Niacinamide - A Potent Anti-anxiety Drug

haidut

Forum Supporter
For those of you who are interested, and believe in the receptor theory (Ray Peat does not I think), here is some interesting info. Niacinamide in human doses of 1500mg - 3000mg daily is potent anti-anxiety drug similar in action to the benzodiazepine class of drugs like Diazepam, Valium, and Xanax.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6101294
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6125374
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7913840

I can personally attest to the fact that anything above 1500mg dosage at once makes me the mellowest, nicest...and sleepiest person:):

honeybee

Do or Did you ever get headaches from high dosage? Did you work your way up to taking high doses?

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Has anyone else experimented with higher doses of niacinamide?

Peata

I did a couple times several years back. The first time it made me drowsy and I took a nap. The second time it made me nauseous and feel bad. I didn't take high doses anymore after that. Maybe if I'd experimented more, but I just didn't.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I just did 500mg so will see what happens.

4peatssake

Charlie said:

sterns_bonvoyage_6jul91_a.jpg

HDD

:rolling

Thanks for the laugh this morning!

Peata

I've thought about getting some more and trying it again, since back when I took it before I didn't have the best diet and was under extreme stress, so I'm sure my body chemistry was askew.

jyb

Charlie said:

That's the content of just one pill from the brand I have, so I doubt you'll see much difference. I mean I usually open the pill to get 50mg for a physiological dose, but the common user takes the whole pill.

Dewitt

I took up to 5g for a while and didn't really notice any effect from it.

Ben

I'm taking about 3g of niacinamide a day, but I doubt I could handle more without nausea. I read that overmethylators, people with lots of monoamines, respond badly to SSRIs, but well to benzodiazepines. I tend to side with on this side of the scale and responded badly to Benadryl and well to Tianeptine.

Anyway, benzodiazepines slow respiratory rate. This is beneficial due to CO2 building up. However, I'm uncertain of whether GABAergic depressants can slow respiration in the long-term, or if tolerance builds up and that effect disappears.

M

member 2106

I'm taking about 3g of niacinamide a day, but I doubt I could handle more without nausea. I read that overmethylators, people with lots of monoamines, respond badly to SSRIs, but well to benzodiazepines. I tend to side with on this side of the scale and responded badly to Benadryl and well to Tianeptine.

Anyway, benzodiazepines slow respiratory rate. This is beneficial due to CO2 building up. However, I'm uncertain of whether GABAergic depressants can slow respiration in the long-term, or if tolerance builds up and that effect disappears.

Hey Ben, I know this is an old post, but can you expand more on the concept of "overmethylators"? I respond well to benzodiazepines but badly (with limited experience) to SSRIs. I'm planning to supplement with niacinamide to see if it has any anti-anxiety effects for me. I had a quick look at what an "overmethylator" was, and found it striking how many traits I had in common. Any further insight?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals