HLP

@haidut My daughter (37) has been diagnosed with Hydronephrosis and is experiencing kidney pain. The ultra sound didn't reveal any stone per se but her kidney is swollen in specific areas. Her option is to have a stent inserted but I am wondering if in the mean time she could try other options. Currently she is avoiding PUFA and has been for several months, eating lots of dairy , fruit and avoiding grains. She is supplementing with Niacinamide, B1, aspirin, K2, D3. I have left a nice chicken brooder fixture and infra red/white/orange 250 watt bulb for her to try. Can you think of anything else we could try? Over the last two years she has suffered from spontaneous spinal fluid leaks from a large calcification in her C7 area of her spine. Needless to say there were a lot of pain meds involved for a while. Otherwise she has been previously very strong, healthy and athletic. She participated in a Mud Hero race with her younger brother's friend who is almost 20 years younger and she almost beat him. She is tall, slim and was quite muscular before all of this happened. My goal here, is to help her avoid any kind of medical procedures if possible. Thanks in advance for any kind of support you can offer.

BibleBeliever

You ever looked into vitamin a? I remember WestonPrice speaking much of vitamin a for kidney health. I remember in one of Ray's articles with his experimental supplementing that he took 9 times the ratio of vitamin a to d roughly. Having dairy (already high in vitamin d to a) and then supplementing vitamin d on top of that could cause low vitamin a over time.

Ray writes about salt protecting the kidneys from heavy metals. I know salt also can help regulate calcium. Excessive potassium with low salt is known to be hard on the kidneys.
Also to note, in some people too much vitamin d can cause calcification.
Magnesium helps regulate calcium too. Although not Peat recommended supplement, boron helps increase magnesium and vitamin d regulation.

I know very few here speak about it, as most have too much phosphorus. However a Peat diet is very anti phosphorus. Fructose lowers it quite a bit. Same with coffee and especially niacin. Calcium too.
It is theoretically possible that supplementing niacinamide with high calcium and fructose intake could cause phosphorus to be too low, which in turn would cause excess calcium and then the possible calcification.

I have noticed this myself, I've had to increase my phosphorus lately. All that coffee and orange juice lowering it too much. Ray has said a 2:1 ratio is fine, a 1:1 is ideal. However who knows how much fructose and niacinamide lower it from that level already; from what I've read quite a bit.

HLP

Thanks @JackHanma She drinks a few cups of coffee daily. As far as I know she doesn't drink orange juice very often. I gave her a bottle of vitamin A but I will need to remind her to take a drop daily. Salt is part of her diet. I was able to obtain some Cyproheptadine and she uses a small dose (1 mg) nightly. Also she is on a fairly high dose of thyroid glandular as well.

yerrag

I'm considering niacinamide for my stage 1 chronic kidney condition, which arose from a dozen years of lead toxicity in my kidneys, for which I have a hypertensive condition. I'm currently trying out 45 grams of raw garlic a day as garlic could chelate lead. This is already after I have tried two heavy metal chelator product - HMD, six years ago, and PectaClear, just recently. I've put PectaClear on hold now, as progress has been slow or nonexistent. Since I just started on garlic, it would be a month before I would want to test it for its efficacy.

Since niacinamide's good effects on kidney is the effect of lowering phosphate, I'm not sure if niacinamide is applicable in helping with my kidney condition. I want to give this a good evaluation as to niacinamide's suitability. If its effects are marginal at best in helping me with my kidney condition, I will put it aside. I have the feeling niacinamide does not directly address the cause of my kidney ailment, but would my kidney benefit from using it, in an indirect way?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I'm considering niacinamide for my stage 1 chronic kidney condition, which arose from a dozen years of lead toxicity in my kidneys, for which I have a hypertensive condition. I'm currently trying out 45 grams of raw garlic a day as garlic could chelate lead. This is already after I have tried two heavy metal chelator product - HMD, six years ago, and PectaClear, just recently. I've put PectaClear on hold now, as progress has been slow or nonexistent. Since I just started on garlic, it would be a month before I would want to test it for its efficacy.

Since niacinamide's good effects on kidney is the effect of lowering phosphate, I'm not sure if niacinamide is applicable in helping with my kidney condition. I want to give this a good evaluation as to niacinamide's suitability. If its effects are marginal at best in helping me with my kidney condition, I will put it aside. I have the feeling niacinamide does not directly address the cause of my kidney ailment, but would my kidney benefit from using it, in an indirect way?

The recent studies with nicotinamide riboside (NR) show that raising NAD levels protects organs from deterioration of aging and ultimately failure. Gogole for "nicotinamide riboside organ aging". So, niacinamide should have a direct beneficial effect as well.

yerrag

The recent studies with nicotinamide riboside (NR) show that raising NAD levels protects organs from deterioration of aging and ultimately failure. Gogole for "nicotinamide riboside organ aging". So, niacinamide should have a direct beneficial effect as well.
It's long in coming, but thanks haidut. I'm now starting to take niacinamide 1g daily, maybe will increase it to 2g. I noticed though when I take 1g at night, it increases my urination. Bit I also notice another effect, a good one. It seems to give me more energy. I don't get an energy low during the day.

I'll check back after a month or two of 1-2 g daily niacinamide to see how this helps my kidneys. Since I have my urine protein/Creatinine ratio values, I will see if niacinamide improves it.

TreasureVibe

It's long in coming, but thanks haidut. I'm now starting to take niacinamide 1g daily, maybe will increase it to 2g. I noticed though when I take 1g at night, it increases my urination. Bit I also notice another effect, a good one. It seems to give me more energy. I don't get an energy low during the day.

I'll check back after a month or two of 1-2 g daily niacinamide to see how this helps my kidneys. Since I have my urine protein/Creatinine ratio values, I will see if niacinamide improves it.
Hey how has it effected your kidneys so far as far as you can tell? Thanks!

yerrag

Hey how has it effected your kidneys so far as far as you can tell? Thanks!

I haven't felt any change yet. But I'll continue on it. I've been monitoring my urine protein/creatinine ratio as well as my LDH. As of last check, my protein crea ratio is about on the borderline, after swinging back from an above range reading that equates to a CKD stage, after having been on magnesium and vitamin C for 3 months. I'm still on them, and this on my 7th month, although I may level off my dosage of magnesium bicarb as I'm getting signs that I am magnesium-sufficient already. Ditto with my LDH.

So the niacinamide is going to help, but I wouldn't know to tell how much it would help.

TreasureVibe

I haven't felt any change yet. But I'll continue on it. I've been monitoring my urine protein/creatinine ratio as well as my LDH. As of last check, my protein crea ratio is about on the borderline, after swinging back from an above range reading that equates to a CKD stage, after having been on magnesium and vitamin C for 3 months. I'm still on them, and this on my 7th month, although I may level off my dosage of magnesium bicarb as I'm getting signs that I am magnesium-sufficient already. Ditto with my LDH.

So the niacinamide is going to help, but I wouldn't know to tell how much it would help.
Thank you, please keep us up to date! And best wishes!

Texon

I have not heard of anecdotal reports of histamine intolerance due to niacinamide, so it may not be black and white. I've been on 50-100mg for 6 months and I do not get diarrhea, headaches, rhinitis from it. In the beginning I did get headaches. I am also on ascorbic acid so maybe it has offset some of it.
The ascorbic acid does have antihistamine effects.

yerrag

Thank you, please keep us up to date! And best wishes!

I finally started on high dosage niacinamide 2 days ago. It took awhile for me to get started with this as I had experienced higher blood pressure upon taking it, given the pro-metabolic nature of B3 and it seemed my body was resisting it, and by constricting my blood vessels, it is downregulating my metabolism as its response.

After just starting on an all-fruit diet (therapy) 2 days ago, I found that B3 isn't having this effect on me anymore. Perhaps it's because without eating meat, I was getting just the right amount of metabolic support from B3 to compensate for not having meat.

So now, I'm on 700mg x 3 daily. Will see how this goes.

yerrag

I finally started on high dosage niacinamide 2 days ago. It took awhile for me to get started with this as I had experienced higher blood pressure upon taking it, given the pro-metabolic nature of B3 and it seemed my body was resisting it, and by constricting my blood vessels, it is downregulating my metabolism as its response.

After just starting on an all-fruit diet (therapy) 2 days ago, I found that B3 isn't having this effect on me anymore. Perhaps it's because without eating meat, I was getting just the right amount of metabolic support from B3 to compensate for not having meat.

So now, I'm on 700mg x 3 daily. Will see how this goes.
Almost a week later on niacinamide, and with help from k2 and the use of a far infrared heat-generating mat that I lie on, I was finally able to reach lower lows in recent memory (15 years +) in my blood pressure. It also helped that 2 months ago, it was discovered that I have a latent periodontal issue. I believe that was the root cause of my kidney and high blood pressure problem.

yerrag

Both seem to lower phosphate and PTH in human trials with CKD.
I'm not able to make a connection here. How does lowering phosphate and PTH help the kidneys?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Vinero

Aside form their role as powerful suppressors of metabolism, PTH can directly cause or exacerbate kidney failure through the calcium regulation. Phosphate can as well. Search Peat's website for either PTH or phosphate.
Kidney Failure Due to Hyperparathyroidism and High Blood Calcium
But I think that is a long-term consequence of being on a high phosphate diet. Most people eat a ratio of 6/1 or 8/1 of phosphate/calcium and thrive for a long time. Many people avoid milk and dairy products and eat large amounts of meat, beans and grains. Bodybuilders eat a high phosphate/calcium diet mainly consisting of white rice and chicken breast. If it would cause kidney failure it would happen more often I think.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
But I think that is a long-term consequence of being on a high phosphate diet. Most people eat a ratio of 6/1 or 8/1 of phosphate/calcium and thrive for a long time. Many people avoid milk and dairy products and eat large amounts of meat, beans and grains. Bodybuilders eat a high phosphate/calcium diet mainly consisting of white rice and chicken breast. If it would cause kidney failure it would happen more often I think.

True, but I think PTH has a direct detrimental effect on the kidneys as well. It is an inflammatory agent and it increases lipolysis, which we know leads to kidney damage.
Increased Fat Oxidation Is The Cause Of Kidney Damage In Diabetes

yerrag

Aside form their role as powerful suppressors of metabolism, PTH can directly cause or exacerbate kidney failure through the calcium regulation. Phosphate can as well. Search Peat's website for either PTH or phosphate.
Kidney Failure Due to Hyperparathyroidism and High Blood Calcium
Thanks. No wonder my heart rate increased lately. It had to do with my increased b3 intake. Increased intake of calcium and Vitamin D may have also helped. And I had been on therapeutic dosage of magnesium for at least a year.

Milk in context: allergies, ecology, and some myths :

When there is adequate calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium in the diet, PTH is kept to a minimum. When PTH is kept low, cells increase their formation of the uncoupling proteins, that cause mitochondria to use energy at a higher rate, and this is associated with decreased activity of the fatty acid synthase enzymes.

Phosphate, activation, and aging.:

The role of phosphate in forming calcium phosphate crystals had until recently been assumed to be passive, but some specific "mechanistic" effects have been identified. For example, increased phosphate increases the inflammatory cytokine, osteopontin (Fatherazi, et al., 2009), which in bone is known to activate the process of decalcification, and in arteries is involved in calcification processes (Tousoulis, et al., 2012). In the kidneys, phosphate promotes calcification (Bois and Selye, 1956), and osteopontin, by its activation of inflammatory T-cells, is involved in the development of glomerulonephritis, as well as in inflammatory skin reactions (Yu, et al., 1998). High dietary phosphate increases serum osteopontin, as well as serum phosphate and parathyroid hormone, and increases the formation of tumors in skin (Camalier, et al., 2010). Besides the activation of cells and cell systems, phosphate (like other ions with a high ratio of charge to size, including citrate) can activate viruses (Yamanaka, et al., 1995; Gouvea, et al., 2006). Aromatase, the enzyme that synthesizes estrogen, is an enzyme that's sensitive to the concentration of phosphate (Bellino and Holben, 1989).

More generally, increased dietary phosphate increases the activity of an important regulatory enzyme, protein kinase B, which promotes organ growth. A high phosphate diet increases the growth of liver (Xu, et al., 2008) and lung (Jin, et al., 2007), and promotes the growth of lung cancer (Jin, et al., 2009). An extreme reduction of phosphate in the diet wouldn't be appropriate, however, because a phosphate deficiency stimulates cells to increase the phosphate transporter, increasing the cellular uptake of phosphate, with an effect similar to the dietary excess of phosphate, i.e., promotion of lung cancer (Xu, et al., 2010). The optimum dietary amount of phosphate, and its balance with other minerals, hasn't been determined.

I think that the effect of high phosphate and low calcium together will result in a slow building of calcified tissues. This would show up over time, and since this is usually attributed falsely to the putative inevitability of aging, the failure of vital organs such as the kidneys isn't being seen as attributable to a high phosphate/calcium ratio in nutrition.