Nikethamide

mhm

Last week, Swiss athlete and doctor Kariem Hussein was positively tested for nikethamide, which is listed by the World Anti-Doping Agency as a banned substance.

The athlete explained that he had consumed a Sugus, perhaps the most popular chewy candy in Switzerland. Sugus is available outside of Switzerland, in China and Hong-Kong its brand name means "Swiss candy", apparently they are consumed during the Chinese New Year in the hope of good things to come.

The Swiss consume a lot of Sugus, people who go walk in the mountains often have some with them as an easy source of calories to carry along. When the press reported on this doping by Hussein, the population discovered there was this previously unknown magic substance in them, and sales jumped immediately.

Wikipedia says nikethamide was "Hitler's tonic" and also mentions that "it is especially useful for mountain climbers to increase endurance at high altitudes".

I'm sorry to say it appears to me that nikethamide has peaty written all over it, I especially like the wiki touch of "if you consume this you will become Hitler" nudge, which is proven by the fact that the people who consume most of it live in the most democratic country on earth.

I'm eager to hear the opinions of my fellow peatarians, especially @haidut as this seems to be right up his alley.

Andman

yeah the "i ate/drank something laced with banned substance XYZ" excuse has become standard practice for athletes getting caught doping lately. not sure if this is worth investigating

lilsticky

So it's Starburst chews? Probably good to chew on at a young age to develop a nice jawline, imo, they always made my jaw muscles sore as if i was exercising

OP
mhm

mhm

yeah the "i ate/drank something laced with banned substance XYZ" excuse has become standard practice for athletes getting caught doping lately. not sure if this is worth investigating
I share your skepticism. In that particular case, the athlete seems to also be an MD and be quite careful about avoiding substances that would eliminate him.
But a long time ago, there was a Swiss cyclist, whose IQ seemed much lower, who had blamed his high doping values on his bircher muesli, so I see where you're coming from.

OP
mhm

mhm

So it's Starburst chews? Probably good to chew on at a young age to develop a nice jawline, imo, they always made my jaw muscles sore as if i was exercising
I'm not sure they're 100% the same, but Starbust chews sure look a lot like Sugus.

Zucker

The „sugus“ Karim Hussein consumed was the over the counter remedy „Gly Coramin“. It is a popular over the counter drug in Switzerland which has nothing in common with Sugus the well loved chewy sweet, except maybe for the glucose and the square shape. Hitler is said to have been given GlyCoramin to push up his energy after taking downers. It is an anti-dote to overcome the slump after taking sedatives. My father took GlyCoramin regularly for his heart condition. I take it for a little boost of energy when my BP is low. Easy and effective in a couple of minutes. The substance in GlyCoramin is nikethinamide and until the above mentioned doping case occurred, many athletes took it for a little boost to their metabolism. Sugus the candy does not contain nikethinamide.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals