Niacinamide - Insulin Resistance?

CaliforniaKat

Have you ever gotten fasted insulin bloods drawn? You’d need to get the HOMA-IR score shooting for 1 as the optimal value. How’s your cholesterol? Less than 1g of LDL means pretty much no inflammation to be found.

This can be achieved naturally with a proper low fat, low GI diet. Tubers, some fruit = plenty of natural sugar.

As mentioned above, using acidic tools to improve digestion is going to help tremendously.

I was IR months ago, but based on this bloodwork maybe not any more? I'm still heavier than I'd like, but lost 55 pounds using LC from Jan to July.

Fasting glucose 84 (65-99)
A1C 5.0
Fasting insulin 5.8 (2.0-19.6)

Total cholesterol 184 (<200)
HDL 57 (>50)
LDL 110 (<100)

Reference ranges are in parentheses. I take a baby aspirin and 2 grains Armour, supplement mag, D and a couple others. Not using niacinamide or E at the moment. Slowly raising carbs but am at about 50/25/25 CFP.

well the second study says just that:

This rate of return was considerably slower than in young, healthy subjects.
drugs and dosage forms which require an acidic environment for dissolution or release may be poorly assimilated.

The 2nd sentence would most definitely apply to nutrition. Ergo older people would benefit from HCL supplementation.

I'm skimming through the 1st study's full paper and it brings up an interesting point:

Ifgastric acid secretion usually remains relatively constant over the years, why does the incidence of peptic ulcer disease increase so clearly with advancing age? One reason is that ulcer risk factors such as Hpylori infection, exposure to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and cigarette smoking are more prevalent in the elderly population.

there is recent evidence that gastroduodenal mucosal prostaglandin generation and gastric secretion of bicarbonate decline with advancing age, even in healthy people.

maybe why some elderly react very well to sparkling water. Anyhow, this study says they do pump HCL, which I could agree with, but they don't say how slow it's pumped out (the figure above suggests it's slower with age, just like the 2nd study you brought up) and that is the whole topic at hand since a fast metabolism and digestion is more desirable than slow. Beside:

However, none of these recent studies2'4 included enough truly elderly healthy subjects to reach definitive conclusions.

It's all theoretical, but clearly not nonsensical. Too many people react very well to either baking soda or betaine HCL to dismiss those supplements.

ddjd

I’ve had a decent amount of success recommending betaine HCL + digestive enzymes to people who won’t go full on vegan or “alkaline-neurotic”
cant supplementing betaince HCL cause the body to produce less of its own, long term

Tansia

I was IR months ago, but based on this bloodwork maybe not any more? I'm still heavier than I'd like, but lost 55 pounds using LC from Jan to July.

Fasting glucose 84 (65-99)
A1C 5.0
Fasting insulin 5.8 (2.0-19.6)

Total cholesterol 184 (<200)
HDL 57 (>50)
LDL 110 (<100)

Reference ranges are in parentheses. I take a baby aspirin and 2 grains Armour, supplement mag, D and a couple others. Not using niacinamide or E at the moment. Slowly raising carbs but am at about 50/25/25 CFP.
Apologies for a stupid question, but what do you mean by using LC?

jmojo

Apologies for a stupid question, but what do you mean by using LC?
Low carb most likely. It can be a method of losing weight since most consume more protein and thus less calories overall. It's a short term solution that often backfires with longer term detriments.

Tansia

T
Low carb most likely. It can be a method of losing weight since most consume more protein and thus less calories overall. It's a short term solution that often backfires with longer term detriments.
Thanks for explaining ?

Hgreen56

Peat is not a proponent of a high intake of niacinamide. He usually recommends only 125mg up to 4 times per day.

Peat has said that niacinamide up to 1 gram per day is probably safe but he recommends lower doses like 200-500 mg per day in divided doses.

Niacinamide depletes the methyl pool so the exact dose where this becomes a problem is going to be different for everyone. Niacinamide Increases Homocysteine

There may be reasons to supplement at higher doses short term for specific conditions, but generally, I've seen Peat recommend doses of the order of 50-100mg with meals.
:rolleyes: :rofl

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals