Nigella Sativa, Only PUFA I Consume With Bliss

It is probably very estrogenic.

African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology - assessing estrogenic activity of nigella sativa in ovariectomized rats using vaginal cornification assay
The aim of this study was to determine the estrogenic activity of Nigella sativa (NS) by vaginal cornification assay using an ovariectomized rat model. Forty ovariectomized Sprague Dawley rats, weighting 250 to 350 g were used in the study. N. sativa powders were administered to ovariectomized rats for 21 consecutive days at dosages of 300, 600 and 1200 mg/kg respectively, and were compared with each of daily treatment with 0.2 mg/kg conjugated Equine estrogen as positive control or distilled water as negative control. Vaginal smears were taken to observe the estrogenic effect on vaginal epithelium of rats. The vaginal smear showed an atrophic pattern at baseline. The occurrence of vaginal cornification after N. sativa supplementation indicated estrogenic activity of N. sativa, but this effect was not as much as CEE. The most influence of N. sativa in vaginal cornification was observed in low dose NS that this result was in agreement with serum Estradiol level of this group. The cornified cells percentage significantly differed from control group (P<0.05). These data suggest that N. sativapossesses estrogenic function in the ovariectomized rat model which can be helpful in managing menopausal symptoms as an alternative for Hormone Replacement Therapy.

Effect of Nigella sativa on reproductive system in experimental menopause rat model
A series of experiments was conducted to investigate the effects of different dosages of N. sativa (first experiment), various extracts of N. sativa (second experiment) and some of its ingredients (third experiment) on selected menopausal parameters of ovariectomized (OVX) rats. Forty different OVX rats were equally divided into 5 groups and administered with one of the following treatments for 21 days: conjugated equine estrogen (positive control), distilled water or olive oil (negative control), treatment groups (N. sativa300, 600 and 1200 mg/kg in the first experiment), (300mg/kg methanol, hexane and SFE extracts of N. sativa in the second experiment) and (linoleic acid 50 mg/kg, gamma linolenic acid 10mg/kg, and thymoquinone 15mg/kg in the third experiment).

Results:
The results demonstrated that N.sativa exert estrogenic effect were exhibited through uterotrophic assay and vaginal cell cornification as well as blood estrogen level. Furthermore, low dose N. sativa, methanol extract and linoleic acid had prominent estrogenic like effects which were significantly different from those of control group (p<0.05) in different experiments.

Conclusion:
The finding indicated the probable beneficial role for N. sativa in the treatment of postmenopausal symptoms and possibility of using N. sativa as an alternative to hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for post menopause in human.

Ben Stone

African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology - assessing estrogenic activity of nigella sativa in ovariectomized rats using vaginal cornification assay
The aim of this study was to determine the estrogenic activity of Nigella sativa (NS) by vaginal cornification assay using an ovariectomized rat model. Forty ovariectomized Sprague Dawley rats, weighting 250 to 350 g were used in the study. N. sativa powders were administered to ovariectomized rats for 21 consecutive days at dosages of 300, 600 and 1200 mg/kg respectively, and were compared with each of daily treatment with 0.2 mg/kg conjugated Equine estrogen as positive control or distilled water as negative control. Vaginal smears were taken to observe the estrogenic effect on vaginal epithelium of rats. The vaginal smear showed an atrophic pattern at baseline. The occurrence of vaginal cornification after N. sativa supplementation indicated estrogenic activity of N. sativa, but this effect was not as much as CEE. The most influence of N. sativa in vaginal cornification was observed in low dose NS that this result was in agreement with serum Estradiol level of this group. The cornified cells percentage significantly differed from control group (P<0.05). These data suggest that N. sativapossesses estrogenic function in the ovariectomized rat model which can be helpful in managing menopausal symptoms as an alternative for Hormone Replacement Therapy.

Effect of Nigella sativa on reproductive system in experimental menopause rat model
A series of experiments was conducted to investigate the effects of different dosages of N. sativa (first experiment), various extracts of N. sativa (second experiment) and some of its ingredients (third experiment) on selected menopausal parameters of ovariectomized (OVX) rats. Forty different OVX rats were equally divided into 5 groups and administered with one of the following treatments for 21 days: conjugated equine estrogen (positive control), distilled water or olive oil (negative control), treatment groups (N. sativa300, 600 and 1200 mg/kg in the first experiment), (300mg/kg methanol, hexane and SFE extracts of N. sativa in the second experiment) and (linoleic acid 50 mg/kg, gamma linolenic acid 10mg/kg, and thymoquinone 15mg/kg in the third experiment).

Results:
The results demonstrated that N.sativa exert estrogenic effect were exhibited through uterotrophic assay and vaginal cell cornification as well as blood estrogen level. Furthermore, low dose N. sativa, methanol extract and linoleic acid had prominent estrogenic like effects which were significantly different from those of control group (p<0.05) in different experiments.

Conclusion:
The finding indicated the probable beneficial role for N. sativa in the treatment of postmenopausal symptoms and possibility of using N. sativa as an alternative to hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for post menopause in human.
That seems concerning. Would you avoid on this basis?

That seems concerning. Would you avoid on this basis?

it seems obvious that it is very estrogenic based upon these and other experiments. I would use it if I needed to for a serious problem.

I suspect that thymoquinone may be better.

stackz07

Results:

Could it just be the linoleic acid here?

Korven

My hands and feet feel warmer since adding in 1-2 grams black cumin seeds per day. Also notice less nasal congestion and it feels easier to breathe. I want to get bloodwork done later to see if this can help push down my TSH to below 1.

Thymoquinone is a very interesting compound: Thymoquinone: an emerging natural drug with a wide range of medical applications, Thymoquinone therapy remediates elevated brain tissue inflammatory mediators induced by chronic administration of food preservatives | Scientific Reports.

"In conclusion, thymoquinone remediates sodium nitrite-induced brain impairment through several mechanisms including attenuation of oxidative stress, retrieving the reduced concentration of glutathione, blocks elevated levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines, restores cytochrome c oxidase activity, and reducing the apoptosis markers in the brain tissues of rats."

rei

This company claims to have the strongest black seed oil on the market, plus they sell seeds and other products. I have used the 'strong' oil, and you can tell it is potent when you taste it, although I have not yet tried their 'extra strong' oil.
Black Seed Oil - Four Different Strengths - FREE Shipping Worldwide!
I have used their strong version (back when they only had 2 versions available) and it tastes horrible but has some interesting effects, both stimulating and relaxing, and weird tingling in the body occasionally depending on dose and situation. It's so long ago i don't remember more details. I did not find it worth buying again.

Now i think it should maybe be approached like a medicine. Use it for specific needs, not continuously as a supplement. Maybe i should order a small bottle again and perhaps learn what those beneficial situations are, back when i used it i was not yet at such a understanding to think like this.

Last edited:
I used to take this 'supplement' years ago but it just fell off my radar for some reason. I remember it fondly and it's very cost effective. Gonna have to pick some up again.
Edit: or maybe not actually

Last edited:

L_C

My hands and feet feel warmer since adding in 1-2 grams black cumin seeds per day. Also notice less nasal congestion and it feels easier to breathe. I want to get bloodwork done later to see if this can help push down my TSH to below 1.

Thymoquinone is a very interesting compound: Thymoquinone: an emerging natural drug with a wide range of medical applications, Thymoquinone therapy remediates elevated brain tissue inflammatory mediators induced by chronic administration of food preservatives | Scientific Reports.

"In conclusion, thymoquinone remediates sodium nitrite-induced brain impairment through several mechanisms including attenuation of oxidative stress, retrieving the reduced concentration of glutathione, blocks elevated levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines, restores cytochrome c oxidase activity, and reducing the apoptosis markers in the brain tissues of rats."

Hi,

Did you get the bloodwork done? Did your TSH went lower since you have added cumin seeds to your regimen?

Korven

Hi,

Did you get the bloodwork done? Did your TSH went lower since you have added cumin seeds to your regimen?

Oh I'd totally forgotten about this.

I got blood work done in February this year and my TSH did actually drop from above 2 (can't remember exactly) to 0.7. However I was not consistently taking the black cumin seeds + I introduced a bunch of other supplements, changed diets etc, so difficult to say what helped the most.

Still like the effects though and take them occasionally.

Ismail

Oh I'd totally forgotten about this.

I got blood work done in February this year and my TSH did actually drop from above 2 (can't remember exactly) to 0.7. However I was not consistently taking the black cumin seeds + I introduced a bunch of other supplements, changed diets etc, so difficult to say what helped the most.

Still like the effects though and take them occasionally.
Wow! That’s quite a drop! ? ?

What other supplements did you introduce?

Sefton10

I got some 3.7% thermoquinone black seed oil, not ingested any yet as it’s obviously very high in PUFA, but rubbed inside the nostrils it’s great for opening up the sinuses.

Jam

I've been using 1/2 a teaspoon of the 6.3% Blessed Seed extra strong oil, definite increase in overall cognitive abilities so far.

JacobG

Black seed oil is quite a strong antibiotic. That may explain most of the positive effects.

Dr. B

I used Life Extension’s black seed oil (Thymocid) in the past and it is one of the most potent supplement I’ve ever used. It abolished my social anxiety and gave me ‘silver tongue’ in social situations, no brain fog and I felt great. It also improved my sleep immensely.

I researched a lot about its effects but it does so much in the body it’s hard to pin point exactly why it was so effective

I don’t take it anymore but it’s still in my stash, might look into it again and see how I respond now
This company claims to have the strongest black seed oil on the market, plus they sell seeds and other products. I have used the 'strong' oil, and you can tell it is potent when you taste it, although I have not yet tried their 'extra strong' oil.
Black Seed Oil - Four Different Strengths - FREE Shipping Worldwide!
has anyone compared the life extension brand to the blessed seeds strongest black seed oil?
theblessed seed claim to have much higher thymoquinone in their oils compared to life extensions. im not sure how they do this, they claim its just the seeds they select are stronger and have more thymoquinone and other compounds.
life extensions brand has a negative review on amazon claiming bloating and other odd symptoms but i wonder if it's not so reliable especially as you cant see reviews fortheblessed seed unless its online forums
life extensions thymocid is organic black seed oil, and capsule isjust pure beef gelatin, no fillers. so on that standpoint it seems better, safer.
did you use just one capsule of the life extension oil? 500mg?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals