Newbee looking for inflammation free sleep.

whitnatchee

I have noticed ideas here for getting better sleep. Lots of suggestions for a big glass of milk right before bed, but I cannot drink milk, or I should say that it does not agree with me. Tried it for 4 days last week and felt terrible. It did taste good though! Especially the chocolate ice cream!
I can get to sleep easily and sleep good for the first 3 to 4 hours, but after that my whole upper trunk goes into an inflammatory state, I cannot sleep with out total pain. Upon awaking its total pain and brain fog for hours, if not all day.
I have been eating a RP type diet, 80 grams of protein, potatoes, roots and fruits, gelatin, bone broth, OJ, salt coconut oil, butter, egg shell calcium, one aspirin, magnesium oil, epsom salt baths, etc. for months.
Has anyone tried a couple of tablespoons of honey before bed and during the nite?
If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to respond. Thanks for your help.

Dan W

Can you describe the inflammatory state a little more? Is it tight/inflamed muscles from being immobile?

When do you take the aspirin? It might be worth taking it before bed, or increasing the dose. I think there's mixed opinions on whether aspirin helps or hinders sleep, but it seems worth a shot.

jyb

If I remember correctly, the protocols to get the milk digestion working take weeks, gradually increasing dose, not 4 days. I guess you can always get calcium from eggshell, but I personally don't know how I'd manage getting enough protein consistently (100g since I'm fairly tall) without dairy products, it's just so much easier too.

I drink OJ and a few cubes sugar before bed rather than pure sugar or honey on its own - I feel better. And during the day and evening plenty of gelatin.

Peata

I keep a squeeze bottle of honey on nightstand. If I wake up in night and feel a familiar feeling along with thoughts racing, I know I won't get back to sleep unless I take the honey. Two or three big squeezes and I'm relaxed and going to sleep again around 20 min.

Last night I used the honey to help me fall asleep, as it had been too long since I'd eaten and I felt the feelings and thought racing/worry that I knew meant I needed the sugar.

I'm going to start carrying a small bottle of honey around in my bag and see how it works during the day too, when certain situations arise. Not for sleep then, of course, but just relaxation.

jyb

Peata said:
I keep a squeeze bottle of honey on nightstand. If I wake up in night and feel a familiar feeling along with thoughts racing, I know I won't get back to sleep unless I take the honey. Two or three big squeezes and I'm relaxed and going to sleep again around 20 min.

For that purpose, would you say that honey is similar to sugar cubes? I'd get an insulin response with pure sugar on its own, feeling even more hungry shortly after, so I always prefer OJ.

Peata

jyb said:
Peata said:

For that purpose, would you say that honey is similar to sugar cubes? I'd get an insulin response with pure sugar on its own, feeling even more hungry shortly after, so I always prefer OJ.

I don't know, as I haven't tried to just eat sugar alone. But no, I do not feel more hungry from the honey. I don't like to take liquids too close to bed very often.

J

j.

Try lights. You could have the plug next to your bed. When you wake up in the middle of the night, turn on the lights immediately, 1000 Watts for one or two minutes, plus drink some honey like Peata mentioned. That might suppress your stress hormones very quickly.

kiran

j. said:
Try lights. You could have the plug next to your bed. When you wake up in the middle of the night, turn on the lights immediately, 1000 Watts for one or two minutes, plus drink some honey like Peata mentioned. That might suppress your stress hormones very quickly.

Gotta be wary on this one. If you're short of sugar, bright light can exacerbate the problem by increasing metabolism. Besides I'm not sure I'd really like 1000W in the middle of the night .... :lol:

J

j.

kiran said:
Gotta be wary on this one. If you're short of sugar, bright light can exacerbate the problem by increasing metabolism. Besides I'm not sure I'd really like 1000W in the middle of the night .... :lol:

That's what the honey is for. You should cover your eyes with a shirt or something for a few minutes.

OP
W

whitnatchee

Well after reading all your replies I typed in the word "Aspirin" in the search box and read 15 pages. I had no idea the benefits of aspirin. I have always avoided it and have been encouraged to take IBprofen.
Yesterday I took 6 tablets and sugar before bed, I slept better, and did not wake with quite as much pain.
I move a lot during the day, doing physical work, so when I cannot work I get depressed.
Today I took 6 aspirin tablets, so we will see what happens overnight.
I really enjoy reading all the past topics and want to thank everyone here for their time contributing and sharing their experiences so others can learn.
Thanks and looking forward to more knowledge.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
whitnatchee said:
Yesterday I took 6 tablets and sugar before bed, I slept better, and did not wake with quite as much pain.
:eek: That's an incredible amount of aspirin to start with.

OP
W

whitnatchee

opps! Sorry.
6 tablets over 24 hours.
Today I be using 4 tables over 24 hours. 9am, 1 pm, 5 pm, 9pm.

BingDing

What has worked best for me is to keep sugar intake up in the four+ hours before I go to bed. A dose of sugar before going to bed isn't enough. Our metabolism only decreases about 20% when we sleep so we still need lots of glucose/glycogen to keep oxidative respiration going; sleeping is fasting for 8 hours (if you're lucky, LOL), which is part of why stress hormones increase.

This idea converges nicely with the idea of eating lots of small meals, just reduce protein (other than gelatin) in the small meal at 6 pm, 8 pm, 10 pm.