Nicotinic acid or Niacinamide

Lostguy24

I was wondering what type of niacin should I take since I had a terrible experience with Inositol hexanicotinate niacin a couple of years back and I just then did research about other types of Niacin and thought about taking Niacinamide or nicotinic acid and which one is the best

I was wondering what type of niacin should I take since I had a terrible experience with Inositol hexanicotinate niacin a couple of years back and I just then did research about other types of Niacin and thought about taking Niacinamide or nicotinic acid and which one is the best
What terrible experience did you have?

Deborah888

I use nicotinic acid (niacin) that causes flushing every day to ward off IBS. Works great for colitis spasms (while I figure out what foods I can eat). I take 100mg four to five times per day, throughout the day. If I do this on an empty stomach I get a lot of flushing but it's normal and doesn't bother me.

Yucca

100mg is a very low dose. For therapeutic purpose, 300 to 500mg (and preferably 1g+) would be much effective. Once/day for prophyllaxy, 2 or 3x/day for recovery. If you take melatonin/Curcumin (pure 95% extract, no fillers, powder, double dose than niacin)/MCT (or coconut oil) with your niacin, there should be a much lower flush. Even no flush at all with mega melatonin doses (200-400mg+, but not mandatory)
Better to take this AFTER meals.

Deborah888

100mg is a very low dose. For therapeutic purpose, 300 to 500mg (and preferably 1g+) would be much effective. Once/day for prophyllaxy, 2 or 3x/day for recovery. If you take melatonin/Curcumin (pure 95% extract, no fillers, powder, double dose than niacin)/MCT (or coconut oil) with your niacin, there should be a much lower flush. Even no flush at all with mega melatonin doses (200-400mg+, but not mandatory)
Better to take this AFTER meals.
Yes after meals is better, but the first time I took a 500mg capsule of niacin (after a meal) I felt very faint and almost passed out. The flushing was intense but I could handle that. I was home alone and the prospect of fainting scared me. I personally do much better dividing out smaller doses. I looked it up and fainting can be a side effect of a large dose, though rare. I would've taken my blood pressure but I felt really weak and just wanted to stick my head between my legs to keep from fainting. It's working wonders for me, though, with IBS. I may increase the dosage slowly when someone is here with me.

mostlylurking

Ray Peat always recommends niacinamide and warns against the other types. Here's a collection of Peat quotes about niacinamide: Ray Peat, PhD Quotes on Therapeutic Effects of Niacinamide – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

View: https://youtu.be/VgZ0NWITuXc?t=2942

frannybananny

Ray Peat always recommends niacinamide and warns against the other types. Here's a collection of Peat quotes about niacinamide: Ray Peat, PhD Quotes on Therapeutic Effects of Niacinamide – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

View: https://youtu.be/VgZ0NWITuXc?t=2942

I read through this article on FPS looking for any reference to Nicotinamide which is in one of the skin supplements I take (recommended by Derm) to prevent Actinic Keratosis and new BCCs and Squamous cancers. It is supposed to protect the skin from the inside out. Does anyone know if this is a good form of Niacinamide or B3 to take and would it have similar benefits as Niacinamide? The supplement is called Heliocare and is made from Ferns....patented FernBlock PLE technology.

mostlylurking

I read through this article on FPS looking for any reference to Nicotinamide which is in one of the skin supplements I take (recommended by Derm) to prevent Actinic Keratosis and new BCCs and Squamous cancers. It is supposed to protect the skin from the inside out. Does anyone know if this is a good form of Niacinamide or B3 to take and would it have similar benefits as Niacinamide? The supplement is called Heliocare and is made from Ferns....patented FernBlock PLE technology.
"Nicotinamide, also known as niacinamide or nicotinic acid amide, is the water-soluble, active form of vitamin B3. It has been increasingly studied for many different indications in the field of dermatology, but more research is needed to clarify its value."

They are different names for the same thing.

frannybananny

"Nicotinamide, also known as niacinamide or nicotinic acid amide, is the water-soluble, active form of vitamin B3. It has been increasingly studied for many different indications in the field of dermatology, but more research is needed to clarify its value."

They are different names for the same thing.
Thank you! That's kind of what I thought but wanted confirmation.

CastorTroy

How much nicotinamide were you recommended to take?

frannybananny

How much nicotinamide were you recommended to take?
On my bottle's label of Heliocare Advanced it reads that one serving is 2 capsules = 500 mg of niacin. But I was just reading about niacin's effect on gout (which I get occasionally) or uric acid and I was surprised that multiple sites state:

Why does niacin cause gout?

Niacin is known to occasionally increase plasma uric acid levels and induce gout, which is a common form of inflammatory arthritis. This may be due to the inhibitory effect of niacin on uricase, which is a copper-containing enzyme that catalyzes the oxidation of uric acid, or due to a reduction in uric acid excretion.Apr 21, 2021

Last edited:

CastorTroy

On my bottle's label of Heliocare Advanced it reads that one serving is 2 capsules = 500 mg of niacin. But I was just reading about niacin's effect on gout (which I get occasionally) or uric acid and I was surprised that multiple sites state:

Why does niacin cause gout?

Niacin is known to occasionally increase plasma uric acid levels and induce gout, which is a common form of inflammatory arthritis. This may be due to the inhibitory effect of niacin on uricase, which is a copper-containing enzyme that catalyzes the oxidation of uric acid, or due to a reduction in uric acid excretion.Apr 21, 2021

I guess 500mg/day is too much. 250mg spread through the day with meals seems a more reasonable approach.