Nicotine [Through A Peat Prism?]

iPeat

A few years down the road now and as an update I will say that I wish I could delete this post and thread. It was a few years ago when I wrote this and honestly there was probably a lot of psychological bias and cherry-picking of studies because I wanted to try and justify nicotine usage for myself. Just because some select studies show some potential benefits doesn't mean that nicotine on the whole is good for you. I didn't look at much data when I wrote this and i'd consider it mostly junk science now.

It's disturbing that some people are using these nicotine posts to justify smoking tobacco which is proven highly carcinogenic and addictive.

There may be some concerns with lung inflammation, addiction, and vasoconstriction from nicotine and vaping.

I think that most of the benefits of nicotine such as temporary increases in metabolic rate, attention, memory, and dopamine boosts can be obtained much more safely by simply exercising.

Nicotine does have a proven effect on reducing risk of parkinsons but the doses needed to achieve this effect are so low that the small amounts of nicotine naturally found in nightshade vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, and potatoes are enough to have this effect.

Use at your own risk I guess...

I took your original post as sharing information about nicotine itself, not necessarily smoking tobacco. I recently listened to the KMUD where they spoke about nicotine and Peat had nothing negative to say about it and said it could be beneficial for people over 60. While there are some downsides to nicotine, it does have positives.

I myself have started chewing on the Pixotine toothpicks and have found them to really lessen my stress throughout the day. I have a physically stressful job that has mental stress attached. I also have 2 young children so there's some stress there. Honestly, my stress load was a little too much to bear unscathed, and the sole addition of the toothpicks has really helped me.

I smoked for 15 years (quit about 10 years ago) and will never go back. The toothpicks are very nice though. Don't stress the post, man. You're not responsible for other people's actions. Thank you for sharing the data.

X3CyO

Yeah. I think the fact that tobacco reduces the cortisol fluctuation associated with acute stress is why people use it so predominantly, but it impairs the organisms ability to react to stress by building better habits as a result.

Instead it replaces the role of a habit, and slowly becomes the dominant habit till its the only habit to confront stress.

BTD

Hope it's alright that I'm bumping this thread after three months of inactivity, but I just wanted to deliver some anecdotal thoughts via my own experiences.

I heard about nicotine as being positive for DHT production about three years ago on a certain men's hormone site (not going to mention the name just in case I'm accused of being any kind of affiliate rather than the advocate I simply am, but the predominant author of the site is a guy by the name of Ali). In 2018, I read about its cognitive enhancing abilities as a nootropic and I decided to give it a shot in August '18. At the time, I was a few months away from finishing up my journey to my degree. One of the classes that had recently began at the time involved heavier writing and more of an intensive reading loan than the others, so I ordered 4mg nicotine gum online.

At first, I would split a piece of gum and only chew a piece a couple of times a week. I didn't begin using entire pieces until October, and even then I wasn't using it much asides from when I needed it.

However, back in November, my mother suffered a stroke, and my life became hectic between balancing work, my final college courses and being her primary caregiver. I had a pair of 10-15+ page papers due before graduation and that's when I began using nicotine frequently... consistently.

I've probably already contributed to this thread in the past, so excuse me if I'm rehashing something I've already written, and don't mind my long-windedness, but nicotine is my favorite nootropic. I love starting my day with a 300mg Bang energy shot and a 4mg nicotine lozenge or two. That's my most productive time of the day. I don't feel any sort of negative cortisol effect, even though I know caffeine is recommended by most users (and Peat) on here after a high carb/sugar meal. I've always liked it on an empty stomach; perhaps I'm used to it or the cortisol effects are either subtle or unnoticed. Regardless, I've tripled my productivity (not measured by anything other than me subjectively stating so) by making this my morning routine.

The effects of nicotine are less pronounced now, but that's no surprise as my tolerance is high, but the only regret I have in regards to starting this nicotine habit is the money spent on it. Oh well. I guess we all have our vices, but when it comes to working on my site and other things I'm locked into and engaged with (going back to the productivity bit), it has been beneficial for me.

sladerunner69

Hope it's alright that I'm bumping this thread after three months of inactivity, but I just wanted to deliver some anecdotal thoughts via my own experiences.

I heard about nicotine as being positive for DHT production about three years ago on a certain men's hormone site (not going to mention the name just in case I'm accused of being any kind of affiliate rather than the advocate I simply am, but the predominant author of the site is a guy by the name of Ali). In 2018, I read about its cognitive enhancing abilities as a nootropic and I decided to give it a shot in August '18. At the time, I was a few months away from finishing up my journey to my degree. One of the classes that had recently began at the time involved heavier writing and more of an intensive reading loan than the others, so I ordered 4mg nicotine gum online.

At first, I would split a piece of gum and only chew a piece a couple of times a week. I didn't begin using entire pieces until October, and even then I wasn't using it much asides from when I needed it.

However, back in November, my mother suffered a stroke, and my life became hectic between balancing work, my final college courses and being her primary caregiver. I had a pair of 10-15+ page papers due before graduation and that's when I began using nicotine frequently... consistently.

I've probably already contributed to this thread in the past, so excuse me if I'm rehashing something I've already written, and don't mind my long-windedness, but nicotine is my favorite nootropic. I love starting my day with a 300mg Bang energy shot and a 4mg nicotine lozenge or two. That's my most productive time of the day. I don't feel any sort of negative cortisol effect, even though I know caffeine is recommended by most users (and Peat) on here after a high carb/sugar meal. I've always liked it on an empty stomach; perhaps I'm used to it or the cortisol effects are either subtle or unnoticed. Regardless, I've tripled my productivity (not measured by anything other than me subjectively stating so) by making this my morning routine.

The effects of nicotine are less pronounced now, but that's no surprise as my tolerance is high, but the only regret I have in regards to starting this nicotine habit is the money spent on it. Oh well. I guess we all have our vices, but when it comes to working on my site and other things I'm locked into and engaged with (going back to the productivity bit), it has been beneficial for me.

How do you feel when you wake up before taking anything? Incredibly groggy?

aguineapig

How do you feel when you wake up before taking anything? Incredibly groggy?

When I used to drink 6 or 8 cups of coffee a day, smoked a pipe and took nasal snuff every 20 minutes, I wasn't so much groggy as just motivated to get the coffee going and light a pipe. I usually had also taken some cypro and drank alcohol the night before.

sladerunner69

When I used to drink 6 or 8 cups of coffee a day, smoked a pipe and took nasal snuff every 20 minutes, I wasn't so much groggy as just motivated to get the coffee going and light a pipe. I usually had also taken some cypro and drank alcohol the night before.

What are you doing now? Why did you stop that lifestyle?

aguineapig

What are you doing now? Why did you stop that lifestyle?

I couldn't tolerate those things, life stress turned into an anxiety disorder which didn't get along with stimulants. I would like to reintroduce them a bit more moderately when I am able to again.

iPeat

Error - Cookies Turned Off

"Macroscopic examination of the stomach of nicotine‐treated rats revealed gastric mucosal hyperaemia and ulceration. These changes were prominent in oral nicotine‐treated rats compared with inhalation and i.p. nicotine‐treated rats."

I've stopped using the nicotine toothpicks. Since stopping, some stomach issues I've been having have gotten better.

Brandin

Thanks haidut.

Found this as well, which shows that the lipolytic of nicotine effect may attenuate with time. Not sure about glycolysis, but I'd imagine they're interrelated.

Source: Nicotine - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com

On another note, the ability of nicotine to lower prolactin makes it incredibly appetizing.

Zinc, aspirin, caffeine, and the ergot derivatives d do as well.

With chronic nicotine intake, there may be an effect similar to pramiprexole for libido.
I know this is an old post but still. I was thinking, shouldnt low bodyfat kind of counteract this?. I mean if yiu do not have any fat to release there shouldnt be a big deal. When I am cut I am still warm and got very high metabolism. If I were to add high dosages of sugar (80grams) a couple minutes before nicotine there should not be much ffa release righ??

ReSTART

I’ve been vaping salt nicotine anything from 4mg to 10mg per day.

The cognitive, focus and memory effects are obvious, but so are the vasoconstriction and withdrawal effects.

If I vape a bunch one day and don’t the next, I get some mild headaches.

You need to be very well hydrated because of the vasoconstriction, if I’m dehydrated and vape, my veins and head feel tight.

Daniil

Thank you very much for the information. I find nicotine even more prometabolic than caffeine. I notice a noticeable acceleration of defecation when using chewing gum with nicotine. It's the same after coffee, but nicotine works better.

db9

I would like to add my experience here as well.

Since my teens after a very stressful time of psychological abuse and a very hectic life I started struggling with blood sugar control. In my case I strongly suspect it is hyperinsulinemia because of the extremely drowsy and sleepy feeling I get after a carb meal especially and sometimes high protein. I still haven’t found a solution as none of my doctors believe I have diabetes type and therefore refuse to take any insulin tests.

Anyhow, the only time I find nicotine (snus) rewarding and giving that energetic feeling is when I’m either fasting or only consumed fat or a little bit of protein. If I take after a carb meal it just makes me feel more tired and overly relaxed where I can barely move and get very bad balance.

Does anyone have any theories as to what the connection could be here as it is previously stated that nicotine lowers insulin?

Sapien

However, it does increase fat oxidation and glycolysis so it's not something I would use in high doses on a regular basis.
Would a simple FAO inhibitor like niacinimide offset this? I want to start using nicotine as a way to increase norepinephrine (which peat spoke highly of and said is NOT a stress hormone) to increase focus/ concentration (I have typical “adhd” symptoms that were not improved by simple dopaminergic drugs, and heard norepinephrine can help with focus)

Mauritio

Decent article.

mosaic01

Normal people:
1697836946684.png

Me, an intellectual:
1697836797481.png

parallax

I've seen research suggesting that nicotine itself is powerfully addictive not by being addictive, but by making whatever activity one does during nicotine administration more addictive. This resonates with my experience. I have tried to deliberately addict myself to nicotine via gum, patches, and occasional lozenges. After about 9 months of daily use (with several tolerance test breaks) I am definitely habituated to chewing gum. During my tolerance breaks I have felt a very mild head discomfort like the beginning of a headache that never turns into an actual headache, and perhaps a general sense of slight brain fog or listlessness with mild irritability. For me this is far less severe than caffiene withdrawl.
The primary subjective effect of nicotine for me is that it enhances the vividness of experiences I have when I am under the influence, and perhaps secondary to that increased vividness I retain a clearer sequential memory of events and conversations. This effect is palpable, but not intense.
I started using the patches to experiment with a nerve impingement in my elbow. Low dose nicotine patch right over the spot fixed me up real nice, or perhaps the irritation just healed and the patch made my elbow sticky. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0168010203002220

edit: oh, also nicotine seems to make me less addicted to caffeine. I've been using 1.5 grams of caffeine every day for 17 + years, fully addicted. With some nicotine I'm happy with 400 mg caffeine. (my caffeine doeses are all spaced throughout the morning and afternoon, not big bolus doses.)

crsnpalmer

I use 3mgs Zyns throughout the day. I love the boost in focus for busy work. Probably not good long term, but I enjoy it.

Soren

Forum Supporter
Great thread I started smoking cigars about 5 years ago and just recently went on to zyns, still prefer cigars but zyns stop me from needing to smoke cigars all day (and it is a lot cheaper)

I am curious if there have ever been any studies on topical nicotine and skin health. We know that things that boost the metabolic rate like caffeine are very helpful but the only research i can find on nicotine and skin are related to smoking which is obviously bad for skin health but I wonder if topical nicotine would have beneficial effects on skin health.