Niacinamide And Depression

Whichway?

Can single doses of 250mg niacinamide make depression worse? I am struggling with unemployment at the moment so I know I feel bad, but when I took a dose of niacinamide this morning it’s like I felt acutely worse and haven’t been able to snap out of a low mood about it all day.

Can it exacerbate depression, or do you think it has just enhanced my mental state so I am more ware of my underlying mood?

mbachiu

Niacinamide will help with depression long term, but if it is not fuelled properly, then it can make you feel worse. Ensure you are using enough sugar with it. I’m sorry you’re doing poorly :(

JCastro

It seemed to make me depressed and intolerant to other substances like caffeine. Ray recommends 50-100mg several times a day as opposed to larger doses once per day, but he's so skeptical of supplements and their toxicity that he seems to emphasize niacinamide's presence in foods rather than in a pill or powder. It could be the manufacturing process or excipients in your product contributing to your depression, or for some nebulous biochemical reason, supraphysiological-dose niacinamide is not for you. I do not agree that it's simply increasing your awareness, based on my experience. You're getting your answer by experience as opposed to the theory of what's supposed to happen. The advice of backing it up with calories is worth trying, maybe trying a different brand, but I'd stop after that if it continues.

It could potentially make you fat. Depression and unemployment aggravated by obesity is a hardcore life storm. I've been there. Leave niacinamide for better days and better circumstances.

Kunstruct

While I have read about the people who talk about Niacinamide changing their life into much more positive and even curing them of various skin issues, I must say I have not noticed that with Niacinamide on any level. Can actually calm me down or even cause me headaches, I feel like headaches are depressing, can't really do much while I would have them. But I have not really taken it often just did some experimenting with it.

I don't do good on B3, neither. I don't know why that is, but it might be related to the topic of 'methylation'. Chris Materjohn says that high-dose niacin (and it seems high-dose would be everything above 35mg/day) will lower your methyl groups. And that a loss of methyl groups can lead to different health problems, including depression and mood disorders.

Here are two interesting videos of him on this topic (he's got even more videos about niacin):

LeeLemonoil

Positive allosteric Modulation of some GabaR-subunits can aggravate depression, at least it’s described in newer literature.
Niacinamide can do that.

Velve921

Can single doses of 250mg niacinamide make depression worse? I am struggling with unemployment at the moment so I know I feel bad, but when I took a dose of niacinamide this morning it’s like I felt acutely worse and haven’t been able to snap out of a low mood about it all day.

Can it exacerbate depression, or do you think it has just enhanced my mental state so I am more ware of my underlying mood?

Sugar will be largely helpful to have with niacinamide. If I do a dose with not enough sugar I feel pretty bad.

I would start doing only 50mg at a time and make sure food is sufficient with it.

OP
W

Whichway?

I would start doing only 50mg at a time and make sure food is sufficient with it.

It would be great to find supplements that have more physiological doses of single B vitamins, but I haven’t seen any in AUS. My niacinamide is a tablet that contains 500mg and that was the smallest dose I could find at the shop. I would have to cut the tablet into tenths to get 50mg which isn’t very practical.

Velve921

It would be great to find supplements that have more physiological doses of single B vitamins, but I haven’t seen any in AUS. My niacinamide is a tablet that contains 500mg and that was the smallest dose I could find at the shop. I would have to cut the tablet into tenths to get 50mg which isn’t very practical.

I use powder from Pure Bulk.

Kingpinguin

I don't do good on B3, neither. I don't know why that is, but it might be related to the topic of 'methylation'. Chris Materjohn says that high-dose niacin (and it seems high-dose would be everything above 35mg/day) will lower your methyl groups. And that a loss of methyl groups can lead to different health problems, including depression and mood disorders.

Here are two interesting videos of him on this topic (he's got even more videos about niacin):

is this for niacin only or niacinamide. Chris only mentions niacin over and over?

Orangeyouglad

I don't do well with Niacinamide either (but it makes my skin look fantastic).

I get very irritable. For a long time I didn't know what to chalk it up to, but after testing, adding it in and taking it out multiple times, it certainly is the Niacinamide.

I have chalked this up to Methylation as well, although I don't know if it means I'm an under or over methylator, or what other substances would help me.

japanesedude

niacinamide is a really good antistress vitamin. I take 500mg everymorning and It makes me calm.
but this calming effect makes me feel bit lethargic sometimes.

Jem Oz

Fellow Aussie. I get powder caps from iherb and take a tiny sprinkle at a time. Works well

mostlylurking

Ray Peat repeatedly says to only take niacinamide, never niacin or nicotinamide riboside, I think because these two release histamine.

I have learned that taking niacinamide and thiamine (about 90 mg, 2Xday - Bulk Supplements powder) helps me a lot. I have rheumatoid arthritis and if I have a day where my inflammation is high anyway I can get it to subside so I can function pretty well by taking another 90 mg of niacinamide along with about 650 mg of aspirin. The niacinamide seems to supercharge the aspirin. They both reduce free fatty acids in the blood so I suspect that I still have a PUFA issue, although I've been obsessively avoiding PUFA for five years. I'm about 20 pounds overweight (still).

It appears that niacinamide is vasoconstrictive and therefore lowers the flow of nitric oxide in the brain, possibly causing depression or a more lethargic mood.

It can probably also cause a drop in dopamine ... always better to consume it with a meal rich in carbohydrates and proteins so as to be able to balance the probable drop in methylation ... better if with foods containing betaine.

I've always had adverse effects too, but consuming it as written above solved many of its side effects.

(I don't use high dosages, max 200mg per day to improve my glucose tolerance along with B1).

I disagree with those who wrote that "it can make you fat" but on the contrary ... if you have insulin resistance and consume a diet rich in carbohydrates and proteins with fats under control ... it makes a difference in weight loss .

Of course, you don't have to consume 100g of fat per day.