Niacinamide & food timing?

Niacinamide usually perks up my brain. But today I feel like it made me sleepy (Note: it could have been something else, it just seemed like the NAM).

I see discussion of FFA and sugar around niacinamide. Can somebody break it down for me in layman's / practical terms? Is the general advice to eat niacin with sugar? Or with fat?

This morning I had it after having coffee / cream / d-ribose, and a few hard boiled eggs for breakfast. Was there not enough sugar/fat there to support the niacinamide? Or am I understanding this wrong?

Can somebody help clarify? When's the best time to take niacinamide and with what food type? Thank you.

Niacinamide usually perks up my brain. But today I feel like it made me sleepy (Note: it could have been something else, it just seemed like the NAM).

I see discussion of FFA and sugar around niacinamide. Can somebody break it down for me in layman's / practical terms? Is the general advice to eat niacin with sugar? Or with fat?

This morning I had it after having coffee / cream / d-ribose, and a few hard boiled eggs for breakfast. Was there not enough sugar/fat there to support the niacinamide? Or am I understanding this wrong?

Can somebody help clarify? When's the best time to take niacinamide and with what food type? Thank you.
Hi Wisdom! I asked the same question a few weeks back and Hans said don't use it at bedtime. I have also read it is good to have with a starch or high fat meal to block the storing of fats. Ray Peat says this, "The amounts needed seem large if niacinamide is thought of as “vitamin B3,” but it should be considered as a factor that compensates for our unphysiological exposure to inappropriate fats. Aspirin and vitamin E are other natural substances that are therapeutic in “unnaturally” large amounts because of our continual exposure to the highly unsaturated plant-derived n-3 and n-6 fats".

Beastmode

@Rinse & rePeat. An email exchange I had with Peat earlier this year:

ME:
Do you believe it's more important to take B3 early morning since we're typically using fat during our sleep/fast to avoid lipolysis?

Too simplistic of a strategy?

RAY:
Free fatty acid rise during the night, so bedtime might be appropriate.

(he also mentions having it with food, including carbs.)

@Rinse & rePeat. An email exchange I had with Peat earlier this year:

ME:
Do you believe it's more important to take B3 early morning since we're typically using fat during our sleep/fast to avoid lipolysis?

Too simplistic of a strategy?

RAY:
Free fatty acid rise during the night, so bedtime might be appropriate.

(he also mentions having it with food, including carbs.)
Ok I will give it a switch! Thanks Beastmode!

Birdie

I wrote "with food" on the bottle. I take one with breakfast and sometimes one with a later meal. Interesting that Ray mentioned bedtime. Might try that then. Thanks for the quotes from Ray @Rinse & rePeat and @Beastmode . I appreciate those.

OP
wealthofwisdom
By the way, I think I figured out what was going on. In re-organizing my vitamins a few days ago I realized that the little scoop that I THOUGHT was for "500mg" was actually only for about 50mg. Since my bag of niacinamide powder says "500mg" per dose, I switched to the bigger scoop a few days ago. I didn't make the connection until I saw another post touting the benefits of low dose NAM.

Basically this entire time I had been taking 50mg 1-2x/day THINKING it was 500mg, and getting great results. When I switched to the 500mg scoop a few days ago. that's when I started feeling sleepy. Today I did the 50mg scoop again this morning and felt energized not sleepy.

Here's Ray on the subject:

By the way, I think I figured out what was going on. In re-organizing my vitamins a few days ago I realized that the little scoop that I THOUGHT was for "500mg" was actually only for about 50mg. Since my bag of niacinamide powder says "500mg" per dose, I switched to the bigger scoop a few days ago. I didn't make the connection until I saw another post touting the benefits of low dose NAM.

Basically this entire time I had been taking 50mg 1-2x/day THINKING it was 500mg, and getting great results. When I switched to the 500mg scoop a few days ago. that's when I started feeling sleepy. Today I did the 50mg scoop again this morning and felt energized not sleepy.

Here's Ray on the subject:
That was interesting that the niacin flush is bad thing. Oh man that flush was unbearable. Heck with those YouTube spicy or cinnamon challenges, the niacin flush challenge would be hilarious!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals