Newbie here , need some help

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
lazz said:
and crystal light??

Mexican coke is better choice! :D
YES!!
And for a treat, add a little Hagen Dazs too!

el-taco-atlanta-4.jpg

Peato Diet

@ Lazz - Are you still following/implementing 'Peatism'? There are quite a few people here into working out etc who im sure would be interested to hear the results/feedback from a competitive athlete like yourself.

Ray emphasis diary a lot. Ive heard bodybuilders drop diary when theyre trying to lose the last few pounds/inches. Do you think diary is an issue in this regard?

Regarding high protein intake, i dont think your breaking any Peat rules by consuming high amounts. Heres a quote:
"For intense exercise, it's about a gram per pound of body weight. I've always been very sedentary, but I have usually had close to 150 grams daily. " RP
Source: http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2011...ding-a-foundation-for-better-understandi.html

OP
L

lazz

Hey Peato.

Right now , im not doing Peat's diet 100% since im 5 weeks out a Physique Contest and cant experiment right now ... My carbs still kinda low , for 3 days and then on the 4th day I increase them to keep my muscles fuller , i also quit eating chicken , for protein , dropped PUFA's....regarding ways of getting in shape i ve done many. I think it's all about calories consumed vs calories burned....ive gotten ripped on low carbs high protein and also on high carbs -medium protein...asl ong as i keep dropping cals by 200 every 2 weeks , the lowest ive gone was 1400 daily....once im done with this contest I will do Peat's diet in full efffect.....I'll prob keep my protein intake about 1g per pound of lean mass and make carbs a good 70% of my diet.and yes we drop dairy cuz most get a bloated stomach but ..we'll see how that goes .I'll keep u posted

Dutchie

lazz said:
Hey Peato.

Right now , im not doing Peat's diet 100% since im 5 weeks out a Physique Contest and cant experiment right now ... My carbs still kinda low , for 3 days and then on the 4th day I increase them to keep my muscles fuller , i also quit eating chicken , for protein , dropped PUFA's....regarding ways of getting in shape i ve done many. I think it's all about calories consumed vs calories burned....ive gotten ripped on low carbs high protein and also on high carbs -medium protein...asl ong as i keep dropping cals by 200 every 2 weeks , the lowest ive gone was 1400 daily....once im done with this contest I will do Peat's diet in full efffect.....I'll prob keep my protein intake about 1g per pound of lean mass and make carbs a good 70% of my diet.and yes we drop dairy cuz most get a bloated stomach but ..we'll see how that goes .I'll keep u posted

Add some form of sugar to the milk,that will help digest it better so no bloated belly.

OP
L

lazz

i definitely will , but i like i said im weeks out i can start experimenting right now...after this show i will jump on - test peat's diet in full effect while stayin shredded...

OP
L

lazz

and speaking of...I just realized i am addicted to Oxtail ...lol... I am 1/2 Italian 1/2 Cuban , they can cook a mean one.!!! lol....ive been eating oxtail as my main source of protein for the past 2 weeks since i found out about Peat's guidelines -diet- you guys and my conditioning is getting even better....here is a pic

Peato Diet

If your after some recipe ideas theres the metabolic blueprint cookbook. I havnt bought it but i imagine the recipes are a bit more creative than mine:
http://eastwesthealing.com/shop/the-met ... -cookbook/

Ive had oxtail soup almost every day since starting. I cook approx 12 litres at a time using two 9.5 litre slow cookers then freeze in portions. Ill then add some potatoes or rice and sometimes liver. Fruit for dessert. You say youve been eating oxtail as your main source of protein. Do you mean the meat or the broth/soup? When i make the soup there isnt a lot of meat in it and because ive made it myself i find it almost impossible to tell how much protein is in it. Whats your daily protein intake? What do you weigh?

Regarding whey i found this entry:
"i emailed ray peat about the type of whey protein i use..
He said it sounds ok but he would recommend fresh milk or dry milk powder first."
Source: http://peatarian.com/12213/critque-my-t ... 213#q12213

For carbs will you favour fruits or potatoes and/or rice, or a combination (regarding potatoes, ray recommends a long cooking time of at least 40 minutes i think to break down the starches so closer to glucose. I would assume this also applies to rice for the same reason. I cook my spuds 10 KG at a time and freeze in portions)?

As Charlies pointed out already some forum members here compiled an overview of rays dietary suggestions (very helpful):
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20

Theres also a helpful index of keywords here:
http://peatarian.com/private-corresponding
http://www.dannyroddy.com/2011/12/29/ra ... tandi.html
http://www.dannyroddy.com/2012/4/23/ray ... ideas.html

OP
L

lazz

Peato,

like i said im not doing Peat's diet 100% yet , only after my show i will experiment with high carbs but obviously in order to stay shredded i will cycle my total daily calories since carbs will be a good 70% of total cals
at the moment im 5'10 198 pounds.( i used to be 235 lbs when roided up...dont care about size , more about conditioning and im doing a men physique show , NOT bodybuilding and free of chemicals......again , im not saying this is the healthiest way to do things but currently is what im doing ...i do cardio on threadmill every morning on empty stomach ( black coffee before cardio)'
then i go home and

meal 1 4 eggs whites, 3 yolks raw organic -free range eggs
4 oz of O.J

Meal 2 6 oz of wild caught shrimp\
1 tbs of coconut oil
blueberries

TRAIN WITH WEIGHTS

meal 3. gelatin powder (great lakes)
5 oz milk
8 o.j

meal 4 ... grassfed oxtail (cuban way in salsa , pressure cooker , with oninon ,green peppers , white wine, tomato pure, garlic , cummin, oregano ,salt ,)

meal 5 .. oysters or 4-5 oz of lamb liver
ccoked in coconut oil

meal6...... 6 eggs raw

I RECENTLY added a couple of cups of coffee daily with sugar but early in the day

Rolan

Got to get my hands on some ox tail.

I'd be interested to see how you do on a Peat-thingy, with whole milk, and if you can maintain that level of lean-ness. Back in my BB'ing days 5 years ago I would drink tons and tons of milk - It would bloat me, I put on some fat around the middle, but my muscle mass increased quite rapidly and in a rather insane manner. Not to mention pure strength. I was deadlifting like it was nothing. I stopped all that though. Now I drink whole milk and have absolutely no bloating, so It's about what one eats in conjunction with I suppose. Time will tell whether eating 180g cheese/4 pints of milk per day with OJ and other solid food will lead to weight gain. Eating mass quantities of starch and butter over the last 2 years has made me leaner than I have ever been, ironically.

OP
L

lazz

Rolan said:
Got to get my hands on some ox tail.

I'd be interested to see how you do on a Peat-thingy, with whole milk, and if you can maintain that level of lean-ness. Back in my BB'ing days 5 years ago I would drink tons and tons of milk - It would bloat me, I put on some fat around the middle, but my muscle mass increased quite rapidly and in a rather insane manner. Not to mention pure strength. I was deadlifting like it was nothing. I stopped all that though. Now I drink whole milk and have absolutely no bloating, so It's about what one eats in conjunction with I suppose. Time will tell whether eating 180g cheese/4 pints of milk per day with OJ and other solid food will lead to weight gain. Eating mass quantities of starch and butter over the last 2 years has made me leaner than I have ever been, ironically.

good to hear ,bro...I'll probably go for 2% instead of whole milk....then again if i wanna stay lean i'll probably up my cardio a bit or lower my total daily cals...we'll see

OP
L

lazz

wth , now i read danny roddy on twitter saying somehing about organic corn tortillas..??? arent tortillas a starch????

4peatssake

lazz said:
wth , now i read danny roddy on twitter saying somehing about organic corn tortillas..??? arent tortillas a starch????
Everything in context.
Ray Peat eats masa harina. You can make your own corn tortillas cooked in coconut oil.
White rice, masa harina and russett potatoes (if you tolerate theses) are considered safe starches.
It will take time to fully understand the world of Ray Peat.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Starches if tolerated but not optimal. :2cents

4peatssake

Charlie said:
Starches if tolerated but not optimal. :2cents
Ray is clear about sugar rather than starch being optimal.

Ray Peat said:
Starch and glucose efficiently stimulate insulin secretion, and that accelerates the disposition of glucose, activating its conversion to glycogen and fat, as well as its oxidation. Fructose inhibits the stimulation of insulin by glucose, so this means that eating ordinary sugar, sucrose (a disaccharide, consisting of glucose and fructose), in place of starch, will reduce the tendency to store fat. Eating “complex carbohydrates,” rather than sugars, is a reasonable way to promote obesity. Eating starch, by increasing insulin and lowering the blood sugar, stimulates the appetite, causing a person to eat more, so the effect on fat production becomes much larger than when equal amounts of sugar and starch are eaten. The obesity itself then becomes an additional physiological factor; the fat cells create something analogous to an inflammatory state. There isn't anything wrong with a high carbohydrate diet, and even a high starch diet isn't necessarily incompatible with good health, but when better foods are available they should be used instead of starches. For example, fruits have many advantages over grains, besides the difference between sugar and starch. Bread and pasta consumption are strongly associated with the occurrence of diabetes, fruit consumption has a strong inverse association.

OP
L

lazz

alright, good to know there are other options for carbs besides O.J , fruits, etc....even though i do not mind eating the same foods day in and out..I mean Peat's diet is a walk in the park for me sort of speak .....compare to the bodybuilding diets ive followed for years...plain ,dry foods, low carb crap ,sodium, sugar , water deprived for longs periods of time..Peat;s diet is like paradise..lol

so screw starches...give me SUGARY STUFF.. :D

OP
L

lazz

Well guys , I must with all honesty say after 2 weeks on Peat's diet and of course the addition of carbs in form of sugars , the problems with libido and unstable sex drive I was having are GONE!!...Call it common sense , call it a miracle , call it science..i feel lucky as hell to have found this forum , peat's articles, danny roddys website ,etc..and like Charlie said in one of his posts on this thread.. it hit me now , I found the truth...life changing , it's a blessing. Long live Dr Peat. , you Sir are D MAN.!!

Peato Diet

Thats quick to start noticing results like that (Im the opposite, my libido has gone down since peating/upping the carbs). Where do you think the benefits have come from ie changing the macro-nutrient ratios and/or the source of carbs ie from starches to simple sugars? Are you still losing the bodyfat at a steady rate? Do you still cycle carbs to reboot insulin sensitivity? Do you think you would be able to control the fat loss as well without carb cycling (which is probably something ray would be against)? Have you upped the diary and if so do you have any bloating/digestive issues?

Ive put on quite a bit of fat since going from keto for approx 1.5 years to high carb (as you mentioned this could be down to simple calories in/calories out), so im going to experiment with some sort of carb cycling myself. http://natemiyaki.com/ looks like a good source for such info.

OP
L

lazz

my libido is extremely high now after jumping 100% on Peat.diet.

yesm I am keep getting lean because I increase my daily cardio so i'll burn more cals

my total daily cals are around 1800 spread over 5 meals ,65% of them being carbs (sugars) motsly organic orange juice.

on low carbs or keto I had zero sex drive or very unstable...I was horny one day and limp for the next 3...NOT since I upped my sugars and dairy ...and elimated PUFa'S ...last week was and excuse my language a '**** FEST'..lol..every day ,all day,..couldn't be any happier...