Niacinamide Without Side-effects - Is It Possible?

Swandattur

I ordered some niacinamide, because I thought it sounded like a good Peat supplement to try. Then after I got it, I was afraid to take it, because I remembered one time when I started to supplement with niacin. Niacin brought on a depressed episode. I seem to be pretty sensitive to supplements lots of times. I know niacinamide is supposed to be better than niacin, but how alike are they? Also , is there some other supplement one should take at the same time?

dietf***ed

On what dosage did you see side effects ? I think Peat mentioned using a 'moderate' dosage of niacinamide.

OP
S

Swandattur

It's been a while. I might still have bottle around somewhere. Not sure. I just took one a day of whatever mg it was. It would be nice if Ray Peat's articles could be on ebooks where you could look stuff up better. Sometimes I remember something, but don't know which article it was in.

Isadora

They are -- I am not sure how legit... The search feature on his site works for me, though...

OP
S

Swandattur

Yeah, but several articles come up for niacinamide, and then you have to comb through the articles. I will do it, though. Of course, reading the articles is what you want to do, but when you have a particular thing in mind, it's nice to be able to go right to it.

jyb

RP recommends small amounts, I think. Maybe 100-150mg per day? My niacinamide pills are 500mg which seems far too much.

HollyLooyah

fyi - Lucas on the Fanpage just set up all of RPs articles as one big PDF using Dropbox. Now you can search away - easy peasy!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
S

Swandattur

Hollylooyah, thank you for the FYI . I'll check it out. I'll look at the side effects, too Charlie. Thanks.

Orion

Niacinamide dosed between 10mg to 50mg has been given my very restless sleep, almost insomnia. Last two nights have been brutal. Sticking with caffeine and low dose aspirin to help my impaired liver for now.

Any thoughts on why some of us have bad reactions to small doses of niacinamide? Is it blocking PUFA that is been used for fuel through the night, so liver glycogen gets used up instead?

dookie

I've tried niacinamide myself, and have heard from several people who have used it. It seems to always cause side-effects, even in small doses like 30 mg. Even on the forum, most people who try niacinamide get side-effects, which is said to be due to "ramping up metabolism", or "increasing the need for glucose" since it "lowers FFA". But still, even when people eat massive amounts of sugar/food with it, it seems side-effects are still likely.

Restlessness/agitation, fatigue, strange sensations, etc. seem to be common. I read that niacinamide increases serotonin (and histamine) - could this be the reason for the side-effects?

With all this said - anyone who has used niacinamide without getting side-effects? What doses did yo use, and what benefits are you experiencing?

Interestingly I find that nicotinic acid is milder than niacinamide, causing less side-effects, even in larger doses (though I still haven't found a way to avoid all side-effects..)

thegiantess

I've tried niacinamide myself, and have heard from several people who have used it. It seems to always cause side-effects, even in small doses like 30 mg. Even on the forum, most people who try niacinamide get side-effects, which is said to be due to "ramping up metabolism", or "increasing the need for glucose" since it "lowers FFA". But still, even when people eat massive amounts of sugar/food with it, it seems side-effects are still likely.

Restlessness/agitation, fatigue, strange sensations, etc. seem to be common. I read that niacinamide increases serotonin (and histamine) - could this be the reason for the side-effects?

With all this said - anyone who has used niacinamide without getting side-effects? What doses did yo use, and what benefits are you experiencing?

Interestingly I find that nicotinic acid is milder than niacinamide, causing less side-effects, even in larger doses (though I still haven't found a way to avoid all side-effects..)
I would be interested in knowing this as well. It gives me a wicked headache.

Peata

Maybe my liver has improved or something, but I restarted niacinamide on Sunday without problems. Started taking 500 mg 4 x day. with food. No headache or sleep issues. In fact, sleeping better as far as less intense dreams like when I was taking Cypro last time. Also, I'm eating a little less calories daily than I used to, but apparently I'm getting plenty of fuel for the niacinamide because as I said, no headache.

I think it works better for anxiety if I take at least 1 g. per dose. So ended up taking 3.5 g. total yesterday (where before I was taking 2 g.) I did have trouble falling asleep last night til about 2:15 a.m., but didn't connect it to the increased dose of niacinamide til now. I'll see how it goes tonight.

D

Deleted member 5487

I can eat tons of sugar without any anxiety, whereas without niacinamide, even a tiny bit makes me feel anxious and irritable.

This old. Don't know if ur still around.

I have found any white sugar will cause panic attacks, similar with white rice. Orange juice and honey are fine. Now with niacinamide I can handle white rice and sugar. It really helps the cell oxidize such fast absorbing carbs in such a short period of time.