Niacinamide Reduces Hyperparathyroidism

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by jjhotcakes, May 17, 2015.

1. jjhotcakes

jjhotcakes Member

This is only my second post on the forum. I've been researching hyperparathyroidism and hypercalcemia, and I've been coming across some good stuff that validates a lot of Peat's views. I came across this abstract a moment ago that claims that niacinamide (1080 mg per day) decreased serum phosphorus (elevated serum phosphorus is implicated in hyperparathyroidism) - though it did increase again after discontinuing niacinamide at 12 weeks. Also niacinamide decreased PTH, and the abstract doesn't say what happened to that after discontinuing. I don't have access to the full paper, but the abstract paints a fairly optimistic view.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14871431

2. haidut

haidut Member

Good find. I think another VERY important finding was this.
    "...The mean dose of nicotinamide was 1080 mg/day. The mean blood NAD concentration increased from 9.3 +/- 1.9 nmol/105 erythrocytes before treatment to 13.2 +/- 5.3 nmol/105 erythrocytes after treatment (P < 0.01)."

The levels of NAD are one of the most (if not THE most important) indicator of metabolic health. Actually, the NAD/NADH ratio is what is considered more important, but an increase in NAD will probably also lead to an increase in NAD/NADH. So, if 1g of niacinamide increased NAD by 50% then taking 2g could potentially double it. This matches well with another study (in rodents) showing NAD increase of more than 150% from a human equivalent dose of 3g niacinamide a day.

3. RPDiciple

RPDiciple Member

Thats awesome. But what about if one is wanting to loose fat? 1-2 g a day i guess will hinder it some?

4. haidut

haidut Member

Yeah, it is possible that such high doses would hinder weight loss. Ray said 100mg niacinamide a few times a day would be best for both health and not hindering weight loss.

5. Kasper

Kasper Member

How does niacinamide hinders weight loss ?