Nine out of ten COVID-19 deaths may be due to vitamin D deficiency

haidut

Forum Supporter
A remarkable claim in this study, but not really surprising to people who have been studying the vitamin D effects on the immune system. While the study was observational, as the authors explain, the correlation between vitamin D insufficiency and COVID-19 mortality was so high that the authors do not think any other explanation is possible except that the deficiency was responsible for the lethal outcome in 9 out of 10 COVID-19 deaths. As such, most of those deaths could be prevented by simply supplementing with vitamin D, even if only while the patient is in the hospital. It is truly a travesty that in the face of so much evidence about the importance of vitamin D in COVID-19, the low risks/price of its supplementation, and the wide availability of this substance, public health authorities still insist that "the evidence is insufficient" for recommending supplementation. The situation is virtually identical to the one with aspirin. Namely, over the last century a massive amount of both observational and intervention evidence has accumulated demonstrating that aspirin may prevent and treat virtually any cancer. Instead of embracing this truly insurmountable evidence and using aspirin accordingly, public health authorities continue to lament its "unacceptable risks" in regards to GI/brain bleeding, despite evidence that aspirin actually protects precisely from such bleeding events (or at the very least cancels their lethality). Btw, aspirin has already been shown to be protective in COVID-19, and it also synergizes with vitamin D. So is/does vitamin K2, as per the first link below. Considering recent reports demonstrating that majority of Americans over 40 use aspirin or vitamin D regularly (despite their doctors' "advice"), gives some reason for optimism and suggests that the public is losing its trust in the medical establishment. One can only hope that an event like the current "pandemic" will spur even more people to take their health into their own hands instead of relying on expensive "medical" advisors whose main goal is usually to prescribe drugs, not to cure the patient. As the saying goes "Let no good crisis go to waste", but in this case it is the general public that may seize on this crisis and the medical profession may not like the results.

Study: Vitamin K2, D helps help protect those sick with COVID-19
Vitamin D Insufficiency May Account for Almost Nine of Ten COVID-19 Deaths: Time to Act. Comment on: "Vitamin D Deficiency and Outcome of COVID-19 Patients". Nutrients 2020, 12, 2757 - PubMed
"...We read, with great interest, the recent article by Radujkovic et al. that reported associations between vitamin D deficiency (25(OH)D < 12 ng/mL) or insufficiency (25(OH)D < 20 ng/mL) and death in a cohort of 185 consecutive symptomatic SARS-CoV-2-positive patients admitted to the Medical University Hospital Heidelberg, who were diagnosed and treated between 18 March and 18 June 2020 [1]. In this cohort, 118 patients (64%) had vitamin D insufficiency at recruitment (including 41 patients with vitamin D deficiency), and 16 patients died of the infection. With a covariate-adjusted relative risk of death of 11.3, mortality was much higher among vitamin D insufficient patients than among other patients. When translated to the proportion of deaths in the population that is statistically attributable to vitamin D insufficiency (“population attributable risk proportion”), a key measure of public health relevance of risk factors [2], these results imply that 87% of COVID-19 deaths may be statistically attributed to vitamin D insufficiency and could potentially be avoided by eliminating vitamin D insufficiency. Although results of an observational study, such as this one, need to be interpreted with caution, as done by the authors [1], due to the potential of residual confounding or reverse causality (i.e., vitamin D insufficiency resulting from poor health status at baseline rather than vice versa), it appears extremely unlikely that such a strong association in this prospective cohort study could be explained this way, in particular as the authors had adjusted for age, sex and comorbidity as potential confounders in their multivariate analysis.

meeka

Glad I got my family to start supplementing with vitamin D last year once COVID hit.

An interesting point that adds to your argument is that in India, white collar workers in the cities seem to have the same death rate from COVID as people in the US, but rural people have an incredibly low rate. Something on the order of 0.01%, which is the same as <25 year old in the US.

Unfortunately, I don't remember where I read this, so take these statistics with a pinch of salt, as Peat would advise anyway.

Lollipop2

Funny enough a research came out yesterday that: “Sunlight linked with lower COVID-19 deaths, study shows”

mrchibbs

Nothing new really, since last spring (2020) research has been pouring in highlighting the role of vitamin D in slashing covid mortality. There must be hundreds of articles by this point, and they're not publicized at all, because it would derail the vaccination "campaign".

It should be a public health policy target for intervention, but the policy advisers are all pharma industry affiliated and there is no real money in vitamin D supplements.

equipoise

Calcirol really helped me a month ago when I had covid. Used it 5 days in a row at doses of 20 drops (20k Iu) in belly button. Really feel it gave me an edge

Nothing new really, since last spring (2020) research has been pouring in highlighting the role of vitamin D in slashing covid mortality. There must be hundreds of articles by this point, and they're not publicized at all, because it would derail the vaccination "campaign".

It should be a public health policy target for intervention, but the policy advisers are all pharma industry affiliated and there is no real money in vitamin D supplements.
Yeah, sad state of things. The goal is profit and probably depopulation instead of improvement of people's health The policy advisers not recommending vitamin D is part of the strategy to maintain the house of cards . If people start taking it, it will solve, not only infection problems, but also other problems that they may be suffering for years, and then they may start thinking "what other vitamins could I try?". This would be a catastrophe for the medical establishment if a lot of the population did the same and realized that doctors are nearly useless, and that they simply make money off sick people.

Perry Staltic

There's got to be a correlation with obesity here. Something like 80% of mortality has occurred in people with large BMIs, and those tend to have lower vitamin D. More fat requires more vitamin D intake because most of it is stored in fat tissue. I think a study showed the body tries to maintain the fat-to-serum ratio at about 12:1.

yerrag

Funny enough a research came out yesterday that: “Sunlight linked with lower COVID-19 deaths, study shows”

Interesting.

And yet my understanding is that UVA is the harmful UV ray which causes cancer. Whaddya know, something new.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
There's got to be a correlation with obesity here. Something like 80% of mortality has occurred in people with large BMIs, and those tend to have lower vitamin D. More fat requires more vitamin D intake because most of it is stored in fat tissue. I think a study showed the body tries to maintain the fat-to-serum ratio at about 12:1.

Yep, and this tends to be true of most steroids (vitamin D also being one) and not just fat cells but all tissues - i.e. the body tries to maintain tissue/serum ratio of at least 10:1. Notable exceptions are cortisol and estrogen, as their tissue/serum ration usually does not exceed 10:1. The highest ratio of tissue/serum has been observed for pregnenolone (followed by progesterone and DHEA), which probably suggests just how important the cell considers pregnenolone to be.
"...To test cells’ tendency to take up steroids (Fig 1A) and the effects of steroid structural differences on uptake (Fig 1B), human cell lines derived from prostate, breast, and placenta were treated in vitro with nine different [3H]-labeled steroids in parallel: pregnenolone, progesterone, DHEA, Δ4-androstenedione (AD), testosterone (T), dihydrotestosterone (DHT), DHEA sulfate (DHEA-S), cortisol, and cortisone (Fig 1C–1E). Uptake of estradiol and estrone was tested in a second set of experiments, in parallel with pregnenolone and DHEA to aid in comparison to the initial set of experiments (Fig 1F–1H). Although there were minor differences between cell lines, the overall uptake trends were surprisingly consistent across the three cell lines. All tested steroids had substantially greater concentrations in the cells after 1 hour than in the culture media. Our major observation was that pregnenolone reached the highest concentrations of any steroid, with concentrations up to roughly 100 times the original treatment concentrations in the culture media, and that cells have strong preferences for 3β-OH, Δ5-steroids (i.e., pregnenolone and DHEA) vs. 3-keto, Δ4-structural features (i.e., progesterone and AD) and for progestogens vs. androgens."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Calcirol really helped me a month ago when I had covid. Used it 5 days in a row at doses of 20 drops (20k Iu) in belly button. Really feel it gave me an edge

Neat, glad it helped! I also use Calcirol when I feel like I am about to get a viral episode. Just a note from personal experience - using 4-5 drops several times a day works a lot better (for absorption) then say 10 drops twice a day. If it takes more than 10min for the liquid to absorb and the navel to dry up then the dosage is too high.

David90

Vitamin D Deficiency is a Red Flag regardless of Covid-19. I Personally use 10000 IU Daily (5000IU is Daily needed for the Body's Daily Functions)

Vitamin D Deficiency is a Red Flag regardless of Covid-19. I Personally use 10000 IU Daily (5000IU is Daily needed for the Body's Daily Functions)
I've been using 10.000 IU every day too for the past 2 or 3 weeks. Before that, I was using 10000 every other day or every two days( so between 3000 and 5000 IU per day). Last year around this month( when I wasn't using vitamin D as frequently), I had the flu, but this time, just sneezed a little here and there and didn't feel bad. My diet is a lot better too, so can't say it's the vitamin D for sure, but I'm sure it contributed a lot.

biffbelvin

I was looking up vitamin D supplementation this summer when I saw some of the discussion here about the deficiency connection with covid.

On the NHS website (I'm from UK) they state that they recommend everyone take vitamin D supplements in the winter time. I was shocked as I'd never heard of this before. You'd have thought they'd have done a public awareness campaign or something.

It's a shame we won't have data on the mortality rate during that first wave due to a lack of reliable testing. Looking back, once the cars stopped running we had incredible sunshine and heat for months. I'm guessing everyone was getting plenty of Vitamin D especially as they'll have been furloughed or working from home.

mrchibbs

Yeah, sad state of things. The goal is profit and probably depopulation instead of improvement of people's health The policy advisers not recommending vitamin D is part of the strategy to maintain the house of cards . If people start taking it, it will solve, not only infection problems, but also other problems that they may be suffering for years, and then they may start thinking "what other vitamins could I try?". This would be a catastrophe for the medical establishment if a lot of the population did the same and realized that doctors are nearly useless, and that they simply make money off sick people.
I think you're absolutely dead on.

David90

I've been using 10.000 IU every day too for the past 2 or 3 weeks. Before that, I was using 10000 every other day or every two days( so between 3000 and 5000 IU per day). Last year around this month( when I wasn't using vitamin D as frequently), I had the flu, but this time, just sneezed a little here and there and didn't feel bad. My diet is a lot better too, so can't say it's the vitamin D for sure, but I'm sure it contributed a lot.
Yes, same here. Vitamin D is a No-Brainer for Supplementation. One Study showed even a Testosterone Increase of Around 25% after taking 3300 IU's Daily for a Year. It even increases Sperm Quality and Motility.

J.R.K

A remarkable claim in this study, but not really surprising to people who have been studying the vitamin D effects on the immune system. While the study was observational, as the authors explain, the correlation between vitamin D insufficiency and COVID-19 mortality was so high that the authors do not think any other explanation is possible except that the deficiency was responsible for the lethal outcome in 9 out of 10 COVID-19 deaths. As such, most of those deaths could be prevented by simply supplementing with vitamin D, even if only while the patient is in the hospital. It is truly a travesty that in the face of so much evidence about the importance of vitamin D in COVID-19, the low risks/price of its supplementation, and the wide availability of this substance, public health authorities still insist that "the evidence is insufficient" for recommending supplementation. The situation is virtually identical to the one with aspirin. Namely, over the last century a massive amount of both observational and intervention evidence has accumulated demonstrating that aspirin may prevent and treat virtually any cancer. Instead of embracing this truly insurmountable evidence and using aspirin accordingly, public health authorities continue to lament its "unacceptable risks" in regards to GI/brain bleeding, despite evidence that aspirin actually protects precisely from such bleeding events (or at the very least cancels their lethality). Btw, aspirin has already been shown to be protective in COVID-19, and it also synergizes with vitamin D. So is/does vitamin K2, as per the first link below. Considering recent reports demonstrating that majority of Americans over 40 use aspirin or vitamin D regularly (despite their doctors' "advice"), gives some reason for optimism and suggests that the public is losing its trust in the medical establishment. One can only hope that an event like the current "pandemic" will spur even more people to take their health into their own hands instead of relying on expensive "medical" advisors whose main goal is usually to prescribe drugs, not to cure the patient. As the saying goes "Let no good crisis go to waste", but in this case it is the general public that may seize on this crisis and the medical profession may not like the results.

Study: Vitamin K2, D helps help protect those sick with COVID-19
Vitamin D Insufficiency May Account for Almost Nine of Ten COVID-19 Deaths: Time to Act. Comment on: "Vitamin D Deficiency and Outcome of COVID-19 Patients". Nutrients 2020, 12, 2757 - PubMed
"...We read, with great interest, the recent article by Radujkovic et al. that reported associations between vitamin D deficiency (25(OH)D < 12 ng/mL) or insufficiency (25(OH)D < 20 ng/mL) and death in a cohort of 185 consecutive symptomatic SARS-CoV-2-positive patients admitted to the Medical University Hospital Heidelberg, who were diagnosed and treated between 18 March and 18 June 2020 [1]. In this cohort, 118 patients (64%) had vitamin D insufficiency at recruitment (including 41 patients with vitamin D deficiency), and 16 patients died of the infection. With a covariate-adjusted relative risk of death of 11.3, mortality was much higher among vitamin D insufficient patients than among other patients. When translated to the proportion of deaths in the population that is statistically attributable to vitamin D insufficiency (“population attributable risk proportion”), a key measure of public health relevance of risk factors [2], these results imply that 87% of COVID-19 deaths may be statistically attributed to vitamin D insufficiency and could potentially be avoided by eliminating vitamin D insufficiency. Although results of an observational study, such as this one, need to be interpreted with caution, as done by the authors [1], due to the potential of residual confounding or reverse causality (i.e., vitamin D insufficiency resulting from poor health status at baseline rather than vice versa), it appears extremely unlikely that such a strong association in this prospective cohort study could be explained this way, in particular as the authors had adjusted for age, sex and comorbidity as potential confounders in their multivariate analysis.
I have read earlier on the forum about glucocorticoid steroids blocking the absorption of Vitamin D, as well as ACE inhibitors blocking the absorption of zinc. It seems ironic that people with hypertension that,”is controlled” develop a cough due to the inflammation of the entire vascular system putting pressure on the lungs, then are prescribed a glucocorticoid to control the cough.
It is my understanding that zinc and now vitamin D are important pieces in our immune system function. It seems to me that cheap and effective have no place in the medical world anymore, indeed there needs to be a better system where all options are considered, and the ones that provide the least side effects should be first on the list to try. In my humble opinion.

J.R.K

Thanks @Perry Staltic ! I have a person that I care very much for, who is on this type of drug, yet believes that the ACE inhibitor and the glucocorticoid are key to her longevity due to hypertension. Her Dr tells her to keep taking these two as they will be helpful in the event of the development of COVID-19.

Perry Staltic

Thanks @Perry Staltic ! I have a person that I care very much for, who is on this type of drug, yet believes that the ACE inhibitor and the glucocorticoid are key to her longevity due to hypertension. Her Dr tells her to keep taking these two as they will be helpful in the event of the development of COVID-19.

Tell her that she needs to be supplementing with zinc if she is not already doing so. Age is another factor that can cause decreased zinc absorption.

Angel45

People dying of cancer and they put COVID as cause of death. I'm finding this to be one of the biggest scams of covid. People who have died in car accidents are being listed as COVID deaths. I think if they were to investigate all this we might find very few died from covid. I got my antibodies test back yesterday and I am loaded with COVID antibodies. How many people are already immune and don't know it. what a disaster.