Niacinamide and food sensitivities

MattyG27

I'm trying to use Niacinamide to help treat food and other sensitivities. My body is sensitive to a lot these days, vitamins, minerals, probiotics, you name it. While I understand Niacinamide is vitamin B3 it seems to be helping my pain in my hips that my sensitivities give me. However, does anyone have any experience with it helping your sensitivities and if so what was your dosage you used and did you combine it with anything else?

Thanks

mostlylurking

I'm trying to use Niacinamide to help treat food and other sensitivities. My body is sensitive to a lot these days, vitamins, minerals, probiotics, you name it. While I understand Niacinamide is vitamin B3 it seems to be helping my pain in my hips that my sensitivities give me. However, does anyone have any experience with it helping your sensitivities and if so what was your dosage you used and did you combine it with anything else?

Thanks
I have lots of experience with food sensitivities and other environmental chemical sensitivities. I have lots of personal experience with the hip pain/plevic pain too. My theory is that the cause is leaky gut. It lets things pass through the gut lining that shouldn't. Partially digested food molecules get into the blood stream; this sets up the food sensitivities because the body recognizes the food molecules as foreign invaders and initiates a defensive response. Inflammation results. In addition, I think the endotoxin gets through the leaky gut and causes inflammation and more.

The solution that worked for me:
1. cut all gluten out of the diet.
2. cut all PUFA out of the diet. No nuts, no seeds, no grains.
3. Eat healthy fiber everyday. This includes raw shredded carrot, cooked bamboo shoots, well cooked (1 hour) white button mushrooms.
4. Make gelatin and dairy major sources of protein and cut way back on eating muscle meat.
5. Heal the gut. Ray Peat suggested (in addition to eating lots of well cooked mushrooms) thiamine and magnesium. I take both, in pretty high doses. The thiamine has eradicated my inflammation problem.

I also take niacinamide, 90mg, 4Xday. I lost about 25 pounds in a few months after adding the niacinamide 4Xday. So it has been helpful for me.

Last edited:
OP
M

MattyG27

I have lots of experience with food sensitivities and other environmental chemical sensitivities. I have lots of personal experience with the hip pain/plevic pain too. My theory is that the cause is leaky gut. It lets things pass through the gut lining that shouldn't. Partially digested food molecules get into the blood stream; this sets up the food sensitivities because the body recognizes the food molecules as foreign invaders and initiates a defensive response. Inflammation results. In addition, I think the endotoxin gets through the leaky gut and causes inflammation and more.

The solution that worked for me:
1. cut all gluten out of the diet.
2. cut all PUFA out of the diet. No nuts, no seeds, no grains.
3. Eat healthy fiber everyday. This includes raw shredded carrot, cooked bamboo shoots, well cooked (1 hour) white button mushrooms.
4. Make gelatin and dairy major sources of protein and cut way back on eating muscle meat.
5. Heal the gut. Ray Peat suggested (in addition to eating lots of well cooked mushrooms) thiamine and magnesium. I take both, in pretty high doses. The thiamine has eradicated my inflammation problem.

I also take niacinamide, 90mg, 4Xday. I lost about 25 pounds in a few months after adding the niacinamide 4Xday. So it has been helpful for me.

Thank you very much for the reply!!

I've cut out gluten for the last several years. I've only come across Ray Peat and his information thou in the last few months.

Right now I take Methylene Blue in the morning, full body Red Light Therapy and take Niacinamide(500mg) along with a Methylation Vitamin(B12, Riboflavin, Folate). However, my body is sensitive to Vitamins and Thiamin happens to be one of the worst ones. I've tried taking it but my face will break out and it effects my glutes.
Therefore that's why I was trying to see if I could calm the sensitivities down with the Niacinamide so I could start to take the Thiamin and other minerals my body needs like Magnesium, which I also can't take anymore. BTW, that Thiamin article was great, thank you for sending it over.

I've started to up my dosage of Niacinamide to 2 capsules(500mg each), one in morning and one with my dinner. It definitely helps my pain issues with my hips and glutes. However, like you said, I also lost about 5 pounds and I'm already skinny as is.

What was the timeframe it took for the thiamine to heal your glute/hip pain? Also, did you get any cold issues with your hands and feet cause that's another problem that I have. I was able to stop it when I was able to take more minerals but then my body got too sensitive to them.

Let me know
Thanks again

Ben.

mostlylurking

Right now I take Methylene Blue in the morning, full body Red Light Therapy and take Niacinamide(500mg) along with a Methylation Vitamin(B12, Riboflavin, Folate).
I've had bad reactions to methylene blue. I think the reason was I was thiamine deficient which caused me to be high serotonin (thiamine is required to clear serotonin from the brain). Methylene blue is an MAO inhibitor.

Ray Peat's not a fan of increasing methylation so I don't try to do that. But I do take riboflavin.

View: https://youtu.be/jwVDzaH4XZ4?t=2779

I've started to up my dosage of Niacinamide to 2 capsules(500mg each), one in morning and one with my dinner.
That's a real horse dose of niacinamide. That would make me loopy. I take 90mg, 4Xday. High dose niacinamide makes my brain hurt.
What was the timeframe it took for the thiamine to heal your glute/hip pain? Also, did you get any cold issues with your hands and feet cause that's another problem that I have. I was able to stop it when I was able to take more minerals but then my body got too sensitive to them.
The first time I took a higher dose of thiamine hcl (around 300mg), all my inflammation disappeared within 45 minutes, and my body temperature increased a full degree. Cold hands/feet points to hypothyroidism (and/or thiamine deficiency). Each of these interfere with oxidative metabolism.

OP
M

MattyG27

I've had bad reactions to methylene blue. I think the reason was I was thiamine deficient which caused me to be high serotonin (thiamine is required to clear serotonin from the brain). Methylene blue is an MAO inhibitor.

Right now I've had no negative reaction to the MB aside from when I first started taking it gave me diarrhea. I asked Mark Sloan about it and he said that was a good sign of my body clearing toxins. So after I backed off it then I reintroduced and it and I've been fine since then and the diarrhea stopped.
Ray Peat's not a fan of increasing methylation so I don't try to do that. But I do take riboflavin.

View: https://youtu.be/jwVDzaH4XZ4?t=2779

I was taking the methylene vitamins to help my liver and my lymphatic system cause when I had stopped it and tried to go off it my lymphatic system got bogged down.
That's a real horse dose of niacinamide. That would make me loopy. I take 90mg, 4Xday. High dose niacinamide makes my brain hurt.
With the Niacinamide I was trying to read all the post on here about it and it seemed safe to just try more. Since my sensitivities are pretty abundant and it was helping my hip pain I just tried more but maybe I'll back off.
The first time I took a higher dose of thiamine hcl (around 300mg), all my inflammation disappeared within 45 minutes, and my body temperature increased a full degree. Cold hands/feet points to hypothyroidism (and/or thiamine deficiency). Each of these interfere with oxidative metabolism.
Do you have a specific brand of the thiamine HCL that you take?
This is all great information and I appreciate all your feedback and info you are giving me, so thank you very much.

mostlylurking

I was taking the methylene vitamins to help my liver and my lymphatic system cause when I had stopped it and tried to go off it my lymphatic system got bogged down.
We are each on our own individual health journey so each of us has to feel our way along. I rely on Ray Peat's advice over what I read on the forum.
handy search engine links:
PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless (use the cell that excludes the forum)
Keep in mind that methylene blue is a lab dye. People don't get deficiencies in lab dyes. I've had high serotonin issues for years so taking an MAO inhibitor doesn't work for me. Do your own research.
With the Niacinamide I was trying to read all the post on here about it and it seemed safe to just try more. Since my sensitivities are pretty abundant and it was helping my hip pain I just tried more but maybe I'll back off.
Ray Peat advises small doses of niacinamide (90mg). It is a water soluble vitamin so it clears the system in about 2 hours. It's better to take several small doses rather than one big one.

Is your hip pain in the joint or in the muscle?
Do you have a specific brand of the thiamine HCL that you take?
This is all great information and I appreciate all your feedback and info you are giving me, so thank you very much.
I have used thiamine hcl bulk pure powder from bulksupplements.com and also from purebulk.com. Thiamine hcl gets absorbed in the small intestine. It doesn't absorb very well so higher doses are needed. I am currently experimenting with a sublingual form of thiamine; it is thiamine mononitrate instead of thiamine hcl. The fact that it has "nitrate" is worrisome to me but the dose is 100mg/day instead of the 2000mg (2grams)/day I usually take of the thiamine hcl. The downside of the mononitrate form is that there's a higher risk of kidney stones. I've got to make a decision which form to take and I need to experiment in order to make the decision.

amd

This was posted before ..

"Methylation, a methyl group-consuming reaction, plays a key role in the degradation (i.e., inactivation) of monoamine neurotransmitters, including catecholamines, serotonin and histamine. Without labile methyl groups, the methylation-mediated degradation cannot take place. Although high niacin (nicotinic acid and nicotinamide) intake, which is very common nowadays, is known to deplete the body's methyl-group pool, its effect on monoamine-neurotransmitter degradation is not well understood.

The aim of this article was to investigate the effect of excess nicotinamide on the levels of plasma serotonin and histamine in healthy subjects. Urine and venous blood samples were collected from nine healthy male volunteers before and after oral loading with 100 mg nicotinamide. Plasma N(1)-methylnicotinamide, urinary N(1)-methyl-2-pyridone-5-carboxamide (2-Py), and plasma betaine levels were measured by using high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). Plasma concentrations of choline, serotonin and histamine were measured using commercial kits.

The results showed that the plasma N(1)-methylnicotinamide level and the urinary excretion of 2-Py significantly increased after oral loading with 100 mg nicotinamide, which was accompanied with a decrease in the methyl-group donor betaine.

Compared with those before nicotinamide load, five-hour postload plasma serotonin and histamine levels significantly increased.

These results suggest that excess nicotinamide can disturb monoamine-neurotransmitter metabolism. These findings may be of significance in understanding the etiology of monoamine-related mental diseases, such as schizophrenia and autism (a neurodevelopmental disorder)."

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Mostlythiamine @mostlylurking
How do you take such doses?
I tried breaking capsules but it's messy.
I've been trying Enegrin by Idealabs, 4-6 drops few times a day but it's bitter AF.

mostlylurking

Mostlythiamine @mostlylurking
How do you take such doses?
I tried breaking capsules but it's messy.
I've been trying Enegrin by Idealabs, 4-6 drops few times a day but it's bitter AF.
I've used thiamine hcl in pure powder form for about 2 years. I measure it out (1 gram) with a measuring spoon (I previously weighed the amount with an accurate digital scale) into a 12 ounce glass of water and chug it down. Tastes terrible. I get the pure powder from bulksupplements.com and also purebulk.com.

I'm currently experimenting with sublingual thiamine mononitrate (100mg). Tastes terrible but if you keep your tongue clamped down tight for 30 minutes, then when you ease up and go back to normal the taste isn't worse than drinking the stuff. I can feel the effect more in my head with the sublingual type than with the dissolved in water type. Thiamine hcl has an iffy time getting absorbed through the small intestinal wall, which is why the oral dose is so high; it doesn't all get passed into the bloodstream whereas the sublingual stuff gets into the system efficiently.

Phosphor

I am somewhat under-methylating as a steady state and just live with it because it's too difficult to not get tossed into over-methylation. I tried nicotinamide and did not do well with it. I have no idea why, but have tried it more than once with negative consequences.

mostlylurking

I am somewhat under-methylating as a steady state and just live with it because it's too difficult to not get tossed into over-methylation. I tried nicotinamide and did not do well with it. I have no idea why, but have tried it more than once with negative consequences.

"If suboptimal riboflavin status is truly widespread, and if that is the reason why the C667T and the A1298C polymorphisms lower MTHFR activity, it suggests that riboflavin should really be central to our thinking of how to deal with methylation issues."

OP
M

MattyG27

We are each on our own individual health journey so each of us has to feel our way along. I rely on Ray Peat's advice over what I read on the forum.
handy search engine links:

PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless (use the cell that excludes the forum)
Thanks for this.....
Keep in mind that methylene blue is a lab dye. People don't get deficiencies in lab dyes. I've had high serotonin issues for years so taking an MAO inhibitor doesn't work for me. Do your own research.
I wasn't taking the MB due to the deficiencies, I was taking it to help my mitochondria due to my cells being very dehydrated on a daily basis . I'm using that and red light therapy to help hydrate my cell because I can't take water with minerals in it because I'm sensitive to the minerals.

Ray Peat advises small doses of niacinamide (90mg). It is a water soluble vitamin so it clears the system in about 2 hours. It's better to take several small doses rather than one big one.
Can you send a link to the product you are taking please?
Is your hip pain in the joint or in the muscle?
It's usually the muscles going on spasm but its always in the hip joint area of those muscles. So, what usually happens is if I eat something I'm sensitive to then it will affect my hips for usually around 3 days. After I get it out of my body by going to the bathroom for 3 days it will usually get better.
How about yours?

I have used thiamine hcl bulk pure powder from bulksupplements.com and also from purebulk.com. Thiamine hcl gets absorbed in the small intestine. It doesn't absorb very well so higher doses are needed. I am currently experimenting with a sublingual form of thiamine; it is thiamine mononitrate instead of thiamine hcl. The fact that it has "nitrate" is worrisome to me but the dose is 100mg/day instead of the 2000mg (2grams)/day I usually take of the thiamine hcl. The downside of the mononitrate form is that there's a higher risk of kidney stones. I've got to make a decision which form to take and I need to experiment in order to make the decision.
I went on and bought the sublingual B1 and figured I'd try it. Since it absorbs right into to the blood stream I wonder if I'll still be sensitive to it. Maybe @haidut can answer me that question?

Again all great info thanks for your replies.

mostlylurking

I wasn't taking the MB due to the deficiencies, I was taking it to help my mitochondria due to my cells being very dehydrated on a daily basis . I'm using that and red light therapy to help hydrate my cell because I can't take water with minerals in it because I'm sensitive to the minerals.
Why do you think MB will help with cell dehydration? What symptoms do you have that point to cell dehydration? Mitochondria get damaged and die and need to be regenerated/replaced. Red light is supposed to help with that, but I don't know anything about how MB is supposed to help with that.
So I looked and I found this:
"Methylene blue (MB) is a well-established drug with a long history of use, owing to its diverse range of use and its minimal side effect profile. MB has been used classically for the treatment of malaria, methemoglobinemia, and carbon monoxide poisoning, as well as a histological dye. Its role in the mitochondria, however, has elicited much of its renewed interest in recent years. MB can reroute electrons in the mitochondrial electron transfer chain directly from NADH to cytochrome c, increasing the activity of complex IV and effectively promoting mitochondrial activity while mitigating oxidative stress. In addition to its beneficial effect on mitochondrial protection, MB is also known to have robust effects in mitigating neuroinflammation. Mitochondrial dysfunction has been identified as a seemingly unifying pathological phenomenon across a wide range of neurodegenerative disorders, which thus positions methylene blue as a promising therapeutic. In both in vitro and in vivo studies, MB has shown impressive efficacy in mitigating neurodegeneration and the accompanying behavioral phenotypes in animal models for such conditions as stroke, global cerebral ischemia, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and traumatic brain injury. This review summarizes recent work establishing MB as a promising candidate for neuroprotection, with particular emphasis on the contribution of mitochondrial function to neural health."

I searched for info on "cellular dehydration" and found this article:
"An electrolyte stress overload basically means that you have an excess of certain mineral salts and a deficient amount of fluids in the cells. This often results in high blood pressure and/or elevated or abnormal pulses, as well as edema (tissue fluid retention). Accompanying this is often a high blood volume as well. This excess of mineral salts and tissue fluids increases stress on the heart and kidneys, greatly contributing to CVD.

"While it is true that salt can cause hypertension and congestive heart failure by raising blood volume, it is not the only cause. Actually for people with the opposite imbalance (electrolyte insufficiency) sodium is very necessary to raise blood volume and to increase cardiovascular function. if the cells of the body are too tight (anaerobic), nutrients cannot penetrate into the cell. Remember how I said that electrolyte stress involves deficient fluids in the cells? This means that people with edema and high blood pressure are very often dehydrated! Abnormal variations of cell membranes can inhibit how electrolytes are used in the cell.

"Major causes of electrolyte stress also include aluminum toxicity, drinking chemically treated tap water that contains fluoride, chlorine, and not drinking enough water."

You might find the whole article of interest.

Can you send a link to the product you are taking please?
It's usually the muscles going on spasm but its always in the hip joint area of those muscles. So, what usually happens is if I eat something I'm sensitive to then it will affect my hips for usually around 3 days. After I get it out of my body by going to the bathroom for 3 days it will usually get better.
How about yours?
My pain feels like it's coming from the joint but I interpret it as inflammation in the area. It's triggered mainly by nightshade plants (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers) and also by gluten. I think that the health of my gut lining is part of it; if I focus on keeping it happy/healthy the pain issue is solved; part of that is not eating these foods.
I went on and bought the sublingual B1 and figured I'd try it. Since it absorbs right into to the blood stream I wonder if I'll still be sensitive to it. Maybe @haidut can answer me that question?
I found that breaking the tablets in half and trying half a tab for a few days helped me acclimate to taking it this way. I've also figured out that my pain issue is occurring in the evening now so I'm going to try a part of a tab in the early afternoon in addition to the whole tab in the morning. I'm also not so happy with my dinginess in the morning; I think my head isn't working as well as it was on the plain old thiamine hcl in water, 1 gram twice a day. I don't know, it's confusing; still trying to sort out which works better for me.

OP
M

MattyG27

Why do you think MB will help with cell dehydration? What symptoms do you have that point to cell dehydration? Mitochondria get damaged and die and need to be regenerated/replaced. Red light is supposed to help with that, but I don't know anything about how MB is supposed to help with that.
So I looked and I found this:
"Methylene blue (MB) is a well-established drug with a long history of use, owing to its diverse range of use and its minimal side effect profile. MB has been used classically for the treatment of malaria, methemoglobinemia, and carbon monoxide poisoning, as well as a histological dye. Its role in the mitochondria, however, has elicited much of its renewed interest in recent years. MB can reroute electrons in the mitochondrial electron transfer chain directly from NADH to cytochrome c, increasing the activity of complex IV and effectively promoting mitochondrial activity while mitigating oxidative stress. In addition to its beneficial effect on mitochondrial protection, MB is also known to have robust effects in mitigating neuroinflammation. Mitochondrial dysfunction has been identified as a seemingly unifying pathological phenomenon across a wide range of neurodegenerative disorders, which thus positions methylene blue as a promising therapeutic. In both in vitro and in vivo studies, MB has shown impressive efficacy in mitigating neurodegeneration and the accompanying behavioral phenotypes in animal models for such conditions as stroke, global cerebral ischemia, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and traumatic brain injury. This review summarizes recent work establishing MB as a promising candidate for neuroprotection, with particular emphasis on the contribution of mitochondrial function to neural health."
So I read Mark Sloan's books on Red Light Therapy and also MB. When used together they help your body significantly from a cellular level which is what I gathered from the books. I also just did a course from Carrie B wellness that discusses how they make what's called E2 water in the cells and help hydrate them. Since I can't drink water with minerals in it I'm just trying anyway to hydrate my body that I can.

I searched for info on "cellular dehydration" and found this article:
"An electrolyte stress overload basically means that you have an excess of certain mineral salts and a deficient amount of fluids in the cells. This often results in high blood pressure and/or elevated or abnormal pulses, as well as edema (tissue fluid retention). Accompanying this is often a high blood volume as well. This excess of mineral salts and tissue fluids increases stress on the heart and kidneys, greatly contributing to CVD.
I did read this article, thank you. However, my body is still sensitive to the electrolytes and sodium(being a mineral) in the water.
"While it is true that salt can cause hypertension and congestive heart failure by raising blood volume, it is not the only cause. Actually for people with the opposite imbalance (electrolyte insufficiency) sodium is very necessary to raise blood volume and to increase cardiovascular function. if the cells of the body are too tight (anaerobic), nutrients cannot penetrate into the cell. Remember how I said that electrolyte stress involves deficient fluids in the cells? This means that people with edema and high blood pressure are very often dehydrated! Abnormal variations of cell membranes can inhibit how electrolytes are used in the cell.

"Major causes of electrolyte stress also include aluminum toxicity, drinking chemically treated tap water that contains fluoride, chlorine, and not drinking enough water."

You might find the whole article of interest.

My pain feels like it's coming from the joint but I interpret it as inflammation in the area. It's triggered mainly by nightshade plants (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers) and also by gluten. I think that the health of my gut lining is part of it; if I focus on keeping it happy/healthy the pain issue is solved; part of that is not eating these foods.
My pain is trigger by anything my body is sensitive to now, which completely sucks, as you can imagine. I understand what you are saying about keeping the gut healthy and happy but I tried that for years and it was just a roller coaster that never seemed to end and is still going on.

In terms of my pain, for example, my right lateral hamstring will go into spasm if I have something I'm sensitive to. However, when I started taking the Niacinamide(500mg pills) I quickly noticed that my hamstring loosened up. So, it SEEMS to me, that you might have the same effect with the thiamine and that's giving you relief. However in that way I guess we are different, cause I just got the thiamine tablets that dissolve and took them the last 3 days and I don't get any type of relief from them. If I take the Niacinamide(another 500mg) later in the day thou it helps my hamstrings even more. That leaves me wondering how much I would be able to take during the day and maybe it would completely rid me of my issue. In one of @haidut podcasts with Danny Roddy he speaks about taking 3 Grams of Niacinamide for a month to inhibit the release of free fatty acid. However, is that 3 grams a day, week or what?(@haidut ). The only issues I see with taking that much from my experience so far is it gives you a lot of energy. So I couldn't really take it at night.

I found that breaking the tablets in half and trying half a tab for a few days helped me acclimate to taking it this way. I've also figured out that my pain issue is occurring in the evening now so I'm going to try a part of a tab in the early afternoon in addition to the whole tab in the morning. I'm also not so happy with my dinginess in the morning; I think my head isn't working as well as it was on the plain old thiamine hcl in water, 1 gram twice a day. I don't know, it's confusing; still trying to sort out which works better for me.

mostlylurking

So I read Mark Sloan's books on Red Light Therapy and also MB. When used together they help your body significantly from a cellular level which is what I gathered from the books. I also just did a course from Carrie B wellness that discusses how they make what's called E2 water in the cells and help hydrate them. Since I can't drink water with minerals in it I'm just trying anyway to hydrate my body that I can.
It's my understanding that the red light therapy + MB is supposed to increase/improve cytochrome-c oxidase.

Have you done lab tests to confirm the idea that your minerals are too high and so cannot tolerate water with minerals? Do you know which minerals you're too high in?

However, my body is still sensitive to the electrolytes and sodium(being a mineral) in the water.
Have you tried taking epsom salts baths or salt baths?
My pain is trigger by anything my body is sensitive to now, which completely sucks, as you can imagine. I understand what you are saying about keeping the gut healthy and happy but I tried that for years and it was just a roller coaster that never seemed to end and is still going on.
Been there, done that. It's a terrible place to be, the sensitive to everything. Mine was initially caused by the overload of my immune system via organo-phosphate poisoning (fire ant poison). I came close to dying. The doctor detoxed me to lower the toxin load my body had accumulated via 40 years of living, which included EDTA IV chelation for the heavy metals accumulation.

The gut needs thiamine and magnesium to heal and stay healthy.
In terms of my pain, for example, my right lateral hamstring will go into spasm if I have something I'm sensitive to. However, when I started taking the Niacinamide(500mg pills) I quickly noticed that my hamstring loosened up. So, it SEEMS to me, that you might have the same effect with the thiamine and that's giving you relief. However in that way I guess we are different, cause I just got the thiamine tablets that dissolve and took them the last 3 days and I don't get any type of relief from them. If I take the Niacinamide(another 500mg) later in the day thou it helps my hamstrings even more. That leaves me wondering how much I would be able to take during the day and maybe it would completely rid me of my issue. In one of @haidut podcasts with Danny Roddy he speaks about taking 3 Grams of Niacinamide for a month to inhibit the release of free fatty acid. However, is that 3 grams a day, week or what?(@haidut ). The only issues I see with taking that much from my experience so far is it gives you a lot of energy. So I couldn't really take it at night.
The reason why I ask about the baths is because your hamstring spasm sounds like magnesium deficiency. I've been through that; things would seize up when I was asleep at night in my legs and feet and I would have to stand up and get my foot flat on the floor to pull the cramp out. Mine was magnesium deficiency, which is pretty common. Epsom salts baths helped a lot.

People really do need magnesium and salt; it helps with the electrical system. Thiamine is needed by the autonomic nervous system.

If you feel improvement from the niacinamide then I think it would by a good idea to learn as much as you can about what niaminamide does because this might lead you to more understanding. Here's a link to a collection of Ray Peat quotes on niacinamide: Ray Peat, PhD Quotes on Therapeutic Effects of Niacinamide – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Last edited:
OP
M

MattyG27

It's my understanding that the red light therapy + MB is supposed to increase/improve cytochrome-c oxidase.

Have you done lab tests to confirm the idea that your minerals are too high and so cannot tolerate water with minerals? Do you know which minerals you're too high in?
I have gotten a biofeedback scan thru Zyto software that shows all the things your body is reacting to. I have also had de-sensitivity training thru that software that worked for a little bit but then things came back. I am actually still finishing the treatments.

Have you tried taking epsom salts baths or salt baths?
I have not but will try. I also have magnesium body cream thru JigSaw Health that I use from time to time on skin.
Been there, done that. It's a terrible place to be, the sensitive to everything. Mine was initially caused by the overload of my immune system via organo-phosphate poisoning (fire ant poison). I came close to dying. The doctor detoxed me to lower the toxin load my body had accumulated via 40 years of living, which included EDTA IV chelation for the heavy metals accumulation.

The gut needs thiamine and magnesium to heal and stay healthy.
Are you just taking 1 of the B1 dissolving tablets a day?
The reason why I ask about the baths is because your hamstring spasm sounds like magnesium deficiency. I've been through that; things would seize up when I was asleep at night in my legs and feet and I would have to stand up and get my foot flat on the floor to pull the cramp out. Mine was magnesium deficiency, which is pretty common. Epsom salts baths helped a lot.

People really do need magnesium and salt; it helps with the electrical system. Thiamine is needed by the autonomic nervous system.

If you feel improvement from the niacinamide then I think it would by a good idea to learn as much as you can about what niaminamide does because this might lead you to more understanding. Here's a link to a collection of Ray Peat quotes on niacinamide: Ray Peat, PhD Quotes on Therapeutic Effects of Niacinamide – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
How are you treating yourself with the B3, meaning how are you measuring it into 4 equal doses thru-out the day with the powder?
I've been going thru those article the last few days, thanks again. Is there a reason you are not incorporating aspirin in along with the magnesium and Niacinamide?

mostlylurking

I have gotten a biofeedback scan thru Zyto software that shows all the things your body is reacting to. I have also had de-sensitivity training thru that software that worked for a little bit but then things came back. I am actually still finishing the treatments.
Well, I did a quick search and found this: ZYTO Scanning: Another Test to Avoid | Quackwatch
So, I dunno.

I did a search at the FDA for Zyto Biontology; nothing showed up but I dunno.

The concept sounds fabulous, maybe too good to be true?

I'm pretty cynical about medical mumbo jumbo because I've been damaged by several doctors in the past. Sorry. I trust Ray Peat and I've gotten pretty good at listening to my body.
I have not but will try. I also have magnesium body cream thru JigSaw Health that I use from time to time on skin.
Your body needs magnesium everyday. It's an important one. Epsom salts baths can be revealing via your reaction to it. Make sure the bath isn't too hot and stay in it as long as reasonably possible (30+ minutes at least).

If you are hypothyroid, your body isn't able to hold onto magnesium as well which can be problematic.

Calcium and magnesium are both very important and are needed in greater amounts by the body than the other trace minerals.
also:
Are you just taking 1 of the B1 dissolving tablets a day?
I tried the single B1 thiamine mononitrate sublingual tabs and was strongly aware of the reaction to it so I know that it does get into the body extremely well. However, after a few days of taking one 100mg tab/day, I decided that I feel better when taking thiamine hcl. I use a bulk powder of it and measure out a gram into water at 10:00 am and again at 4:00pm (= 2 grams/day). The dosage for oral thiamine hcl is large because it is difficult to absorb via the intestine. Sublingual dosing is similar to injection dosing (100mg is the norm). Dr. Costantini explained that taking 2 grams of thiamine hcl for seven days equals to taking one 100mg injection of thiamine hcl per week.
How are you treating yourself with the B3, meaning how are you measuring it into 4 equal doses thru-out the day with the powder?
I use a bulk powder niacinamide. I weighed out a 1/16th of a teaspoon (a 1/32nd teaspoon?) which weighed close to 90mg and this is the measuring spoon I use for my doses of niacinamide. I take it 4 X day.
I've been going thru those article the last few days, thanks again. Is there a reason you are not incorporating aspirin in along with the magnesium and Niacinamide?
I took pretty high doses of aspirin, about 3 aspirins worth (I use the pure powder) 1-2 times a day for around 5-6 years after I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. However, since I've been taking the 2 grams/day of thiamine hcl, I no longer feel the need for the aspirin so I've pretty much stopped taking it. I only feel the need for it maybe once a month if I've been really active digging in the garden.

OP
M

MattyG27

Well, I did a quick search and found this: ZYTO Scanning: Another Test to Avoid | Quackwatch
So, I dunno.

I did a search at the FDA for Zyto Biontology; nothing showed up but I dunno.

The concept sounds fabulous, maybe too good to be true?

I'm pretty cynical about medical mumbo jumbo because I've been damaged by several doctors in the past. Sorry. I trust Ray Peat and I've gotten pretty good at listening to my body.
Thank you again for sending all these articles. It just takes me a few days to get thru them before I respond.

Anyway I did ready all about Zyto Scans and did actually read that article too. But then I was also able to find info that said patients and doctors said it worked for them and helped. At the time I just figured I'll give it a try cause nothing else was working for me. I can said that it certain does something even thou that article says it's total BS. I say that because it gave me a pretty similar effect as to me taking niacinamide. What I mean by that is I was having mucus coming out in my stool and my pain in my hips was subsiding from time to time. However, unfortunately it didn't seem to last very long.

Your body needs magnesium everyday. It's an important one. Epsom salts baths can be revealing via your reaction to it. Make sure the bath isn't too hot and stay in it as long as reasonably possible (30+ minutes at least).

If you are hypothyroid, your body isn't able to hold onto magnesium as well which can be problematic.

Calcium and magnesium are both very important and are needed in greater amounts by the body than the other trace minerals.
also:
I ready those article but it doesn't really say how to take the calcium other then get it by foods. I don't drink Milk, only almost milk but I was going to try to start drinking it again. Almond Milk does have a good amount of calcium in it but I'm assuming I need more for my body to use magnesium.

I tried the single B1 thiamine mononitrate sublingual tabs and was strongly aware of the reaction to it so I know that it does get into the body extremely well. However, after a few days of taking one 100mg tab/day, I decided that I feel better when taking thiamine hcl. I use a bulk powder of it and measure out a gram into water at 10:00 am and again at 4:00pm (= 2 grams/day). The dosage for oral thiamine hcl is large because it is difficult to absorb via the intestine. Sublingual dosing is similar to injection dosing (100mg is the norm). Dr. Costantini explained that taking 2 grams of thiamine hcl for seven days equals to taking one 100mg injection of thiamine hcl per week.

I actually took 3 of those 100mg tablets yesterday and then just realized that article you sent says that's 1 week dose. In the article above the women says she was taking 1200 mg of B1. The one thing I can say is today my tongue isn't so dry and I'm not dehydrated like I usually am. My sense of taste and smell isn't better thou and my vision is still blurry and need my contacts. When things are getting better those senses usually get better for me.

I use a bulk powder niacinamide. I weighed out a 1/16th of a teaspoon (a 1/32nd teaspoon?) which weighed close to 90mg and this is the measuring spoon I use for my doses of niacinamide. I take it 4 X day.

I took pretty high doses of aspirin, about 3 aspirins worth (I use the pure powder) 1-2 times a day for around 5-6 years after I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. However, since I've been taking the 2 grams/day of thiamine hcl, I no longer feel the need for the aspirin so I've pretty much stopped taking it. I only feel the need for it maybe once a month if I've been really active digging in the garden.
Have you tried pregnenolone and progesterone at all? What do you feel the aspirin helped with and why did you stop that dosage?

mostlylurking

Thank you again for sending all these articles. It just takes me a few days to get thru them before I respond.
You're welcome.
Anyway I did ready all about Zyto Scans and did actually read that article too. But then I was also able to find info that said patients and doctors said it worked for them and helped. At the time I just figured I'll give it a try cause nothing else was working for me. I can said that it certain does something even thou that article says it's total BS. I say that because it gave me a pretty similar effect as to me taking niacinamide. What I mean by that is I was having mucus coming out in my stool and my pain in my hips was subsiding from time to time. However, unfortunately it didn't seem to last very long.
I suspect that the Zyto Scans may work at influencing the patient to trust the doctor; if the doctor knows what they're doing then their advice would probably help the patient. And if the doctor is clueless then the results wouldn't be so good. I've never experienced a Zyto Scan, but I have had at least two doctors use the old "hold this supplement bottle and I'll test your arm strength to determine if you need this one" routine. The first time, the supplement helped I think but with the second doctor I just thought the whole routine was ridiculous and asked for blood tests instead.
I ready those article but it doesn't really say how to take the calcium other then get it by foods. I don't drink Milk, only almost milk but I was going to try to start drinking it again. Almond Milk does have a good amount of calcium in it but I'm assuming I need more for my body to use magnesium.
Almonds milk has PUFA in it. Not a good idea. I remember Ray Peat saying 2 quarts of milk has the ideal amount of calcium in it for a day. I think that = to 2.4 grams of calcium. So if you can't drink milk then the next best thing is ground egg shells from organic free range eggs. But the milk has lactose in it which helps (somehow) with getting the calcium into the bones? Peat said that somewhere, I just know he did.
I actually took 3 of those 100mg tablets yesterday and then just realized that article you sent says that's 1 week dose. In the article above the women says she was taking 1200 mg of B1. The one thing I can say is today my tongue isn't so dry and I'm not dehydrated like I usually am. My sense of taste and smell isn't better thou and my vision is still blurry and need my contacts. When things are getting better those senses usually get better for me.
Did you do them sublingually or did you just swallow them? They are very strong if done sublingually, not much help if you just swallowed them.
Have you tried pregnenolone and progesterone at all? What do you feel the aspirin helped with and why did you stop that dosage?
I take pregnenolone and progesterone daily. Aspirin helped with the rheumatoid arthritis and the estrogen dominance but I don't seem to need it anymore so I forget to take it.