Niacin flush was to much!

troubledtimes

I've switched to a very low carb diet I'm doing keto and and cut back on the booze alot plus I'm now down to about 1mg of Klonopin from 1.5. been taking a b complex, b1 and today I tried niacin with a quite intense flush. I knew your face and akin go red. Woke up today and my body temp was a bit cold, decided to take a b complex and niacin and my skin was leathery, face was wrinkly, red all over and even my eyes. But the thing I want to ask which freaked me out into a panic attack was my lips and tongue turned blue with alot of lightheadedness.... God there a normal colour now but still feeling a decent amount lightheaded i have eaten since as well

youngsinatra

I recommend niacinamide, not niacin, because it doesn‘t cause this horrible flush.

The flush is caused by increased serotonin, histamine, prostaglandins - all things Ray Peat doesn‘t like.

michael94

I recommend niacinamide, not niacin, because it doesn‘t cause this horrible flush.

The flush is caused by increased serotonin, histamine, prostaglandins - all things Ray Peat doesn‘t like.
I think theres more to it than that

mostlylurking

I've switched to a very low carb diet I'm doing keto and and cut back on the booze alot plus I'm now down to about 1mg of Klonopin from 1.5. been taking a b complex, b1 and today I tried niacin with a quite intense flush. I knew your face and akin go red. Woke up today and my body temp was a bit cold, decided to take a b complex and niacin and my skin was leathery, face was wrinkly, red all over and even my eyes. But the thing I want to ask which freaked me out into a panic attack was my lips and tongue turned blue with alot of lightheadedness.... God there a normal colour now but still feeling a decent amount lightheaded i have eaten since as well
Why are you taking niacin??? Get some niacinamide. There is no need to nuke yourself. You are in a weakened state. Take some time to read Ray Peat and to listen to Ray Peat. Here: PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless use the cell on the left. Type Niacinamide into that cell. Also this: Ray Peat Search type Niacinamide into the search cell, videos will appear, listen to them.

Start here: Ray Peat, PhD Quotes on Therapeutic Effects of Niacinamide – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Why are you eating low carb/keto? Get some orange juice (drink at least a quart a day). Get some magnesium.

In order to save yourself, you must educate yourself. Rely on Ray Peat's sound knowledge.

B

Blaze

Took 1 500 mg capsule for the record
What you had sounds like more than just a simple case of Niacin flushing. The acute symptoms you experienced indicate your liver probably had a hard time with that dose of Niacin. While most people tolerate a high dose ok, someone's liver reacting negatively to Niacin at higher dosage is certainly not uncommon. Obviously, discontinue use. You should consider:

Trying a different brand name of B3 supplement. Maybe you bought a bad one. Try to find a trusted high quality supplement.
Or try a much lower dose
Or a completely different form of non-flushing niacin.

Dietary B3 requirements are low - just 16mg needed. My best advice to you would be no supplementation at all, get it from foods like chicken breast instead.

Link below to NIH info for Niacin for your convenience:

Last edited by a moderator:

RealNeat

Orange juice? Not as healthy as you think.

You must be new here. Go listen to what Dr. Peat has to say on OJ. Low carb guru Berg here displays the worst case scenerio and even then it's better than the low carb stress hormone diet. If a video as simple as this convinced you that Berg somehow discovered a hidden source of knowledge on the boogeyman known as processed orang juice, you need a glass of fresh orange juice to come back up to par.

Oh and using "coke" as a scare tactic is also ignorant, coke is anti inflammatory with beneficial herbs, caffeine, plenty of stress quenching sugar and even a little bit of CO2.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals