Niacin Positive Effects (mood Especially)

marsaday

I would be interested to hear other peoples experiences with niacin.

I bought some a while back but only tried the tablets the other day. I have taken a 50mcg tablet most nights this week. I first took it last saturday night while watching tv in bed and noticed i was getting really hot and started to flush. It was a good experience.

So since then i have tried to take it with some food at bedtime to reduce the flush.

Anyway i have felt really good this week in mood and i have noticed my forearm / elbow areas are not nearly as painful (i have been experiencing arthritis symptoms in my arms this last year).

Last night i didn't take any niacin and today i have felt very low in mood. When i got home this evening immediately took a niacin tablet with my meal. Lets hope it works its magic.

So on further reading it seems niacin has many benefits: reduces cholesterol, helps with arthritis, helps with anxiety or mood issues. However, i think you need to take quite a bit to get these positive effects and i have only been taking a small dose of 50mg per day.

I would be interested in hearing:

other peoples experiences

what is niacin doing to help with the mood and arthritis ? Is the niacins effect on cholesterol having a beneficial impact on other areas. i.e., is more cholesterol now being made available to be turned into steroid hormones and so helping thyroid action ? I don't know, just trying to make some connections for myself.

I am mid 40's male, and take 125 T4 per day for my hypothyroidism. I also use 3 drops of progestE oil per day as the progesterone really helps. Generally i do well, but my mood could be better and i have noticed these pains in my arms this last year.

Last edited:
not noticed any real mood changes with it myself...maybe I'll take some more :)

taking around 500mg or so once or twice a day

Mittir

Are you taking Niacin or Niacinamide? I guess you meant 50 mg , not 50 microgram.
RP does not recommend regular Niacin, this increases histamine and serotonin.
I took niacinamide 50 to 100 mg twice a day for years, it has an amazing positive
effect on health, mood and sleep. It blocks PUFA release and that is the main source of benefit.

Peater Piper

My only experience with Niacin was when I took it for two days when my doctor prescribed it for a cholesterol level of 230. The second dose made me feel like I had a horrible case of sunburn and I was bright red all over. That was the last dose I took. The cholesterol went down when I stopped eating 1k calorie milkshakes every day. I'm glad you're having a good experience with it though. It seems Niacin and Niacinamide can have very differing results.

OP
M

marsaday

I have been using niacin, which makes you flush. I feel better this evening after taking 50mg and didn't get a flush as i took it with my meal.

Well i am going to keep on with it and maybe increase as i am on a low dose and it seems to have some good effects.

Peter piper - use niacin as niacin amide doesn't make you flush. The flush is really very good for you. I flushed big time the other night and that is why i missed my dose last night. It looked like i was sunburnt and it really made me itch. It was not so pleasant, but i reckon i can control it better next time with food (tonight with food = no flush).

Been reading a bit about it on some depression forums and a lot of people seem to think it is good for mood.

I have felt great this first week taking it so will report back in the future any other positive effects. I must try and get my cholesterol checked as well.

Pulstar

I'm also having positive results from niacin. It certanly has antidepressive and energizing effect on me and was / is part of my daily supplements. There are many similar testimonials available in google if you search. I was also surprised that majority of people on this forum recommend niacinamide. However, I only started recently applying some of the Peat's principles and possibly that niacinamide is bettter option on the long run. Can niacinamide be converted to niacin in the body?

I understand that it raises histamine but can anyone explain how it raises serotonin?

Saphire

Zinc 97 Range 60-120

Estrone 400 Range 36-68
Estradiol 6 Postmenopause- No HRT: 1-4 pg/ml
BHRT Target Range:- 2-10 pg/ml
Follicular - 2-10 pg/ml
Luteal: 3-16 pg/ml

Estriol 15
Postmenopause- No HRT: 7-18 pg/ml
BHRT Target Range:- 14-38 pg/ml
Cycling female: 12-25 pg/ml

Progesterone 1580
Postmenopause- No HRT: 5-95 pg/ml
BHRT Target Range:- 100-300 pg/ml
Follicular - 20-100 pg/ml
Luteal: 65-500 pg/ml

DHEA 10 Range 3-10
Testosterone 74 Borderline: 6-9 pg/ml Normal: 10-38 pg/ml
Lipoprotein 89.0 Range 29
Autoimmune/collagen test- CPR High sensitivity - .45 (not sure what this one means) Range: Low 1.0, Average 1.0-3.0, High 3.0
Ferritin 51 Range: 11-307
Homocysteine 5.9 Range 3.7-13.9
Vit D 26.7 Range 30.0-100.0
Cortisol Rhythm - all were in normal range
6-8a 16 (13-24)
11-1 8 (5-10)
4-6p 5. (3-8)
10- midnight 3. (1-4)

Leptin 6.3 Range 0.5-15.2
T3, free 4.32 Range 2.52-4.34
TSH .010 Range .270-4.200

The above lab results show my labs done in April this year. I have recently seen a new doctor, which ran more test. As it shows on last testing i have high, progesterone, testosterone & estrone, this doctor only addressed it by telling me to take CDG and eat more cruciferous vegetables.

Fast forward with new Doctor...

I posted labs below. I did not include my lipid test, which is something she focused on. She addressed the high cholesterol and high lipids by putting me on fish oil and niacin. Once again the high testosterone, progesterone & estrone was not addressed either. I am currently 9 days from my cycle, which i really dont have a normal cycle and estrone is through the roof. My skin feels tight and dry, like i could crack. I am miserably bloated. I have read somewhere that niacin causes histamine effects. I have been taking it for 2 weeks. I am also concerned because i have low blood pressure and have read niacin helps lower bp.
I cannot take DIM because it constipates me and so does the high estrogen. I am concerned with taking CDG seeing how i was told it also lowers certain things, like cortisol.

I am a 46 yo female, i do have MTFHR also and i am doing a T3 only regimen...and yes i am taking my vitals. I am just trying to figure out if this miserable feeling of dry skin and bloatedness is caused from estrone or niacin or both..

Below is a list of last vitals from Sept 23rd. I did not include the lipid testing in the list.

Ferritin 64 15-150 ng/ml

TSH 2.28 .27-4.2
Free T4 .45 .93-1.70ng/dl
Free T3 2.1 2.0-4.4 pg/ml

Vit D 40 30-10 ng/ml
B12 1125 500-900 pg/ml
Folate 20.0 12.0-18.0 ng/ml
CoQ10 3.59 .70-1.40 mg/L

HbA1c 5.5 5.7-6.4
Insulin 3 5-159

Magnesium 2.4. 1.6-2.6 mg/dl

These levels for cortisol were done in April, i didnt post them right last time:
Cortisol Rhythm - all were in normal range
6-8a 16 (13-24)
11-1 8 (5-10)
4-6p 5. (3-8)
10- midnight 3. (1-4)

Thanks for any advice you can give me in regards to the above.

Motif

I love the niacin flush and it helps with my histamine symptoms. Non flush doesn't do that.

jet9

I would be interested to hear other peoples experiences with niacin.

I bought some a while back but only tried the tablets the other day. I have taken a 50mcg tablet most nights this week. I first took it last saturday night while watching tv in bed and noticed i was getting really hot and started to flush. It was a good experience.

So since then i have tried to take it with some food at bedtime to reduce the flush.

Anyway i have felt really good this week in mood and i have noticed my forearm / elbow areas are not nearly as painful (i have been experiencing arthritis symptoms in my arms this last year).

Last night i didn't take any niacin and today i have felt very low in mood. When i got home this evening immediately took a niacin tablet with my meal. Lets hope it works its magic.

So on further reading it seems niacin has many benefits: reduces cholesterol, helps with arthritis, helps with anxiety or mood issues. However, i think you need to take quite a bit to get these positive effects and i have only been taking a small dose of 50mg per day.

I would be interested in hearing:

other peoples experiences

what is niacin doing to help with the mood and arthritis ? Is the niacins effect on cholesterol having a beneficial impact on other areas. i.e., is more cholesterol now being made available to be turned into steroid hormones and so helping thyroid action ? I don't know, just trying to make some connections for myself.

I am mid 40's male, and take 125 T4 per day for my hypothyroidism. I also use 3 drops of progestE oil per day as the progesterone really helps. Generally i do well, but my mood could be better and i have noticed these pains in my arms this last year.
marsaday, could you update on your niacin experience ? are you still taking it with good results ?

OP
M

marsaday

I don’t take it. I should give it a go again.

I just couldn’t get the time to do it so I was home and had free time. I still have pains but have been taking testosterone and this has helped with the symptoms.

Readings the thread back does make me think it could be worth introducing it again.

Sorry nothing useful to report