Nicotine Does Not Compare To Tobacco

OP
Herbie

Herbie

Ray Peat no likey monoamine oxidase inhibition

This is all I could find on MAO-I from Ray Peat.

"Women have migraines more often than men do, and they tend to occur in association with ovulation or menstruation. Estrogen inhibits monoamino oxidase, MAO, especially the A form that is most active in detoxifying serotonin, and it increases the enzymes that control the rate of serotonin synthesis. During serotonin excess, the veins and capillaries of the pia mater are engorged with blood, while circulation to the brain generally is depressed. Visual symptoms are probably produced by contriction of arterioles, while the pain is associated with engorged veins. Progesterone activates the MAO-A, and has other antiserotonin effects on blood vessels and nerves." Ray Peat.

"Every doctor in the country seems to know that the old MAO-inhibitors are dangerous because they can raise blood pressure if you eat certain kinds of cheese while taking them" Ray Peat.

From Peatarian.com "I truly believe that I'm dependent on the MAO-I properties of tobacco and the dopamine surges. Note that nicotine has only very weak inhibitory effects, the other stuff in tobacco accounts for most of the MAO inhibition. Ray Peats official advise is to slowly substitute with (black?) tea"

OP
Herbie

Herbie

ekq7WhF.jpg

How enhanced is his bowel movement going to be after that smoke?

:pileofpoop::pileofpoop::pileofpoop::pileofpoop::pileofpoop::pileofpoop::pileofpoop::pileofpoop::pileofpoop::pileofpoop::pileofpoop: /10

OP
Herbie

Herbie

I tend to smoke 6 a day and use gum here and there when I want to cap my intake. We are also forgetting to take route of administration into account. Smoking and injecting a substance must be more intense than subcutaneous administration, or oral route. I do agree though, isolated Nicotine doesn't provide as nice an effect as entire cigarette. Who knows though, if it's due to smoking a substance, or ingested other compounds. I do love cigars as well, and that gives a nice effect through the mouth, but that could be due to the amount of nicotine exposure over say, 20-30 minutes of cigar smoking.

"We speculate that MAO inhibition by compounds found in either tobacco or tobacco smoke can potentiate nicotine's effects"
Monoamine oxidases and tobacco smoking. - PubMed - NCBI

Frankdee20

"Women have migraines more often than men do, and they tend to occur in association with ovulation or menstruation. Estrogen inhibits monoamino oxidase, MAO, especially the A form that is most active in detoxifying serotonin, and it increases the enzymes that control the rate of serotonin synthesis. During serotonin excess, the veins and capillaries of the pia mater are engorged with blood, while circulation to the brain generally is depressed. Visual symptoms are probably produced by contriction of arterioles, while the pain is associated with engorged veins. Progesterone activates the MAO-A, and has other antiserotonin effects on blood vessels and nerves." Ray Peat.

"Every doctor in the country seems to know that the old MAO-inhibitors are dangerous because they can raise blood pressure if you eat certain kinds of cheese while taking them" Ray Peat.

From Peatarian.com "I truly believe that I'm dependent on the MAO-I properties of tobacco and the dopamine surges. Note that nicotine has only very weak inhibitory effects, the other stuff in tobacco accounts for most of the MAO inhibition. Ray Peats official advise is to slowly substitute with (black?) tea"

So Black Tea has MAO I properties? Is that why it's suggested?

DaveFoster

He's also said that if women desire the mood effects of birth control (estrogen) contraceptives (aggression, compulsion, stimulation, etc.), it would be safer to use a MAO-A inhibitor.

Frankdee20

He's also said that if women desire the mood effects of birth control (estrogen) contraceptives (aggression, compulsion, stimulation, etc.), it would be safer to use a MAO-A inhibitor.

Oh so it's estrogenic

OP
Herbie

Herbie

So Black Tea has MAO I properties? Is that why it's suggested?

I don't understand Ray's thinking from that one statement, I haven't seen where he has wrote or said that statement.

OP
Herbie

Herbie

Interesting, thanks Dave.

OP
Herbie

Herbie

Oh so it's estrogenic

kyle

I had a good 4-5 week period feeling better vaping instead of smoking until I had a very stressful event occur, then nothing but smoking would do.

Isolated nicotine might be fine or superior to inhaling smoke particles and smelling nice for the ladies but if smoking is some kind of stress relief for you, you'll have a hard time trying to take that route.

OP
Herbie

Herbie

I had a good 4-5 week period feeling better vaping instead of smoking until I had a very stressful event occur, then nothing but smoking would do.

Isolated nicotine might be fine or superior to inhaling smoke particles and smelling nice for the ladies but if smoking is some kind of stress relief for you, you'll have a hard time trying to take that route.

Interesting thanks.

It seems the harm-aline alkaloids in the tobacco contribute to MOA inhibition that could be why tobacco is more enjoyable/stress relieving than plain nicotine or other substances, I don't know.

I chewed 24x 4mg nicotine gum over the last 5 days and ran out yesterday and won't bother buying it again if anything it feels like it contributes to stress.

Tobacco or fresh air IMO.

Filip1993

I find cigarettes/tobacco really stressful if I'm eating a low fat diet. I just stick to coffee/espresso during the day eating pretty low-fat and in the evening eating a meal with a decent amount of fat and smoking 1-3 cigarettes after. Works good for me and really helps with digestion.

OP
Herbie

Herbie

I find cigarettes/tobacco really stressful if I'm eating a low fat diet. I just stick to coffee/espresso during the day eating pretty low-fat and in the evening eating a meal with a decent amount of fat and smoking 1-3 cigarettes after. Works good for me and really helps with digestion.

Interesting thanks. Fat feels supportive in a way.

Waynish

I wonder why people on this board don't seem to take the health risks associated with smoking more seriously... I haven't reviewed the entire literature, but isn't it pretty resoundingly negative in terms of the actual effects on health. Maybe it seems like a nootropic in the short term, but many stimulants do - don't they?

Peater

My thoughts about cigarettes vs cigars notwithstanding, we have no idea what their nutrition and lifestyle is like. They might have spent all day out in the sun gorging canola oil and avocado :D

Also they are all bar one pair, women. With smoking/nicotine lowering estrogen/acting as an aromatase inhibitor (Sure I read that on here?) this could also be an important factor.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom