Niacinamide Retards/Reverses Aging And Physiological Decline

Kyle Bigman

Yet another study on the beneficial effects of raising NAD levels, and unlike other recent studies this one is not sponsored by ChromaDex. This study used nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN), and human studies have shown that niacinamide is equally effective as NMN in raising NAD levels. Also, as @tyw pointed out a few times, niacinamide is a SIRT inhibitor while NMN and nicotinamide ribodise (NR) are activators. This SIRT inhibition activity may give niacinamide an edge especially as an anti-cancer nutrient since SIRT inhibitors lower fatty acid oxidation (FAO).
Anyways, the study used life-long supplementation with NMN and used two doses - a HED of 8mg/kg and 16mg/kg. The lower dose (HED 8mg/kg) was more effective in increasing respirtation and physical activity, while the higher dose was more effective for reversing insulin resistance, weight gain and improving bone mineral density.

Long-term administration of nicotinamide mononucleotide mitigates age-associated physiological decline in mice
"...In this study, we demonstrate that long-term administration of NMN is capable of mitigating age-associated physiological decline in regular chow-fed wild-type mice. We found that a 12 month-long NMN administration 1) is well-tolerated without any obvious deleterious effects, 2) suppresses age-associated body weight gain, 3) enhances food intake, oxygen consumption, energy expenditure, and physical activity, 4) improves insulin sensitivity and plasma lipid profile, independent of its effect on body weight, and 5) improves eye function, bone density, and myeloid-lymphoid composition. NMN administration was also able to prevent age-associated gene expression changes in a tissue-dependent manner and enhance mitochondrial respiratory capability in skeletal muscle. In addition to the already reported effects of short-term NMN administration on various pathological conditions (Caton et al., 2011; Gomes et al., 2013; Long et al., 2015; Stein and Imai, 2014; Yamamoto et al., 2014; Yoshino et al., 2011), this pleiotropic effect of long-term NMN administration opens a new avenue to develop effective anti-aging interventions using key NAD+ intermediates, such as NMN."

"...It should be noted that NMN administration did not generate any obvious toxicity, serious side effects, or increased mortality rate throughout the 12 month-long intervention period, suggesting the long-term safety of NMN. Nonetheless, an optimal dose of NMN to maximize its efficacy appears to differ depending on physiological functions. For example, whereas the effects of NMN on body weight gain, insulin sensitivity, tear production, and bone mineral density were dose-dependent, 100 mg/kg/day of NMN improved oxygen consumption, energy expenditure, and physical activity better than 300 mg/kg/day. For rod and cone photoreceptor function, both doses had similar effects. Indeed, we found that expression of Ox2r and Prdm13, two downstream genes in the SIRT1-mediated signaling pathway in the hypothalamus, exhibited significant decreases in the hypothalami of 300 mg/kg/day NMN-treated mice (our preliminary finding), which could partly explain some of the observed differences in the effects of NMN, particularly those on physical activity, between two tested doses. Additionally, the extent of age-dependent NAD+ decline or NMN uptake in each tissue or organ might determine an optimal dose of NMN to restore each physiological function. Given that 100 mg/kg/day of NMN was able to mitigate most age-associated physiological declines in mice, an equivalent surface area dose for humans would be ~8 mg/kg/day (Freireich et al., 1966), providing hope to translate our findings to humans."

"...In conclusion, our long-term NMN administration study provides compelling support to an effective anti-aging intervention using NMN, a key NAD+ intermediate. Given that NMN is contained in a variety of food sources such as vegetables, fruits and meat, it will be of great interest to translate our study from mice to humans and examine whether this endogenous compound, NMN, is also an effective intervention that prevents age-associated physiological decline in humans."
Correct me if I misunderstood, but I read on wikipedia that cancer researchers consider reducing NAD+-kinase in order to lower the NADPH pool. This will increase apoptosis apparently. Niacinamide inhibits this enzyme, so would reduce NADPH pool. This might be good in cases of cancer but wouldn't it be bad for us? For example NADPH is necessary for glutathione formation, which is a potent antioxidant. That's why reducing NADPH could easily be useful to kill cancer cells but what healthy individuals without cancer would want high glutathione, correct? So how is niacinamide helpful for this?

No_Energy

Alright, we all love Niacinamide around here. Just saw this video, Harvard "antiaging" guy Sinclair saying Niacinamide is bad because it interferes with DNA repair.I think the Antagonism of SIRTuins and PARP, which they believe is bad. Well, their thing with Resveratrol , Sirt agonism, caloric restriction, that I was aware of (and Peat's view on it).. But this PARP inhibition by Niacinamide interfering with DNA repair I did not know..What do you guys have to say about this, it would be nice if Haidut could comment on it..

Last edited:

Kram

I had been using niacinamide pretty regularly the past few years and switched to nicotinamide mononucleotide and nicotinamide riboside last week after doing some more digging on this topic (I am no expert at all on biochemistry but I do know how to read). In my experience niacinamide ("NAM") doesn't even compare and NMN and NR are far superior (and NMN being better than NR). Below are some things I recently learned:

-Most the studies on the forum with "Niacinamide" actually used NMN or NR in the actual study. In one case, the authors explicitly said they did not use NAM because it was a sirtuin inhibitor
-In the attached presentation from the NAD+ Summit (apparently there is some sort of conference) on page 21, they say that sirtuins are required for making new mitochondria and mitochondrial function. They also say later that sirtuins are required for DNA repair. Seems to me like they are largely beneficial although I am aware there are studies saying they cause cancer and increase estrogen. But there are conflicting studies on pretty much every topic out there.
-In the linked journal (Implications of altered NAD metabolism in metabolic disorders | Journal of Biomedical Science | Full Text), they say that NAM does not even raise NAD+ levels (I did not read the referenced study so maybe there was an issue with dosage."Recently, a research group examined the effect of long-term administration of NAM in mice. [29]. Although the level of NAD and the mean or maximum lifespan were unchanged, the administration of NAM restored some aging-related metabolic decline including increased protein carbonylation and the reduction of oxygen consumption rates. "

Since I have made the switch from NAM, my temps are up, I have improved energy and mood and feel healing is taking place again (I had been pretty suck for about two years). I don't think NAM is bad for you but I think it was causing me a ton of issues. I am also now responding to low doses of thyroid, pregnenolone / DHEA and even coffee, none of these were working like they initially did when I first started working on my health a couple years ago. Below is an old thread on the importance of the NAD+/NADH ratio to metabolic health.
NAD/NADH Ratio - The One Metabolic Cause To Rule Them All

Attachments

• Giuliano-Lecture-on-NAD2-4-18.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 16

Vinny

I had been using niacinamide pretty regularly the past few years and switched to nicotinamide mononucleotide and nicotinamide riboside last week after doing some more digging on this topic (I am no expert at all on biochemistry but I do know how to read). In my experience niacinamide ("NAM") doesn't even compare and NMN and NR are far superior (and NMN being better than NR). Below are some things I recently learned:

-Most the studies on the forum with "Niacinamide" actually used NMN or NR in the actual study. In one case, the authors explicitly said they did not use NAM because it was a sirtuin inhibitor
-In the attached presentation from the NAD+ Summit (apparently there is some sort of conference) on page 21, they say that sirtuins are required for making new mitochondria and mitochondrial function. They also say later that sirtuins are required for DNA repair. Seems to me like they are largely beneficial although I am aware there are studies saying they cause cancer and increase estrogen. But there are conflicting studies on pretty much every topic out there.
-In the linked journal (Implications of altered NAD metabolism in metabolic disorders | Journal of Biomedical Science | Full Text), they say that NAM does not even raise NAD+ levels (I did not read the referenced study so maybe there was an issue with dosage."Recently, a research group examined the effect of long-term administration of NAM in mice. [29]. Although the level of NAD and the mean or maximum lifespan were unchanged, the administration of NAM restored some aging-related metabolic decline including increased protein carbonylation and the reduction of oxygen consumption rates. "

Since I have made the switch from NAM, my temps are up, I have improved energy and mood and feel healing is taking place again (I had been pretty suck for about two years). I don't think NAM is bad for you but I think it was causing me a ton of issues. I am also now responding to low doses of thyroid, pregnenolone / DHEA and even coffee, none of these were working like they initially did when I first started working on my health a couple years ago. Below is an old thread on the importance of the NAD+/NADH ratio to metabolic health.
NAD/NADH Ratio - The One Metabolic Cause To Rule Them All
Thank you man. That makes things a bit more clearer about nicotinamide. I,ve got a still unopened bag of it, which, if the above you wrote is true, should go to the bin. Sad, considering also that the mononucleotide version is sooo expensive... Anyway, hope others with knowledge will chime in too.
What are ur dosages, however?

ddjd

boris

Thank you man. That makes things a bit more clearer about nicotinamide. I,ve got a still unopened bag of it, which, if the above you wrote is true, should go to the bin. Sad, considering also that the mononucleotide version is sooo expensive... Anyway, hope others with knowledge will chime in too.
What are ur dosages, however?

Really? Hundreds of studies posted here showing the benefits of Niacinamide for all kinds of conditions and this one minute video by a known scam artist makes you throw it in the bin?

Edit: sorry, I see you reacted to a posters personal experience. Still I remain sceptical of David Sinclairs claims.

Last edited:

Vinny

Really? Hundreds of studies posted here showing the benefits of Niacinamide for all kinds of conditions and this one minute video by a known scam artist makes you throw it in the bin?

Edit: sorry, I see you reacted to a posters personal experience. Still I remain sceptical of David Sinclairs claims.
No problem.
Yes, I reacted to his personal experience, glad you noticed.
I would be more than happy if the content of my bag has the same benefits as the expensive shitt, that I can,t afford at all. I just lack the knowledge in this matter.
Regarding mr Sinclair - no, he,s been fired. Wouldn,t even ask him what time is it.

Inaut

Georgi discusses the difference between Niacinamide and NR during his most current interview with Matt Blackburn on Mitolife Radio. He still says niacinamide is better because the NR gets converted into niacinamide anyways when broken down.

Kram

Georgi discusses the difference between Niacinamide and NR during his most current interview with Matt Blackburn on Mitolife Radio. He still says niacinamide is better because the NR gets converted into niacinamide anyways when broken down.
I'm not personally asking you but how come NR, NMN and NAD+ (which is really telling to me that sirtuins may be beneficial since everyone pretty much agrees on NAD+ being extremely important) all activate sirtuins but niacinamide inhibits them? Again, most of the studies on the forum showing niacinamide having benefits actually use NMN or NR in the study...

Inhibiting sirtuins also disrupts REM sleep among the other issues I mentioned in my post above.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals