Nietzsche As Biological Visionary?

Dopamine

Nietzsche on Learned Helplessness and Depression:

"If there are any drawbacks to being sick and weak, it is that these states wear down the true instinct for healing, which is the human instinct for weapons and war. You do not know how to get rid of anything, you do not know how to get over anything, you do not know how to push anything back, - everything hurts. People and things become obtrusive, events cut too deep, memory is a festering wound. Sickness is itself a kind of ressentiment. - The sick person has only one great remedy for this - I call it Russian fatalism, the fatalism without revolt that you find when a military campaign becomes too difficult and the Russian soldier finally lies down in the snow. Not taking anything else on or in, not reacting at all any more . . . The excellent reasoning behind this fatalism, which is not always just courage in the face of death, but can preserve life under the most dangerous circumstances, is that it reduces the metabolism, slows it down, a type of will to hibernation. Taking this logic a few steps further, you have the fakir who sleeps for weeks in a grave . . .Since any sort of reaction wears you out too quickly, you do not react at all: this is the reasoning. And nothing burns you up more quickly than the affects of ressentiment. Annoyance, abnormal vulnerability, inability to take revenge, the desire, the thirst for revenge, every type of poisoning - these are definitely the most harmful ways for exhausted people to react: they inevitably lead to a rapid consumption of nervous energy and a pathological increase in harmful excretions, of bile into the stomach, for instance. Ressentiment should be what is forbidden most rigorously for people who are sick - it is their great evil: and unfortunately their most natural tendency as well."

"The higher man is distinguished from the lower by his fearlessness and his readiness to challenge misfortune: it is a sign of degeneration when eudaemonistic valuations begin to prevail (-physiological fatigue, feebleness of will-)."

"The normal dissatisfaction of our drives, e.g., hunger, the sexual drive, the drive to motion, contains in it absolutely nothing depressing; it works rather as an agitation of the feeling of life, as every rhythm of small, painful stimuli strengthens it, (whatever pessimists may say). This dissatisfaction, instead of making one disgusted with life, is the great stimulus to life."

Nietzsche on Nutrition/Health/Biology:

"It is improbable that our "knowledge" should extend further than is strictly necessary for the preservation of life. Morphology shows us how the senses and the nerves, as well as the brain, develop in proportion to the difficulty of finding nourishment."

"Another question interests me in a much different way: the question of nutrition; the 'salvation of humanity' is much more dependent on this question than on any theological oddity. We can formulate it in rough and ready terms: 'what do you yourself eat in order to achieve the maximum of strength, of virtu in the style of the Renaissance, of moraline-free virtue?..."

"What, after all, is "useful"? One must ask "useful in relation to what?" E.g., that which is useful for the long life of the individual might be unfavorable to its strength and splendor; that which preserves the individual might at the same time arrest and halt its evolution. On the other hand, a deficiency, a degeneration, can be of the highest utility in so far as it acts as a stimulant to other organs. In the same way, a state of need can be a condition of existence, in so far as it reduces an individual to that measure of expenditure which holds it together but prevents it from squandering itself.- The individual itself as a struggle between parts (for food, space, etc.) : its evolution tied to the victory or predominance of individual parts, to an atrophy, a "becoming an organ" of other parts."

"Genius depends on dry air, on clear skies-that is, on a rapid metabolism, on the possibility of drawing again and again on great, even tremendous quantities of strength."

"The influence of climate on our metabolism, its retardation, its acceleration, goes so far that a mistaken choice of place and climate can not only estrange a man from his task but can actually keep it from him: he never gets to see it. His animal vigor has never become great enough for him to attain that freedom which overflows into the most spiritual regions and allows one to recognize: this only I can do."

"But German cooking in general - what doesn't it have on its conscience! Soup before the meal, overcooked meats, vegetables cooked with fat and flour; the degeneration of starchy foods into paperweights! Just add to this the almost brutal post-prandial drinking habits of the ancient, but by no means only the ancient, Germans, and you will also understand the origin of German spirit - from depressive intestines . . . German spirit is indigestion, it is never through with anything."

"The slightest sluggishness of the intestines is entirely sufficient, once it has become a bad habit, to tum a genius into something mediocre, something "German."

"I cannot recommend seriously enough that all spiritual natures give up alcohol entirely."

"Essential: to start from the body and employ it as guide. It is the much richer phenomenon, which allows of clearer observation. Belief in the body is better established than belief in the spirit."

"More and more decisively the question concerning the health of the body is put ahead of that of "the soul": the latter being understood as a state consequent upon the former, and the former at the very least as a precondition of the health of the soul."

"The entire conscious life, the spirit along with the soul, the heart, goodness, and virtue-in whose service do they labor? In the service of the greatest possible perfection of the means (means of nourishment, means of enhancement) of the basic animal functions: above all, the enhancement of life."

"Put briefly: perhaps the entire evolution of the spirit is a question of the body; it ·is the history of the development of a higher body that emerges into our sensibility. The organic is rising to yet higher levels. Our lust for knowledge of nature is a means through which the body desires to perfect itself. Or rather: hundreds of thousands of experiments are made to change the nourishment, the mode of living and of dwelling of the body; consciousness and evaluations in the body, all kinds of pleasure and displeasure, are signs of these changes and experiments. In the long run, it is not a question of man at all: he is to be overcome."

"Not "mankind" but overman is the goal"

"A little health now and again is the ailing person’s best remedy."

"Today we no longer know how to separate moral and physiological degeneration: the former is merely a symptom-complex of the latter; one is necessarily bad, just as one is necessarily ill. Bad: here the word expresses a certain incapacity associated physiologically with the degenerating type: e.g., weakness of will, insecure and even multiple "personality," inability to resist reacting to a stimulus and to "control" oneself, constraint before every kind of suggestion from the will of another. Vice is not a cause; vice is a consequence- Vice is a somewhat arbitrarily limited concept designed to express in one word certain consequences of physiological degeneration. A universal proposition such as Christianity teaches-"Man is evil"-would be justified if one were justified in taking the degenerate type as the normal type of man. But perhaps this is an exaggeration. To be sure, the proposition is correct wherever Christianity prospers and stays on top: for that demonstrates a morbid soil, a field for degeneration."

"My attempt to understand moral judgments as symptoms and sign languages which betray the processes of physiological prosperity or failure"

"Egoism is of as much value as the physiological value of him who possesses it. Every individual consists of the whole course of evolution (and not, as morality imagines, only of something that begins at birth). If he represents the ascending course of mankind, then his value is in fact extraordinary; and extreme care may be taken over the preservation and promotion of his development. (It is concern for the future promised him that gives the well-constituted individual such an extraordinary right to egoism.) If he represents the descending course, decay, chronic sickening, then he has little value: and the first demand of fairness is for him to take as little space, force, and sunshine as possible away from the well constituted. In this case, it is the task of society to suppress egoism (-which sometimes expresses itself in absurd, morbid and rebel-
lious ways), whether it be a question of individuals or of whole decaying and atrophying classes of people. A doctrine and religion of "love," of suppression of self affirmation, of patience, endurance, helpfulness, of cooperation in word and deed, can be of the highest value within such classes, even from the point of view of the rulers: for it suppresses feelings of rivalry, of ressentiment, of envy -the all too natural feelings of the underprivileged-it even deifies a life of slavery, subjection, poverty, sickness, and inferiority for them under the ideal of humility and obedience. This explains why the ruling classes (or races) and individuals have at all times upheld the cult of selflessness, the gospel of the lowly, the "God on the cross."

ilikecats

Do you have any recommendations for someone who's interested reading his work? Sadly I've only read excerpts so far...

OP
Dopamine

Dopamine

Do you have any recommendations for someone who's interested reading his work? Sadly I've only read excerpts so far...

You should read "ECCE HOMO" that is where I pulled a lot of these quotes from. It reads more like a biology text than a philosophy text in my opinion. He talks a lot about nutrition and metabolism and instantly reminded me of Ray Peat. Also book 3 of "Will to Power" part II: "The Will to Power in Nature." Also "The Despisers of the Body" from Zarathustra.

If you really want to get into his work I would read a biography on him. Once you understand that he was a very physically ill man tormented by his deteriorating health and highly aware of the relationship between his body and mind- all his work makes more sense. He was just as much a psychologist as a philosopher and actually greatly influenced modern psychology.

"It was during the years of my lowest vitality that I ceased to be a pessimist. The instinct of self-restoration forbade me a philosophy of poverty and discouragement. As it were, that is how those years appear to me now. I soon discovered life anew…including myself. I turned my will to health, to life, into a philosophy ... into the will to power.”

"What is happiness? - The feeling that power is growing, that some resistance has been overcome."

By power he means physiologically an increase in dopamine I think which is our primary reward neurotransmitter. We receive dopamine when we overcome obstacles/resistance. It is what motivates us and drives us. Dopamine wasn't discovered back then but he had an intuitive knowledge of what was going on. "Power" is a pervasive idea in his philosophy and stands in contrast to "helplessness" which is a high serotonin state. So much genius.

Last edited:
OP
Dopamine

Dopamine

Some controversial ones:

On Abstinence:
"The reabsorption of semen by the blood is the strongest nourishment and, perhaps more than any other factor, it prompts the stimulus of power, the unrest of all forces toward the overcoming of resistances, the thirst for contradiction and resistance. The feeling of power has so far mounted highest in abstinent priests and hermits (for example, amoung the Brahmans)."

On Starch Based Diets:
"A diet that consists predominantly of rice leads to the use of opium and narcotics, just as a diet that consists predominantly of potatoes leads to the use of alcohol. But it also has subtler effects that include ways of thinking and feeling that have narcotic effects. This agrees with the fact that those who promote narcotic ways of thinking and feeling, like some Indian Gurus, promote a diet that is entirely vegetarian and would like to impose that as a law upon the masses. In this way they want to create and strengthen a need that they are in a position to satisfy."

Pointless

Nietzsche on stress?

"What they would like to strive for with all their powers is the universal green-pasture happiness of the herd, with security, lack of danger, comfort, and an easier life for everyone; the two songs and doctrines which they repeat most often are "equality of rights" and "sympathy for all that suffers"—and suffering itself they take for something that must beabolished. We opposite men, having opened an eye and a conscience to the question where and how the plant "man" has so far grown most vigorously to a height, we think that this has happened every time under the opposite conditions, that to this end the dangerousness of his situation must first grow to the point of enormity, his power of invention and disguise (his "spirit"—) had to develop under prolonged pressure and constraint into refinement and audacity, his life-will had to be enhanced into an unconditional power-will:—we think that hardness, violence, slavery, danger in the alley and the heart, life in hiding [Verborgenheit], stoicism, the art of the tempter [Versucherkunst] and devilry of every kind, that everything evil, terrible, tyrannical, like beasts of prey and snake-like in man serves the enhancement of the species "man" as much as its opposite does:"

"Today we no longer know how to separate moral and physiological degeneration: the former is merely a symptom-complex of the latter; one is necessarily bad, just as one is necessarily ill. Bad: here the word expresses a certain incapacity associated physiologically with the degenerating type: e.g., weakness of will, insecure and even multiple "personality," inability to resist reacting to a stimulus and to "control" oneself, constraint before every kind of suggestion from the will of another. Vice is not a cause; vice is a consequence- Vice is a somewhat arbitrarily limited concept designed to express in one word certain consequences of physiological degeneration. A universal proposition such as Christianity teaches-"Man is evil"-would be justified if one were justified in taking the degenerate type as the normal type of man. But perhaps this is an exaggeration. To be sure, the proposition is correct wherever Christianity prospers and stays on top: for that demonstrates a morbid soil, a field for degeneration."

This I disagree with. I see kindness and love as noble traits.

jaguar43

there is a study in which Ray Peat cites in Mind and Tissue, which describes Nietzsche very well in my opinion.

The attempt on the part of the psychoanalysts to demonstrate that human impulses are bestial in nature cannot claim originality. The father of these man-hating views is Nietzsche. In thus Spake Zarathustra, the immoral essence of man is proclaimed. (18) We cite several characteristic aphorisms: "The earth has a skin, and the skin has sores. One of these sores is called man" (p. 181). "To him who is ridden by a devil, I will whisper this in his ear: you will do better if you make your devil grow bigger" (p.120). One must ignore the "rabble" who "babble in your ear about the folk and the peoples" (p,293); one must love peace "as a means to new wars" (p, 61). It is affirmed, by Zarathustra's words, that everything is permitted to the chosen, that it is necessary to overcome "the luck of the majority" (pp. 365, 367), and that compassion is shameful (pp. 365, 120).
- Freudianism, Microsociology, and Existentialism page 49

The difference between the Nietzschean apology for the devil principle in man and similar assertions by the Freudians and their fellow-travelerslies in the fact that Nietzsche seeks to liberate the bestial in man and lauds this in the name of enslavement of the weak by the strong (p. 293). He glorifies wars, cruelty, and affirms the right to trample on moral principles and to drive out the voice of conscience. - Freudianism, Microsociology, and Existentialism page 50

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.2753/RPO1061-0405040145

I agree with this statement. Nietzsche was no biological visionary. He was a psychopath who glorified the worst parts of society.

Last edited:

Regina

Nietzsche on stress?

"What they would like to strive for with all their powers is the universal green-pasture happiness of the herd, with security, lack of danger, comfort, and an easier life for everyone; the two songs and doctrines which they repeat most often are "equality of rights" and "sympathy for all that suffers"—and suffering itself they take for something that must beabolished. We opposite men, having opened an eye and a conscience to the question where and how the plant "man" has so far grown most vigorously to a height, we think that this has happened every time under the opposite conditions, that to this end the dangerousness of his situation must first grow to the point of enormity, his power of invention and disguise (his "spirit"—) had to develop under prolonged pressure and constraint into refinement and audacity, his life-will had to be enhanced into an unconditional power-will:—we think that hardness, violence, slavery, danger in the alley and the heart, life in hiding [Verborgenheit], stoicism, the art of the tempter [Versucherkunst] and devilry of every kind, that everything evil, terrible, tyrannical, like beasts of prey and snake-like in man serves the enhancement of the species "man" as much as its opposite does:"

This I disagree with. I see kindness and love as noble traits.

Flower in the crannied wall
1863 poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Flower in the crannied wall,
I pluck you out of the crannies,
I hold you here, root and all, in my hand,
Little flower—but if I could understand
What you are, root and all, and all in all,
I should know what God and man is.

DaveFoster

Nietzsche was pretty much right on everything; extremely high IQ individual with such introspection that it prompted insanity.

If you think Nietzsche verified violence as an ideal, then you don't understand at least Beyond Good and Evil; his ideas center around violence as a reactionary force from the strong to the weak. The weak are violent; they must use violence to control their surroundings and subdue the strong. The strong need not violence, they are whole and well.

Nietzsche's philosophy was a breaking respone to the lies of religion; a structure where the weak try to subdue the strong through codified servitude. It likely would have came much sooner if the Church did not suppress dissent so harshly. With the advent of the nation-state, the Church became obsolete, and the same things Nietzsche criticizes about the priests of the past can be applied to the politicians and politically active individuals of the present.

Some controversial ones:

On Abstinence:
"The reabsorption of semen by the blood is the strongest nourishment and, perhaps more than any other factor, it prompts the stimulus of power, the unrest of all forces toward the overcoming of resistances, the thirst for contradiction and resistance. The feeling of power has so far mounted highest in abstinent priests and hermits (for example, amoung the Brahmans)."

On Starch Based Diets:
"A diet that consists predominantly of rice leads to the use of opium and narcotics, just as a diet that consists predominantly of potatoes leads to the use of alcohol. But it also has subtler effects that include ways of thinking and feeling that have narcotic effects. This agrees with the fact that those who promote narcotic ways of thinking and feeling, like some Indian Gurus, promote a diet that is entirely vegetarian and would like to impose that as a law upon the masses. In this way they want to create and strengthen a need that they are in a position to satisfy."
I'd think especially the latter would be accepted in Peat circles, judging by the level of biological determinism around here, to which I subscribe.

Nietzsche saw man for what he was: transient. His super-man is the next stage. Ze Übermensch.

Last edited:

tara

I agree with this statement. Nietzsche was no biological visionary. He was a psychopath who glorified the worst parts of society.
+1

jaguar43

Nietzsche was pretty much right on everything; extremely high IQ individual with such introspection that it prompted insanity.

That argument is weak, it doesn't take away from what he actually said. Ray Peat is very clear on what he thinks of Nietzsche.

Blake’s idea of the “intellectual fountain” was very different from the attitude of Schopenhauer and Nietzsche (where “Will” or assertion was the fundamental reality). Blake saw it as always flowing into new territory, discovering new things, enlivening the world that’s being discovered-created. When the organism is traumatized, it hardens, and stops developing, and wants to impose its moral hardness everywhere; assertiveness is the antithesis of perceptive life, and devises ways to negate it. - Ray Peat

Negation | Vision and Acceptance

Regina

there is a study in which Ray Peat cites in Mind and Tissue, which describes Nietzsche very well in my opinion.

The attempt on the part of the psychoanalysts to demonstrate that human impulses are bestial in nature cannot claim originality. The father of these man-hating views is Nietzsche. In thus Spake Zarathustra, the immoral essence of man is proclaimed. (18) We cite several characteristic aphorisms: "The earth has a skin, and the skin has sores. One of these sores is called man" (p. 181). "To him who is ridden by a devil, I will whisper this in his ear: you will do better if you make your devil grow bigger" (p.120). One must ignore the "rabble" who "babble in your ear about the folk and the peoples" (p,293); one must love peace "as a means to new wars" (p, 61). It is affirmed, by Zarathustra's words, that everything is permitted to the chosen, that it is necessary to overcome "the luck of the majority" (pp. 365, 367), and that compassion is shameful (pp. 365, 120).
- Freudianism, Microsociology, and Existentialism page 49

The difference between the Nietzschean apology for the devil principle in man and similar assertions by the Freudians and their fellow-travelerslies in the fact that Nietzsche seeks to liberate the bestial in man and lauds this in the name of enslavement of the weak by the strong (p. 293). He glorifies wars, cruelty, and affirms the right to trample on moral principles and to drive out the voice of conscience. - Freudianism, Microsociology, and Existentialism page 50

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.2753/RPO1061-0405040145

Dear oh dear. Once again. Nietzsche is quoted entirely out of context. Half the time his tongue is jammed in his cheek. He was a hoot. Do you read his actual works or only re-interpretations that suit a reviewer's agenda? Because most of his manuscripts were already altered before publication, it's really hard to know. But he certainly was pointing to the problem of dualistic thinking.

DaveFoster

assertiveness is the antithesis of perceptive life, and devises ways to negate it.
Funny, because this what Dr. Peat said to me in an e-mail:

My question is this: Do you believe an activation of intention and focus to be beneficial or stressful? Also, I just started attending a local Mormon church, as I enjoy their dedication to their faith. What is your view of religion? I know you're against authoritarianism, but do you view spirituality as a natural result of a healthy metabolic state, or a pre-requisite?

I think intention and focus are restorative rather than stressful. The direction our culture is going is creating an epidemic of depression, as people experience their inability to live creatively, meaningfully. Although I don’t agree with their general political views, the Mormons, among themselves, have a culture of mutual support that I think is psychologically good, and protects them from the harmful ideology of the surrounding culture.

Regina

That argument is weak, it doesn't take away from what he actually said. Ray Peat is very clear on what he thinks of Nietzsche.

Blake’s idea of the “intellectual fountain” was very different from the attitude of Schopenhauer and Nietzsche (where “Will” or assertion was the fundamental reality). Blake saw it as always flowing into new territory, discovering new things, enlivening the world that’s being discovered-created. When the organism is traumatized, it hardens, and stops developing, and wants to impose its moral hardness everywhere; assertiveness is the antithesis of perceptive life, and devises ways to negate it. - Ray Peat

Negation | Vision and Acceptance
Even here. There is an assertion that Nietzsche would not agree with Peat's last sentence. Indeed, Beyond Good And Evil is about that. The recognition for the need to flow requires the Will to accept reality.

jaguar43

Funny, because this what Dr. Peat said to me in an e-mail:

My question is this: Do you believe an activation of intention and focus to be beneficial or stressful? Also, I just started attending a local Mormon church, as I enjoy their dedication to their faith. What is your view of religion? I know you're against authoritarianism, but do you view spirituality as a natural result of a healthy metabolic state, or a pre-requisite?

How do you go from a quote by Ray Peat on Mormonism to the topic on Nietzsche ? You don't even bother to try to connect the two.

Last edited:

jaguar43

Even here. There is an assertion that Nietzsche would not agree with Peat's last sentence. Indeed, Beyond Good And Evil is about that. The recognition for the need to flow requires the Will to accept reality.

Ok, so how would you describe Blake's intellectual fountain ? Ray Peat is pretty clear with the idea that the "Will" is something that doesn't really provide the philosophy to move towards higher degrees of development. Or for that matter, move forward in a humanistic way. The Will was something assertive. He tried to provide an example of the differences between the two view points.

Regina

If you think Nietzsche verified violence as an ideal, then you don't understand at least Beyond Good and Evil; his ideas center around violence as a reactionary force from the strong to the weak. The weak are violent; they must use violence to control their surroundings and subdue the strong. The strong need not violence, they are whole and well.

Nietzsche's philosophy was a breaking respone to the lies of religion; a structure where the weak try to subdue the strong through codified servitude. It likely would have came much sooner if the Church did not suppress dissent so harshly. With the advent of the nation-state, the Church became obsolete, and the same things Nietzsche criticizes about the priests of the past can be applied to the politicians and politically active individuals of the present.

I'd think especially the latter would be accepted in Peat circles, judging by the level of biological determinism around here, to which I subscribe.

Nietzsche saw man for what he was: transient. His super-man is the next stage. Ze Übermensch.

Yes. And, of course, he spoke about the teachings of Christ and how far modern Christianity had gone from that. That, just like politics, "morality" is propagandized to suit whomever is in power. He spoke for the enslaved. Don't just stand there and take it. Don't murder parts of yourself. I do believe he believed in alchemy.
You know, I call "self-righteous, aversion, march off with the moral superiority trophy" karate mind. They natter and tarry in their conscience mind. Their kata (forms) are all solo. They examine their conscience solo. Oops, but then there is reality. How can one even define reality if you can't even knit together with others? Reality IS the flowing and knitting together. And where the mind goes.

Regina

How do you go from a quote by Ray Peat on Mormonism to the topic on Nietzsche ? You don't even bother to try to connect the two.
My take is that both Peat and Nietzsche are pretty good at perceiving/penetrating reality and TURNING ON A DIME. Peat is penetrating through the koan. The riddle.

jaguar43

My take is that both Peat and Nietzsche are pretty good at perceiving/penetrating reality and TURNING ON A DIME. Peat is penetrating through the koan. The riddle.

there is nothing similar about Nietzsche and Peat. Peat takes a humanistic approach to life. While Nietzsche takes a egotistical, immoral, inhumane approach. I find it hilarious that people are so short sided to think of those two individuals as compatible. Even after reading Peat's take on Nietzsche. My guess is that people are so committed to their philosophical ideas that they project their views onto everyone else.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals