Nine Days Of Isocaloric Fructose Restriction Reduces Serum D-lactate Levels By 50%

rei

The anti-carb warrior dr. Lustig has come out with a new study demonstrating the toxicity of excess fructose. The results link the fructose metabolite methylglyoxal to liver stress, which results in insulin resistance through emergency DNL and ultimately metabolic syndrome. Methylglyoxal is 250 times more glycating than glucose.

This study also apparently supports the view that endotoxin is a key driver of metabolic syndrome, as D-lactate is produced by bacterial overgrowth while L-lactate is what humans produce. Maybe bad intestinal bacteria love to use fructose as food?

Isocaloric Fructose Restriction Reduces Serum D-Lactate Concentration in Children With Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome

Conclusion
Baseline correlation of D-lactate with DNL and measures of insulin sensitivity; and reduction in D-lactate following nine days of isocaloric fructose restriction suggest that DNL and non-enzymatic glycation are functionally linked via intermediary glycolysis in the pathogenesis of metabolic syndrome, and points to fructose as a key dietary substrate that drives both pathways.

nwo2012

The anti-carb warrior dr. Lustig has come out with a new study demonstrating the toxicity of excess fructose. The results link the fructose metabolite methylglyoxal to liver stress, which results in insulin resistance through emergency DNL and ultimately metabolic syndrome. Methylglyoxal is 250 times more glycating than glucose.

This study also apparently supports the view that endotoxin is a key driver of metabolic syndrome, as D-lactate is produced by bacterial overgrowth while L-lactate is what humans produce. Maybe bad intestinal bacteria love to use fructose as food?

Isocaloric Fructose Restriction Reduces Serum D-Lactate Concentration in Children With Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome

I think tbe group of cohorts says it all obese children with metabolic sydrome. They are already FUBAR. Context is everything. Did you read the study. Haven't had time, im sure the method will turn out to be flawed too.
What did they eat exactly, PUFA laden diet I'd guess.

CLASH

Fructose in excess of glucose is often not digested by humans. The results are not surprising. This article effectively shows that bacterial endproducts are toxic, and that fructose should be consumed with glucose. It does not show anything to the direct metabolic effects of fructose.

biffbelvin

My personal experience reinforces this. Ever since I started eating the L Reuteri Yoghurt, symptoms that one could attribute to a bacterial imbalance/endotoxin have markedly reduce.

Beforehand I would get very gassy with more than one portion of fruit. Now I can eat a lot more without that effect.

OP
R

rei

nwo2012: No, i have not looked up the fulltext. The methodology seems solid as it is direct intervention without confounding variables and strong result.

CLASH: they replaced sugar with starch, so they had the "optimal" 50/50 fructose/glucose.

somuch4food

Whenever I attempt to up my sugar intake from a mix of fruits, juices and refined sugar, I eventually crash and feel more tired. I am also highly sensitive to yogourt, it kills my energy if I eat a cup a day for a few days in a row.

Those could all be attributed to increased D-lactate.

My personal experience reinforces this. Ever since I started eating the L Reuteri Yoghurt, symptoms that one could attribute to a bacterial imbalance/endotoxin have markedly reduce.

Interesting. Do you make it yourself?

Inaut

Beforehand I would get very gassy with more than one portion of fruit. Now I can eat a lot more without that effect.

Just read your post. Do you make your own yogurt using reuteri capsules as a starter? I might try this out as it could be easy to adopt and maintain.

CLASH

@rei
As far as i can tell they didnt give the starch and fructose together. They just replaced fructose with starch. Fructose in excess of glucose seems to be an issue. Fructose in 1:1 with glucose would be ok. Glucose alone would be ok.

@somuch4food
Sounds like you have a gut issue in general. Perhaps SIBO or a dysbiotic colon?

OP
R

rei

From where did you tell it? It says replaced sugar with starch.

Nine days of dietary sugar restriction, with substitution of equal amounts of refined starch.

CLASH

@rei
Thats what I meant: They replaced replaced the sugars overall with starch, they didnt give pure starch and pure fructose together. I think this would have had a different effect as the starch would have facilitated the fructose absorption.

Prior to removing sugars what was the glucose to fructose ratio of said sugars consumed? Where they consuming high fructose corn syrup or was it pure sucrose? Considering they are are obese and have metabolic syndrome, i highly doubt they were consuming sugars from fruit or consuming sucrose based products, especially considering that the study was most likely performed with US children. Its very difficult to get sucrose based foods in the US. Furthermore, the fact that they are obese and have metabolic syndrome already indicates that they have a bacterial issue in the intestine. This is supported by the increased D-lactate.

This article is essentially saying: “by removing refined sugars from that have an excess of fructose in ratio to glucose (which humans are known to poorly digest) from the diet of children with obesity and metabolic syndrome (AKA bacterial issues in the intestine), we stopped feeding the bacterial overgrowth and the markers of said overgrowth decreased.”

somuch4food

@somuch4food
Sounds like you have a gut issue in general. Perhaps SIBO or a dysbiotic colon?

Probably, like a good percentage of the population. My symptoms are mild, but annoying. I am wary of supplements and have been tweaking diet and habits to attempt to help. The reuteri yogourt could be an interesting solution. It's not the first I've seen L. reuteri mentioned as helpful in dysbiosis. I'm not buying probiotics since I think they are way too pricey and many are subpar quality. The yogurt could be more cost effective.

@rei
Thats what I meant: They replaced replaced the sugars overall with starch, they didnt give pure starch and pure fructose together. I think this would have had a different effect as the starch would have facilitated the fructose absorption.

Prior to removing sugars what was the glucose to fructose ratio of said sugars consumed? Where they consuming high fructose corn syrup or was it pure sucrose? Considering they are are obese and have metabolic syndrome, i highly doubt they were consuming sugars from fruit or consuming sucrose based products, especially considering that the study was most likely performed with US children. Its very difficult to get sucrose based foods in the US. Furthermore, the fact that they are obese and have metabolic syndrome already indicates that they have a bacterial issue in the intestine. This is supported by the increased D-lactate.

This article is essentially saying: “by removing refined sugars from that have an excess of fructose in ratio to glucose (which humans are known to poorly digest) from the diet of children with obesity and metabolic syndrome (AKA bacterial issues in the intestine), we stopped feeding the bacterial overgrowth and the markers of said overgrowth decreased.”

While I do think sucrose is not a problem for a healthy person, I do think that too much of it can exacerbate many issues, especially if mixed with high PUFA.

CLASH

@somuch4food
I’m not neccesarily for sucrose. I just assume thats what the researchers would used for comparison. I’m more for fruit and fruit juice and maybe some tubers depending on tolerance

I recently tried probiotics, didnt have a good experience. I tried l.reuteri, among other probiotics. I used biogaia gastrus. It is a histamine producer and I did get rashes after starting to use it.

I’ve had better success using biofilm disruptors, rifaximin, nystatin, essential oils, coconut oil and a high saturated fat diet.

Kartoffel

Unfortunately, the paper isn't accessible via sci-hub, yet. On a first glimpse, it looks like a typical Lustig paper. "Just replacing sugar with starch for 5 days will make your cancer go way and increase penis size by 2 inches."

Kartoffel

Even with sci-hub, your good, old university account can sometimes be useful. The study hasn't been published in the journal,yet, but here is the manuscript

Attachments

• Fructose_D_Lactate.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

Kartoffel

Even with sci-hub, your good, old university account can sometimes be useful. The study hasn't been published in the journal,yet, but here is the manuscript

Lol, this is a typical Lustig paper. Jesus Christ, how can something like that get through peer-review?

Hugh Johnson

Weight (kg)
Day 0: 94.5 ± 25.4
Day 10: 93.4 ± 25.5
p-value:< 0.01​

1.1 kg weight loss in ten days. Already strange as it is supposed to be an isocaloric diet.

Upon their discharge from the PCRC on study day 0, participants were provided 3 days of food with instructions to return at 3-day intervals to pick up fresh food for a total duration of 9 days. On day 10, all day 0 assessments were repeated. As described previously (21), the University of California, San Francisco Clinical Research Service Bionutrition Core designed and provided individualized menus for each child after restricting sugar and fructose intake to 10% and 4% of total energy intake, respectively, by substituting an equal number of calories from refined starch to match overall proportional carbohydrate consumption in each participants’ self-reported usual diet (21).Total energy content was estimated using Institute of Medicine formulas for weight maintenance in overweight boys and girls (24) and adjusted if weight changed >2% during outpatient feeding.​

As far as I can tell, they did not just reduce the fructose, they completely replaced the diet with no regard to the previous diet the kids had.

I don't think you can make any sort of conclusions except that the university provided a healthier diet than what the kids had eaten before. Which is hardly a challenge.

Last edited:

Kartoffel

Weight (kg)
Day 0: 94.5 ± 25.4
Day 10: 93.4 ± 25.5
p-value:< 0.01​

1.1 kg weight loss in ten days. Already strange as it is supposed to be an isocaloric diet.

Upon their discharge from the PCRC on study day 0, participants were provided 3 days of food with instructions to return at 3-day intervals to pick up fresh food for a total duration of 9 days. On day 10, all day 0 assessments were repeated. As described previously (21), the University of California, San Francisco Clinical Research Service Bionutrition Core designed and provided individualized menus for each child after restricting sugar and fructose intake to 10% and 4% of total energy intake, respectively, by substituting an equal number of calories from refined starch to match overall proportional carbohydrate consumption in each participants’ self-reported usual diet (21).Total energy content was estimated using Institute of Medicine formulas for weight maintenance in overweight boys and girls (24) and adjusted if weight changed >2% during outpatient feeding.​

As far as I can tell, they did not just reduce the fructose, they completely replaced the diet with no regard to what the previous diet the kids had.

I don't think you can make any sort of conclusions except that the university provided a healthier diet than what the kids had eaten before. Which hardly a challenge.

To summarize, we don't know what they ate before and we don't know what they ate during the intervention. If this study were about anything else than sugar, this paper would have been rejected by every highschool science teacher.

Fractality

Also, I'm sure they are using industrial manufactured fructose which is not optimum. Do the study with organic pears and oranges.

Kartoffel

Also, I'm sure they are using industrial manufactured fructose which is not optimum. Do the study with organic pears and oranges.

We don't know anything about the participants diets so it doesn't make much sense to discuss it, but the reduction in lactate could easily be explained by the elimination of irritants found in candy bars and junk food.

In this study they put women on a high-fat, high-starch, or high-sucorse diet for 14 days, and there was no significant increase of lactate levels in the blood. The only way I see in which sucrose would produce significant amounts of D-lactate is when fructose is malabsorbed, and that only happens when you have free fructose unaccompanied by equal amounts of glucose. I haven't seen any study showing that sucrose, even in large amounts, in malabsorbed. Thus, any variations in lactate levels are probably the results of one of the hundreds of variables for which Lustig never controls. Why do you think that guy never even discloses what his participants diets look like?

Am J Clin Nutr. 2001 Feb;73(2):177-89.
Diurnal metabolic profiles after 14 d of an ad libitum high-starch, high-sucrose, or high-fat diet in normal-weight never-obese and postobese women.
Raben A1, Holst JJ, Madsen J, Astrup A.

upload_2019-5-23_19-55-18.png

nwo2012

nwo2012: No, i have not looked up the fulltext. The methodology seems solid as it is direct intervention without confounding variables and strong result.

CLASH: they replaced sugar with starch, so they had the "optimal" 50/50 fructose/glucose.

So going to eat some humble pie then are we?
I must be psychic, or just have a clue, knowing in advance tbat Lustig cultists are big fat liars.
Lol.