Niacinamide And Histamine

Inaut

Just wondering if anybody else notices an allergic type reaction after taking niacinamide? I'm not sure if it's niacinamide causing itchiness all over my body or something else but does niacinamide increase histamine by any chance? I was maybe taking 200mg of niacinamide daily..

aguilaroja

... I'm not sure if it's niacinamide causing itchiness all over my body or something else but does niacinamide increase histamine by any chance? ...

The “flushing” response seen often with taking regular niacin has been reported, uncommonly, with niacinamide. I have not experienced it first-hand or second-hand. You might google “niacinamide” & “flushing”.

Abram Hoffer, who supervised many people taking niacin and also niacinamide, saw it once in a while:

http://whale.to/a/hoffer5.html
“For reasons unknown, about 1 in 100 persons who take niacinamide do flush. They must be able to convert niacinamide to niacin in their bodies at a very rapid pace. There must be a clue here somewhere. It is believed that niacin causes a flush by a complicated mechanism which releases histamine, interferes in prostaglandin metabolism, may be related to serotonin mechanism and may involve the cholinergic system, Rohte, Thormahlen and Ochlich (1977).”

There is no commercial incentive to study this issue. I don’t know enough about vitamin manufacturing issues to know if there are excipients or by products in processing that make one product different in this response than another. Some who supplement niacin develop tolerance/decreased flushing over time. I don’t know if that’s the case with the less common niacinamide flush.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23426511

Mossy

Just wondering if anybody else notices an allergic type reaction after taking niacinamide? I'm not sure if it's niacinamide causing itchiness all over my body or something else but does niacinamide increase histamine by any chance? I was maybe taking 200mg of niacinamide daily..
I can get allergic reactions to niacinamide, which I'm distinguishing as having nothing to do with the niacin flush, but truly just an allergic reaction.

There are a lot of variables, but the first and most Peatish answer would be that it's simply a low quality supplement and is not pure enough. Or, even if it is pure enough, your body may simply not like this isolated substance--which is the case with my body with many supplements.

I'm still learning a lot myself, but my rule of thumb is simply to not take things continually, and to start off with low doses. I only take 50mg at a time with niacinamide, and I usually do ok.

Curiousman

I also have been allergic reaction with niacinamide.

Niacinamide unfortunately gives me high histamine reaction too. Sucks cuz of all the food things ray says about it, but somethings just aren't for everyone.

invictus

After taking 50 mg of niacinamide last evening, woke up with a scratchy throat, sneezing and lots of nasal discharge. I don't need this. Already dealing with high pollen & mold levels. Hate to go out or even take deep breaths of the cool morning air. Back to square one.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals