Niacin Helps Me To Fall Asleep. Similar Effect For Anyone Else?

jzeno

The heat and/or flush caused by niacin helps me relax and fall asleep. Does anyone else experience this effect with respect to sleep?

Kray

The heat and/or flush caused by niacin helps me relax and fall asleep. Does anyone else experience this effect with respect to sleep?
Yes, I have noticed that several times, mostly with plain form, not niacinamide, but it was earlier in the day, after a meal. Not sure why the effect. I thought B's generally were to be avoided at bedtime. If niacin is an exception, it would be nice to know.

Mauritio

Yes I have the same experience, but only with flushing niacin.
If it is true what peat says that it liberates histamine ,this doesn't make any sense since sleeping pills are histamine antagonists and histamine is a excitiory neurotransmitter.
this comes from someone who has sleep problems for a long time ,so there is not that many things put me to sleep.

Kray

Yes, I have noticed that several times, mostly with plain form, not niacinamide.
If it is true what peat says that it liberates histamine ,this doesn't make any sense since sleeping pills are histamine antagonists and histamine is a excitiory neurotransmitter.
this comes from someone who has sleep problems for a long time ,so there is not that many things put me to sleep.
Very interesting! Yes, I'm referring to flush niacin, too. Could the flush somehow cause an antihistaminic effect- i.e., make one sleepy?

Last edited:

Yes, I drink a 500 mg capsule with a litre of goat milk after particularly long and stressful days. To experience the flush, I have to take it with the first few bites. When tired, the flush is most effective at inducing sleep. When not tired, the flush feels like a mild recreational drug trip (varies per brand). The vasodilation and heat are most effective as a sleep aid in the winter, and both can just as easily delay sleep in the summer (particularly during the 35-40 degree days we experienced in Europe this year).

redsun

Because niacin reduces noradrenaline/adrenaline, and also causes a relaxing, warming feeling by vasodilation caused by histamine(which niacin raises) and prostaglandins. The catecholamines like noradrenaline and adrenaline are primarily responsible for trouble falling asleep. Its very good for skin healing because of the increased blood flow because the skin capillaries widen.

Mauritio

Very interesting! Yes, I'm referring to flush niacin, too. Could the flush somehow cause an antihistaminic effect- i.e., make one sleepy?
Thats where i was heading to. I have read that it empties histamin stores overtime, but I dont even no if such a thing exists since histamine can easily be created from an amino acid ... also this wouldnt explain why it works even the first time and actually gets less effective with everyday use...so not sure about that idea. But there must be some gabaergic / anti-histamin effect somehow...

ddjd

Yes it's raising nitric oxide.... vasodilation...