have stopped.
supplementing vitamin d3 is really helping me.

you must take it with magnesium !! (glycinate is best imo)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals