Nigella Sativa (Black Seed) Consistently Is Beneficial For Thyroid Function

CreakyJoints

I know these kinds of observations are generally unhelpful, but: I tried ~5 gram doses of these seeds, crushed up in a pestle and mortar and chased with orange juice or milk every day for a few weeks - I noticed increased heart rate and increased appetite, but strong palpitations if I hadn't eaten enough food in the day. I wasn't sure what to conclude. I think I felt better on it (as utterly useless as that is for everyone here), and certainly by dint of the palpitations it was encouraging me to eat more, but having run out of them recently I've decided not to replenish my supply just yet. I am a smoker (soon to quit), which I believe might affect the effect it has on me.

The funny thing is most middle eastern countries use this as a sprinkle over baked goods like sesame on burger buns in the west.

There was a study about it being used in bread in Iran. I can't find it again for some reason, and I'm not sure I thought much of their methods, but they concluded it did nothing appreciable when added to bread as opposed to eating bread without any. I suspect they did not reach the 10 gram therapeutic dose in the other study posted - that's quite a lot of seeds to have at once, I think that might cover a whole loaf. One might argue that it being added to bread is the thing offsetting any positive effects anyway.

I am but a layperson, and this is even more impenetrable for me than a lot of the stuff I see here - could you please explain why you think this isnt a good good , ? So it has anti-inflammatory properties, but somehow prevents anti-inflammatory effects? I don't even understand what "taken together" means in this context, what is the additional thing being "taken" - N-acetyl cysteine?

Trying to discover NRF-2's significance was equally confusing for me, the layperson; it rather reminded me of some of the discussions seen about C60, where some people have concluded there has to be a tradeoff between longevity and susceptibility to cancer, but honestly I understand very little of those discussions too, so I'm not sure if there really is a parallel or I'm just trying to see something familiar in it.

"[...] pharmacological activation of NRF2 is a promising therapeutic approach for several chronic diseases that are underlined by oxidative stress and inflammation, such as neurodegenerative, cardiovascular, and metabolic diseases. A particular case is cancer, where NRF2 confers a survival advantage to constituted tumors, and therefore, NRF2 inhibition is desired."

Is the link you posted more about NRF-2 than it is about TQ? I apologise for my ignorance!

(EDIT: terrible formatting - sadly, still terrible)

Mauritio

I know it isn’t very “Peaty” here because it contains PUFAs. Yet, the phytonutrients in this seed more than make up for it by strongly protecting against oxidative stress, lipid peroxidation, and assisting energy production. The main ingredient seems to be thymoquinone, a quinone obviously, but the whole seed usually works better than this single compound.

In this post though, I’m just going to post studies as it relates to thyroid hormone / function, because there are plenty. (Keep in mind, most of the human studies just used the ground seeds at 1g x 2 a day, but the most effective case series (image below) used 5g x 2 a day.

—————————————————
http://ijrar.org/papers/IJRAR1944176.pdf
Effect of Safoof-e-kalonji (Nigella sativa) in the Managament of Subclinical Hypothyroidism

(Pre / Post values taken about a month apart) 10g total per day, seeds
View attachment 17540

—————————————————

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/310468405_The_effects_of_Nigella_sativa_on_thyroid_function_serum_Vascular_Endothelial_Growth_Factor_VEGF_-_1_Nesfatin-1_and_anthropometric_features_in_patients_with_Hashimoto's_thyroiditis_A_randomized_control

The effects of Nigella sativa on thyroid function, serum Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF) - 1, Nesfatin-1 and anthropometric features in patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis: A randomized controlled trial

2g total per day, seed
View attachment 17541

———————————————

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/297750663_Nigella_Sativa_treatment_and_serum_concentrations_of_thyroid_hormones_transforming_growth_factor_b_TGF-b_and_interleukin_23_IL-23_in_patients_with_Hashimoto's_Thyroiditis

Nigella Sativa treatment and serum concentrations of thyroid hormones, transforming growth factor β (TGF-β) and interleukin 23 (IL-23) in patients with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis

2g total per day, seed
View attachment 17542

———————————————————-

Effects of Nigella sativa L. Seed Extract on Fatigue, Blood Biochemical Parameters and Thyroid Function in Male Mice

Rodent study. Hydroalcoholic extract, so much higher human-equivalent doses than used in the human studies (doses listed below the table, highest dose would equal 2.8g of this “extract” for a large 91kg human.
View attachment 17543

————————————————-

Here’s a couple more:
- Can nigella sativa oil (nso) reverse hypothyroid status induced by PTU in rat? biochemical and histological studies | Request PDF

Can nigella sativa oil (nso) reverse hypothyroid status induced by PTU in rat? biochemical and histological studies
- Effects of Nigella sativa L. on serum concentrations of thyroid hormones, thyroid stimulating hormone and glucose in alloxan-induced diabetic rabbits | Request PDF

Effects of Nigella sativa L. on serum concentrations of thyroid hormones, thyroid stimulating hormone and glucose in alloxan-induced diabetic rabbits

- Study the effect of Nigella Sativa on thyroid function and reproductive hormone of female rat | Journal of Contemporary Medical Sciences

“Twelve females rats were used and divided randomly into two groups (6 animals for each) first group served as treatment and gave Nigella sativa oil (1ml /kg BW/day ) orally according to body weight for a period of 30 consecutive days. While other group drenched with normal saline at same dose that above mentioned and served as control.Results The result revealed significant increase in levels of LH, Estrogen T3 and T4 and significant decrease in level of TSH. Histological sections of thyroid gland revealed presence vaculation in colloid of thyroid follicle.Conclusion In conclusion, the Nigella sativa oil caused the elevation of thyroid hormones as well as LH and estrogen but still within normal value.”

Discussion: “Thyroid gland of female rats treated with Ns showed no histological changes when compare with the control except that some of the follicles were enlarged and containing vacuolated colloid as appear from Figure 2. This might be attributed to increased endocytotic activity of many follicular cells reflecting a compensatory mechanism to the augmented release of the stored hormones in the follicular lumen.”

- THE PROTECTIVE ROLE OF NIGELLA SATIVA OIL (NSO) AGAINST THYROID ULTRASTRUCTURAL CHANGES INDUCED BY EXPOSURE TO DI (2-ETHYLHEXYL) PHTHALATE (DEHP) | Request PDF

THE PROTECTIVE ROLE OF NIGELLA SATIVA OIL (NSO) AGAINST THYROID ULTRASTRUCTURAL CHANGES INDUCED BY EXPOSURE TO DI (2-ETHYLHEXYL) PHTHALATE (DEHP)

- [PDF] Efficacy of Nigella sativa on serum free testosterone and metabolic disturbances in central obese male. | Semantic Scholar (Human study)

Lastly, this one isn’t thyroid-related, but this before and after treatment chart is just kinda insane.
(750mg x 2 a day, seed)

View attachment 17544
Good research ! Are you still talking this ?

Well I can’t imagine being on Thyroid for a while or even for a lifetime, I can’t really imagine being on an herb that long. There are just too many issues with that. It’s fine for occasional use or for short intervals but I can’t imagine relying on an herb for the duration. I can however easily imagine using intelligent T4 or T3 supplementation.

Mauritio

Well I can’t imagine being on Thyroid for a while or even for a lifetime, I can’t really imagine being on an herb that long. There are just too many issues with that. It’s fine for occasional use or for short intervals but I can’t imagine relying on an herb for the duration. I can however easily imagine using intelligent T4 or T3 supplementation.
No one says you have to rely on it . It even if you did I dont see problem with it .

FitnessMike

There is 1.5 g max of total fat in 5g of ground seeds. I just feel like focusing on the PUFAs in this situation is missing the forest for the trees.
HI, any succes?

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

HI, any succes?
It was part of my mix that increased my T3 to its highest ever levels and reduced TSH to its lowest. Not perfect yet, but moving in the right direction for sure

FitnessMike

It was part of my mix that increased my T3 to its highest ever levels and reduced TSH to its lowest. Not perfect yet, but moving in the right direction for sure
would you share your mix please?

Ismail

Conclusion:​

These results demonstrated that feeding of rat dams with NS extract before mating has positive protective effects on progenies. These effects may be due to antioxidant properties of NS in reducing oxidative stress and thyroid damages induced by PTU.
Keywords: Hypothyroid, Nigella sativa, progeny, propylthiouracil, rat dams”

B

Braveheart

Zarrin77....thanks for this thread...just discovered the wonders of Nigella Sativa...using it for my daughters H-Pylori...noticed it use for Covid also.

CuriousKay

@zarrin77 Can the oil be taken simultaneously as T3 and T4 medication (Cynomel & Levothyroxine)?

Do you use blood testing to determine when you’re done taking it or use HR and temps, or both?

Does one stop cold turkey if one’s labs show desired results?

Waynish

Indeed, despite the PUFAs, which is yes another demonstration that doubling down in molecular causality for basically all Peat-related discussion is missing the forest for the trees.

Ismail

All my thyroid markers improved while on it, and returned to previous levels after stopping it.
Is it fair to assume you’re back to taking it?

If so, are you taking the oil or the whole seeds? Dose?

Thank you 🙏

Beatrix_

Is it fair to assume you’re back to taking it?

If so, are you taking the oil or the whole seeds? Dose?

Thank you 🙏
I will resume it tomorrow lol

I take the oi, I was taking 3 drops every other day and did labs 2 months in

Anti-TPO from 11 to undetectable
Anti-TG down by 20%

Dr. B

The funny thing is most middle eastern countries use this as a sprinkle over baked goods like sesame on burger buns in the west.
Random thing but they do have the capital grille line of restaurants here in the states… they also released capital burger line of restaurants. Its not organic or grass fed but supposedly higher quality burger meat like steak meat perhaps angus beef. Their burger bun’s actually have black seeds on them instead of sesame seeds! Although i dont know if its nigella sativa as I believe theres another common black seed used as a topping maybe black caraway seeds or something?